What's new

Which is best for anxiety/panic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
To add on to this I struggle with anxiety daily and Mo'i tends to amplify my anxiety after a while or if I continue to drink it over a long span of time (meaning hours). I recently took some Mo'i to a large wedding reception and eventually I had a panic attack and left after a few hours. I think it's too "heady" if you will. I'm interested to know what other Hawaiian kavas might be recommended. Love Mo'i for soemething like hanging at home and playing/listening to music or TV/movies/gaming but big public events can be overwhelming. Thinking about trying Hanakapi' Ai at some point soon for big events I remember trying this a couple years back and was surprised at how it affected my anxiety (in a good way). I liked the Boroguru tried that a while back also.
Look into Papa Kea or Mahakea, those are excellent kavas, imo the Hanakapi'ai is on the other end of the spectrum to Moi.

Last edited:

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Well after taking both mahakea and Nene lately I will say Nene feels more anti anxiety but is very mild unless I take more I really don't get any head, body , or sedating effects. So I can see using it in the day.

The mahakea is really a balance of everything I am drinking some currently and I feel a bit heady and heavy it's a nice balance and a nice price. Personally I prefer very sedating kava. Sadly bula kava house doesnt carry boroguru anymore. Anyone know how gkh boroguru stacks up?
GHKs borogoru is one of my favorite kavas. It is sedating and muscle relaxing. Feels great.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
To add on to this I struggle with anxiety daily and Mo'i tends to amplify my anxiety after a while or if I continue to drink it over a long span of time (meaning hours). I recently took some Mo'i to a large wedding reception and eventually I had a panic attack and left after a few hours. I think it's too "heady" if you will. I'm interested to know what other Hawaiian kavas might be recommended. Love Mo'i for soemething like hanging at home and playing/listening to music or TV/movies/gaming but big public events can be overwhelming. Thinking about trying Hanakapi' Ai at some point soon for big events I remember trying this a couple years back and was surprised at how it affected my anxiety (in a good way). I liked the Boroguru tried that a while back also.
Dont take too much of either and you will be fine at public events. Both are good and strong and stress relieving.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Here is my personal break down of Chris's wonderful collection of Awa, because there is no wrong GHK kava. There is only what suits the individual better;

Moi - The headiest kava from his line up, very heady, amazing anxiety relief, a must for those of us who experience frequent overwhelming panic attacks and or GAD.
Mahakea - A more balanced root, with equally wonderful anxiety relief, a bit more on the balanced side. Good body feeling, slightly sedating.
Boroguru - A kava that leans more towards a heavier/sedating effect, it's a peppery kava and takes a bit more to get used to.
Nene - The sleep like a champ kava, this kava is surprisingly lighter, but say night night, it will be likely the best night of sleep you'll ever have, many think this is a lighter kava and flavor wise it is, but don't underestimate this amazing root.
Fiji - A great introduction to the wonderful world Fijian kava, Awesome anxiety relief, my favorite region.
Hanakapi Ai - This is a Friday kava, it is potent, probably the the strongest kava in his lineup, I found out really quick this is the equivalent of getting shit faced on Friday night. If you are one of those people looking for that type of experience, look no further.
Hiwa - A stronger kava, leaning towards heavy (you ain't going no where for a while) type of root, again wonderful for a nighttime or your off today kava.
Papa Kea - I found this kava to be similar to Moi but not as intense, also great for anxiety relief.

The thing I took away from all his kavas is that we all react to them differently, my experiences may not be equal to every ones experience, that's why tried them all ;)

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Yes. Trying them all is a must! For me the heady Kavas ramp up my anxiety, moi worked maybe once and then after that gave me the jitters for days. Sometimes a kava will work great and I'll drink it for a while before I get non desired effects.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Well been drinking some of the boroguru today. Its nice and heavy as good as the BKH boroguru was honestly. Thank God I found anyone reliable source of it. The Nene is fine but it miss sometimes it hits me like a rock, others nothing but I sleep well on it. Mahakea is entirely beautiful and I think my favorite of the ones I have tried and I can see it as my staple and boroguru as something to relax or if I have something coming up that is seriously anxiety inducing.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I dismissed papakea after it made me a little edgey one day, but ive since become a bit more accustomed to the strong body kavas Im curious if everyone thinks papakea is a good choice for op. I also havent tried the current batch afaik

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I am willing to try anything twice. I noticed with melomelo sometimes I'd get intense anxiety for about 10-20 minutes than it would go away and I would feel calm. Maybe would happen with papakea no idea how heady it is compared to melomelo.

D

Deleted User01

Just had me some Hanakapi + Moi. ON the Papa Kea, I really liked it on the weekends after doing all the back breaking chores. I always though it was great for Pain. Made me forget I hurt too. But you never know how a Kava strain is going to interact with your own chemotype.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
For my body chemistry, high yangonin kava (Mo'i is one) can actually increase anxiety during the "peak" (45 minutes after first shell) before tapering down.

I've never found a more relaxing and anti-anxiety kava than Nene. Maybe Papa Kea, but that's probably too much anxiety relief for me.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm I don't get much from Nene and for the price I find boroguru a better deal. I will say Nene makes me sleep for 11 hours straight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.