What's new

Best bang for your buck?

infraredz

BULA!
There's no reason for you to stop discussing this at all. I was just addressing the seemingly hostile and argumentative tone of your comments. I frankly feel no need to prove you wrong whereas it seems the same couldn't be said for you although my perception could be wrong for obvious reasons. If it is, apologies.

To address the edit to your post, I didn't "forget the 2nd part of his quote" as I addressed it when saying ["We all know that solvent extractions are going to yield a higher concentration of everything as the info that you cited confirms"]. What I said is that of course there will be a higher (and dangerous) concentration of FKB in solvent extracts than in water. You're correct, the ethanol increase the concentration of FKB significantly relative to kavalactones. I would guess the FKB's polarity, dipole moment, etc is different than kavalactones' and would account for the difference in extraction due to the solvents used (EtOH vs H2O) but the reality is that solvents extract FKB more readily (in relation to kavalactones) than water.

The question that needs to be answered is what is the concentration of FKB in aqueous preparations of kava. Until that information is released, I'm not losing anything by choosing to not drink Koniak or ISA. It's not like there aren't other amazing kavas out there that don't have the potential for adverse effects. I've had a significant amount of correspondence with Dr. Lebot and choose to take his advice. You can choose to take Johnson's advice. It's really no skin off my back, but I do feel the need to point out these potentially harmful properties of Koniak since we have a lot of new members.

infraredz

BULA!
No need to move on at all. I think that it is good to have civil debate about these things and this is something that is definitely worth discussing.

While (I don't think) any of us are qualified researchers, science is defined as, "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment". What we are doing is essentially a critical review of the data we have and frankly, we are all scientists to some degree.

For those who know of Ed Johnson, could anyone link me to any of his research? I tried looking through Google Scholar and couldn't find anything.

Last edited:

infraredz

BULA!
Hey man, there's no reason to delete your posts at all. I think that it's valuable to have as much discourse and such as possible.

You presented some very good questions, analysis and discussion on the topic of tudei and I appreciate your participation in the discussion here. I (and others I would assume) deeply value your input and participation in the community here... I don't even know if we even disagreed, but even if we did, as long as people are civil there is no reason to not discuss this stuff. For the community here, we need the kind of material that you contributed in order to further not just our forum, but also the kava community as a whole.

Shit, there is more legit scientific evidence here than any other forum I've ever seen and it's due to people like you utilizing your intellect.