What's new

Which is best for anxiety/panic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry I'm sure it's been asked, I am running out of my boroguru BHV and needed to restock up and was wondering which GHK medium grind was best for the ole anxiety demon. I generally just take a teaspoons worth and chew it to take the edge off so any recommendations I'd be grateful for.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sorry I'm sure it's been asked, I am running out of my boroguru BHV and needed to restock up and was wondering which GHK medium grind was best for the ole anxiety demon. I generally just take a teaspoons worth and chew it to take the edge off so any recommendations I'd be grateful for.
In my opinion moi is the way to go, I find the headier kavas more suitable for anxiety relief, the heavier kavas (the ones that are more sedating) like nene are wonderful night time kavas. GHK doesn't sell anything bad, His Fiji waka is great too.

D

Deleted User01

Nene is my alltime favorite for sleep. Mo'i is great for daytime use. I use it to pick me up when I start getting frazzled around 3pm. It picks up my attitude and I sprint to the finish line.

D

Deleted User01

I tried the Boroguru and it was heavy as expected. It's good. The one he sells now is grown elsewhere. However, his locally planted boroguru kavas are almost ready to be harvested and he posted a heads up the other day. Currently, I have some Hanapaki Ai' for weekend use. It is also heavy. It wipes my mind clear and so I can't do it during working hours. It's strong but I can't tell you if it is good for anxiety though making you "mindless" is a good way to flush out all the crap that makes a person worry and get anxious. It's a good couch potato kava.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm will try a half pound of the moi, Nene, and boroguru. Meh have to wait a bit I think our postal service is shutting down . I'm not sure if a big fan of heady, I think melo melo has a little heady and sometimes when taking it I would get intense anxiety for 10-20 mins , but then would be fine.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm will try a half pound of the moi, Nene, and boroguru. Meh have to wait a bit I think our postal service is shutting down . I'm not sure if a big fan of heady, I think melo melo has a little heady and sometimes when taking it I would get intense anxiety for 10-20 mins , but then would be fine.
If you are getting 3 bags then I would agree with @Jonathan and @Summer on the Mahakea. It is great stuff and superior to the boroguru in my opinion. Nene is heavy, Moi heady and Mahakea is perfectly balanced.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I would definitley get some diversity but I'm feeling pretty anxious from some moi and used some herbs / wow kava to calm down a bit.
Nene is a great kava to calm down from other kavas for sure

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Ok guys you convinced me on the Nene and mahakea. Will try a half of each since I still have some boroguru still, if I enjoy those I will be sure to get a pound of each. Here's to hoping Canada post doesn't strike so I can put my order in Monday.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Ok boys the kava is here thanks to my old lady for the wonderful gift. I am going with some Nene first to see how well it does, and in honor of the islands I'm listening to Hapa, Lei Manoa to start it off.

Taking a sip, perhaps the best tasting kava I have ever had i am kinda of tossing and washing as I don't use as much. I have always stuck kava under my tongue or just chewed it so I find the toss and wash works fine for me. I stuck about two teaspoons in a whiskey glass and threw some water and stirred for 10 mins now drinking and being my mouth for a bit before swallowing. The flavour is almost sweet, this is medium grind so there are some roots, beautiful texture. Very mild and overwhelming at all, wonderful. I am chewing the roots that put up they are a bit in the wiry side so this might not br the best for toss and wash if you don't chew on them.

Lei Pikake is on now and I am starting to feel the first effects. I can feel it in my face a bit in the heels almost like the world is giving me a hug, very pleasant. The island music God's wonderfully with this causing me to imagine the beautiful lush green landscapes, sunlight cascading down to caress my skin and inviting me to indulge in the mysterious of this paradise. So far this doesn't feel very heady to me nor very heavy I feel a slight relaxation in my lungs as I breathe but not the same heaviness as boroguru. A lot more gentle, I feel I could very active on this kava not a lot of couch lock. Very relaxing yet alert, no drowsiness but just a calm sense that everything is ok. This would be perfect for hiking a trail and getting lost in the scenery just appreciating this beautiful moment that this is allowing me.

Next song is La 'Elima by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, I forgot how beautiful these people were with their inhebrating culture. I use to date a Hawaiian girl for a few years and this is bringing it back. Her big round eyes that looked at me with such love as you couldn't imagine, her full lips which spoke softly and beguiling words to weave a web around me that never appreciated at the time as much as I should have.

Very relaxed now. Just chewing some roots a tad bit of couch lock, this stuff is very subtle I feel it in my fave and creeping down to my arms, almost a warmth of relaxation very introspective I notice my thoughts but much more objective to them. I'd say the effects are about 4 out of 5 not too strong which is very nice. My anxiety level is at a negative 10, granted I'm in a comfortable chair with a candle and incense lit listening to peaceful music but this is really helping , so far so good totally beautiful experience I am grateful to take part of. Thank you very much Gourmet kava for this gift.

Last edited:

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Meh lots of auto correct errors on a phone, you get the gist of it , peace.

On my second glass, the song on is Sleep by Godspeed you! Black emperor. Fits well with the mood I am currently. I am amazed how smooth the feeling of this. I just feel warm all over especially my cheeks it's nice that is not very head nor heavy, but the anti anxiety is definitely there I had a moment happen normally where I could have had a jolt of panic, but nothing but smooth sailing for this boy. I'm not sure if you could get very krunked on this, not that I am going to try and I am taking more than I normally would for antianxiety purposes. I am just trying to get the full effects. I feel gentle push on my chest almost like a lovers arm draped over my body or head nestled between my moobs. It's very nice boroguru I did use. Akot more heavy effect /affect? On my breathing and this is a nice subtle change, it almost give me a me a feeling of peace, but not meditative. Much more alert than that I'm not sure if I can meditate on this. I will try in a bit.

Next song is Moya from Godspeed, I honestly feel like classical or post rock music is the best for kava. It just creates gorgeous atmosphere that is easy to get lost in, I feel like I am.flosting on warm water with the waves lapping against me kissing my skin, begging me not to leave. A man could easily get lost in this. Remind me of I win lotto max this week to move to Hawaii and drink this on the beach at dusk so I can spend a night gazing at the stars, listening to the universe whisper "I love you." This honestly makes me hope for a better tomorrow. I feel very optimistic. Warmth seeping into my lungs almost like warm soup sinking into my stomach, very pleasant.

Not noticing any hunger just a contentment. I think I smell a skunk so going to close my windows. Next song is moorestown by SunKilMoon a very sad song. I feel kava makes me very empathetic. I can feel the sweetness and sorrow of this song, causing me to relive past loves lost, the beautiful times where you would just take refuge in one another and felt safe because it felt like no other person in the world understood you. Not sad, happy to have experienced that to experience everything really. Its been a wild ride and I look forward to what's ahead. This stjff is very introspective I feel myself living mental movies in my head. Not that I zone out, but but more like to at the driveins I can see in my peripheral but I dare not look away from the beautiful imagines in my mind. Next song is The canyon behind her by Dredg. Their album el cielo is such a spiritual experience I feel like a heady kava would go great with a listen.

Anways I babbled enough gonna check out, peace, love, ans chicken grease.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
On

I'm gonna order a moi and boroguru next week now that I know my stupid mail isn't going to shut down.
The boroguru is a bit heavier, if that's what you like, go for it. I'd get the Fijian waka instead, with the Moi, excellent kavas.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
To add on to this I struggle with anxiety daily and Mo'i tends to amplify my anxiety after a while or if I continue to drink it over a long span of time (meaning hours). I recently took some Mo'i to a large wedding reception and eventually I had a panic attack and left after a few hours. I think it's too "heady" if you will. I'm interested to know what other Hawaiian kavas might be recommended. Love Mo'i for soemething like hanging at home and playing/listening to music or TV/movies/gaming but big public events can be overwhelming. Thinking about trying Hanakapi' Ai at some point soon for big events I remember trying this a couple years back and was surprised at how it affected my anxiety (in a good way). I liked the Boroguru tried that a while back also.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Well after taking both mahakea and Nene lately I will say Nene feels more anti anxiety but is very mild unless I take more I really don't get any head, body , or sedating effects. So I can see using it in the day.

The mahakea is really a balance of everything I am drinking some currently and I feel a bit heady and heavy it's a nice balance and a nice price. Personally I prefer very sedating kava. Sadly bula kava house doesnt carry boroguru anymore. Anyone know how gkh boroguru stacks up?

Status
Not open for further replies.