What's new

Acetone test results megathread

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The thread is a fine idea...all I'm saying is that it should clearly prefaced with the knowledge and understanding that the results from various people's attempts, various lighting, various camera settings and various monitors will produce somewhat varied and inexact results that could possibly be misleading and are most certainly shaky science to base any definitive opinions on. I just want to make sure that any random future reader understands that the thread and the method are just a rough idea of what your kava really is.
rasp[1].jpg

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Okay, so maybe my original purpose of this thread were a little too ambitious. Although I did wind up with a lab coat and pencil pouch (don't ask), I suppose you will say I am not a scientist, mad or almost sane. Therefore, it would be difficult to judge consistency over time due to conditions not very controlled over time. In conclusion, I would still like a acetone test result megathread where they are all kept together. I am wondering if we should keep it on this thread since it already has information dealing with possible issues or not. What does everyone think?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Okay, so maybe my original purpose of this thread were a little too ambitious. Although I did wind up with a lab coat and pencil pouch (don't ask), I suppose you will say I am not a scientist, mad or almost sane. Therefore, it would be difficult to judge consistency over time due to conditions not very controlled over time. In conclusion, I would still like a acetone test result megathread where they are all kept together. I am wondering if we should keep it on this thread since it already has information dealing with possible issues or not. What does everyone think?
It's headed in the right direction, everyone is krunked (most of the time), so it takes time to get things done ;)

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
As always it's hard to get really true to color photos but these both turned out looking really good (noble). The one thing I'm unsure of is if the rice maltodetrin in the kava king throws off the accuracy of the test. You can see a white cloud at the top of the vial that I assume is from this ingredient.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I try to use natural light for the photos but it is a pretty overcast day today. I'll shoot the white backdrop photos again once the sun comes out, it may make for a more accurate photo.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Yea, hard to tell. When I look at these pics on my phone, both look close to that kbr tudei. But obviously you can see these colours better, more accurately. I did one test with kk a known noble a while ago and it seemed much more orange, but I wasnt 100% sure as I didnt have any tudei left for comparison

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I think I need to use different comparison kavas as well. The Nene is really light even when compared to other TK approved kavas and the KBR Tudei really isn't all that orange. It makes it look like everything I test is somewhere in between. The Tudei I am stuck with, it was gifted to me by one of our vendors and I am certainly not going to buy any Tudei!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Maybe everything you test really is in between?;)

Perhaps you could ask Chris for a small Isa sample next time you order some noble from him?

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe everything you test really is in between?;)

Perhaps you could ask Chris for a small Isa sample next time you order some noble from him?
It's possible that that is the case, with no color charts to compare it to it really comes down to a personal judgment. I really need some really evil looking Tudei to increase the contrast but that may only make adulterated kavas look less so. This is really a pretty imprecise science.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I've found that Deleted User's "simple acetone" test (on a piece of paper) works sometimes better than the normal one, especially if you have a few samples.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm not sure Nene is the best choice for Noble reference.(better than nothing though) Since Nene is the lightest yellow of all the tested nobles, it could make you question the purity of a Noble from the darker side of the noble spectrum. It's unfortunate that there's such a spectrum, even within nobles and tudeis and everything in between...it makes the fringe results look suspect and blurs the line of what we can definitively discern with our eyes.

I put a lot of faith in Stone kava and assume it's a strong noble, like it always has been. But that's not to say there could never be a slip up.