What's new

New 11 Year Waka (Micronized)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZdude

Kava Curious
If you are buying the BHK Micronized, I highly (and I can't say this loud enough) recommend that you strain it. The Micro from GHK is 100 percent noble with no Makas so straining is optional. However those people whose stomachs are sensitive to any kind of fiber will normaly strain. Here is a technique for straining Kava on the Kava Library. It includes a second wash.
Do you know the situation with the 11year and makas? The website description reads "This kava is micronized using a special method to produce a ridiculously fine grind and remove the least soluble root parts. " So sounds like they remove something? BKH I find hard to get hold of - i emailed them over a week ago about something else, and havent got a reply :unsure:

D

Deleted User01

lol, you may be right on that Noueky but Resiak has that micro and its killing his stomach so straining might help a little bit. Has anyone tested that Kava for Nobility? That is also a potential issue based on the test results we saw of all the other Kavas which we once thought of as Noble. It seems like the farmers in some of the Islands are blending fools and the newsletter from Chris kinda explains how all that went down in the 1990s. Can you imagine tossing and washing Tudie, Makas and all?

But at this point its pure speculation on my part. I'm just a little gun shy since Harpos test results shattered my illusions about the Nobility of Kava we have been drinking for years.

D

Deleted User01

NZDude. Those in the know say the grind is grittier than the powder like stuff from GHK. Whoever the wholesaler is that sells this Kava does not have the technique that GHK has honed down over the years. Anyway, Resiak getting sick has just raised a red flag for the rest of us. It would give me peace of mind if I could see some test results. Sorry guys, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm gun shy after the last batch of testing results.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Have to say that if they do not process there kava to remove makas (which is very hard and involved) from there kava, it would be just ground very fine, makas and all. The reason I know this is because the makas has a certain smell, texture and taste, I know this because I have micronized makas before just to see what it would smell like, taste like and to feel the texture. The makas is the hardest part of the kava plant and that is what makes this kava feel and taste a bit different.
So now if that is the case you are drinking everything that was in the kava, the good stuff and the bad stuff you know that it does have the potential of giving you stomach problems. This is due to the higher amounts of DHK and the DHM that is in the makas and maybe even the hard fibrous makas too just as a insoluble fiber. I also did the solvent test and it is not as accurate as Harpos test but my results show it to be questionable. It looks nothing like any Noble kava I have tested before. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
If it walks and talks like a spiked kava full of makas then it might just be that.
Chris with all due respect I think that's kind of a harsh statement. To me it implies that someone is intentional spiking kava with makas, when in fact it's simply just part of the plant that almost all kava products contain. ::happyshell::

D

Deleted User01

Chris with all due respect I think that's kind of a harsh statement. To me it implies that someone is intentional spiking kava with makas, when in fact it's simply just part of the plant that almost all kava products contain. ::happyshell::
Headgie, I disagree. When we buy Medium Grind Powder, it has makas and that is normal. Since it is medium grind, it is easily strained so we don't worry about it. Now take that same Medium Grind Powder and grind it very fine and call it micronized. Now you are toss and washing both Kava and Makas. If you strain the Micronized, you may be able to catch some of it. Anyway, that's my understanding, anyone care to comment?

D

Deleted User01

So Chris is also saying that the Fiji did not test well. But you don't spike Kava with Makas, all medium ground has it as far as I know. Comments people ....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Quote removed due to privacy request
Possibly right @Deleted User, just saying I think it's a poor choice of words and could use more clarification. I don't want everyone thinking that now makas is harmful in some way. It's a benefit not to have it, but I don't it's harmful in anyway (except for possibly the gas cloud around me).

D

Deleted User01

We don't know how bad Makas is because we strain it. We don't toss and wash Medium Powder. The minority who toss and wash Medium Grind have way more problems than those that don't. So that's one issue.
The other issue is if the kava is Tudayish, the Makas are going to be that much more harmful. But hedgie, if you strain your Tuday, you are going to have waaayyyyy less problems and side effects. If you toss and wash Tuday, you are going to turn into a yellow eyed alligator skinned Hepatoxic Zombie. And I say this with all due respect. :D Ain't that right
Frosty?
::frosty:: So right.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
In relation to the long history of kava, the idea of manufacturing/selling "micro kava" is such a new concept, the definitions relative are still evolving. In speaking of micro in the sense of how kava has been consumed through history, and given the fact traditionally makas are not consumed perhaps the term spiking micro with makas is indeed appropriate.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I don't think any of us can say for sure whether or not this 11 yr micro has the makas removed. Since we are not there to see the processing, it's all just assumption. But the implication, in the description, that it is removed...sounds like a new addition that was deliberately put there more recently to compete with Chris' stuff that is verifiably maka-free.
I personally don't care much, either way, about makas. But I do see the benefit of removal, for a product intended for toss-n-wash. When we make a 2nd and 3rd wash of regular kava, we are drinking a maka-made-kava. We just aren't swallowing the actual makas (mostly).
Remember the good old days, when people used to save their makas, dry them out, repackage them and sell it as new kava. :wacky:

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

perhaps the term spiking micro with makas is indeed appropriate.
I will agree with that. It was a poor choice of words. If you grind Medium Grind into Fine grind, then you are going to get the natural Makas that exists in Medium Grind. You didn't spike it, you just didn't make an effort to remove it. And it does take a big effort to remove it, it's no small deal. Hedgie, that was probablly your point all along. That's why we have to kick these thinks around. We certainly do not live in a Makaless world.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
In relation to the long history of kava, the idea of manufacturing/selling "micro kava" is such a new concept, the definitions relative are still evolving. In speaking of micro in the sense of how kava has been consumed through history, and given the fact traditionally makas are not consumed perhaps the term spiking micro with makas is indeed appropriate.

You guys missed the point a bit, but that's ok. Makas are not to be consumed if we wish to follow the way kava has been used for centuries. GHK kava has no makas thus in reality if Chris wished to make more margin he could by adding more weight with makas.

In essence it would be spiked according to definition "an abrupt sharp increase", spiked for an increase in profits by something which traditionally and currently we do not wish to consume

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I am very sorry if my post implied anything that was inappropriate, this was not my intention. I have edited my post and I hope it is better than the last one. I am not very good with words sometimes but I am passionate about kava, it has been my life for a very long time, it is a part of me and I know it inside and out. I just want all others to enjoy kava like I do. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
We don't know how bad Makas is because we strain it. We don't toss and wash Medium Powder. The minority who toss and wash Medium Grind have way more problems than those that don't. So that's one issue.
The other issue is if the kava is Tudayish, the Makas are going to be that much more harmful. But hedgie, if you strain your Tuday, you are going to have waaayyyyy less problems and side effects. If you toss and wash Tuday, you are going to turn into a yellow eyed alligator skinned Hepatoxic Zombie. And I say this with all due respect. :D Ain't that right
Frosty?
::frosty:: So right.
My rating for your sentence in bold above. ::shit2::::shit2::::shit2::::shit2::::shit2::

Status
Not open for further replies.