What's new

What do you consider to be "heavy use"?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Do you guys think heavy use for tudei kavas is a much lower quantity than heavy use for noble kavas? I would think so. I think the average kava drinker would go from what we consider physiologically and psychologically "moderate" to "heavy" if they drank the same quantity of kava but switched to exclusive tudei use. In my opinion heavy use needs to consider at least some of the following.

Quantity/frequency of substance vs norms in kava (etc) community, because heavy use could mean a half pound of kava in one session or 3 tbs every 2 hours. Unless we would like to dissect heavy vs chronic...

Physical effect of the substance should be considered. Like someone else said, dermopathy could be a consideration with heavy use and therefore it varies from person to person. If someone gets side effects from kava, it may or may not be a valid consideration for heavy use, as sometimes side effects can happen without serious consumption. If they have been drinknig kava without side effects for a long time and begin to display side effects, that could be a sign that their personal line has been crossed.

Psychological effects are obviously to be considered. If somebody sleeps all day because of how much kava they drink or finds themselves too krunked to fulfill their responsibilities in life as an adult, which is obviously highly unlikely with kava, then that is probably what I would consider heavy use.

Personal factors such as individual sensitivities, because 2 cups of coffee might affect me heavily while it would be moderate for another. However, I don't think tolerance should be considered when deciding whether use is "heavy." For example, If someone drinks 12 beers a day but can still function because they've been doing that for years, they are still a heavy user.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Maybe we can pitch it as a reality show. Vanuatu Shore. The no drama reality show where the main activity is drinking kava and lying face first in the sand
Actually, if you pitched this idea it might actually be ballsy enough for some network to say "hey, why not?" I mean, it would probably be pretty entertaining. A bunch of Kava drinkers from the U.S go to the Kava heartland and get krunked all the time. It would probably be interesting enough for people to see what it was about. Admittedly, it would need good editing and some kind of competition or story line.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Actually, if you pitched this idea it might actually be ballsy enough for some network to say "hey, why not?" I mean, it would probably be pretty entertaining. A bunch of Kava drinkers from the U.S go to the Kava heartland and get krunked all the time. It would probably be interesting enough for people to see what it was about. Admittedly, it would need good editing and some kind of competition or story line.
Not sure. Buckets of kava = no violence, no random sex that people regret the next day, no outrage, no screaming and no crazy shit. I.e. no TV stuff.
Unless of course they were to screen it on that Norwegian tv channel specializing in slow TV (e.g. 30 hour long interviews or 180h long documentaries with no commentary): http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324904004578539110228634592

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Do you guys think heavy use for tudei kavas is a much lower quantity than heavy use for noble kavas? I would think so. I think the average kava drinker would go from what we consider physiologically and psychologically "moderate" to "heavy" if they drank the same quantity of kava but switched to exclusive tudei use. In my opinion heavy use needs to consider at least some of the following.

Quantity/frequency of substance vs norms in kava (etc) community, because heavy use could mean a half pound of kava in one session or 3 tbs every 2 hours. Unless we would like to dissect heavy vs chronic...

Physical effect of the substance should be considered. Like someone else said, dermopathy could be a consideration with heavy use and therefore it varies from person to person. If someone gets side effects from kava, it may or may not be a valid consideration for heavy use, as sometimes side effects can happen without serious consumption. If they have been drinknig kava without side effects for a long time and begin to display side effects, that could be a sign that their personal line has been crossed.

Psychological effects are obviously to be considered. If somebody sleeps all day because of how much kava they drink or finds themselves too krunked to fulfill their responsibilities in life as an adult, which is obviously highly unlikely with kava, then that is probably what I would consider heavy use.

Personal factors such as individual sensitivities, because 2 cups of coffee might affect me heavily while it would be moderate for another. However, I don't think tolerance should be considered when deciding whether use is "heavy." For example, If someone drinks 12 beers a day but can still function because they've been doing that for years, they are still a heavy user.
Some great points @ThePiper, I don't really like to compare alcohol and kava but there are plenty of clear definitions for what constitutes heavy alcohol drinking but even so I have know highly functional alcoholics who drink a case of crap beer a day and never miss a beat. Their liver is going to walk out on them someday but otherwise there life seems unaffected. I think kava is far more self regulating than alcohol. Once I hit my sweet spot with kava I don't really want anymore.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Definitely almost impossible to define heavy use, but the kava itself tells me when I've hit the spot, and prevents me from overdoing it to the point where I can't function the next day. I always make about 100-125g kava to 1.25-1.5 litres water for a session that lasts from about 6-9pm usually and this suits me. The first 3 shells get me up on the plane, the next 3 are maintenance over the second hour, and the last 2-3 see me getting to a level of relaxation/sedation where I really don't want any more - or want anything at all. In this way it is very hard to have "too much", especially if you are using the same kava each night and you know exactly what to expect in terms of strength most of the time.

Its a different story in Vanuatu, because of the reasons already mentioned by @shakas and @Henry but also because every nakamal has different kava, and even the same nakamal can have different kava one night to the next. You can go to your regular nakamal where you have been having 4 large shells then taking 600ml home every night for weeks, and then suddenly be totally rooted after 2, as they ran out of their usual supply and bought something different from a dealer. The only times I have really had "too much" is when caught by surprise in this way.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yeah I think it would be pretty entertaining to watch some guy drink huge amounts of kava and then try and talk sense ;-)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Re single experience: One tricky thing about kava is that there is a clear delay between drinking shells and experiencing the effects. Some kavalactones take a long time to really start acting. According to Dr Lebot "The research established that kavain and dihydrokavain attain their maximal brain concentration within five minutes, whereas the other two compounds enter the brain more slowly and achieve lower peak concentrations.". Plus we've got all other intervening variables such as the amount of food in the stomach, the number of shells per hour, etc.
Last night I had 2-3 shells of a fairly strong kava and yet didn't feel overwhelmed or even strongly affected. Just chilled and yet alert (probably a good way summarize kava to those unfamiliar with its effects). I went to prepare some food and while I was eating it (30 minutes after my last shell) I was suddenly hit by a big wave of kava effects.
This is something that took me a while to realise and it's why sometimes I leave up to an hour and a half between shells but then I prefer fewer, stronger shells rather than multiple smaller/weaker ones. It's interesting when you have a good strong shell and then experience the different levels of effects over the course of the next hour... the immediate effects mellowing into the longer term, slower acting relaxation effects.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe we can pitch it as a reality show. Vanuatu Shore. The no drama reality show where the main activity is drinking kava and lying face first in the sand
Reminds me once about 96 I was at my usual low-key, quiet, dark nakamal with friends about 3 hours into a session, when a Korean TV crew arrived in a bus to do a piece for a travel show. The cameraman shone his 1000W light into our faces whilst the screechy Korean chick all dressed up like a starlet started yelling "Wow hi guys, cool, so hows kava? Is it cool? Wow! Tell all the people in Seoul how amazing it is! Cool!"
You can probably imagine the complete straight-faced lack of response she got.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I recently cut back some. I was surpassing medicinal use for krunk use a little too much lately. I have this level where kava removes anxiety and makes me more social but if I go too heavy on it then I get where I want to hide inside the kava and get angry at outside interruptions. Like I am wanting or trying to get the world to shut up too much which kind of brings anxiety back. I am trying to save the krunk sessions for when I am totally alone and can really chill to some music on my own. I need very little to just smile and ride the day out. Plus I think sometimes you skip the common mild awesome feel of kava when you try to really get twisted on it, too often. You can totally skip over that base lovely relaxed feeling if you go straight for the krunk. I think the island term of listening to the kava has several meanings.
A touch of dermo is usually another sign for me to dial it back.