What's new

Vanuatu3 limited edition kava from kava by rex

kl.r3mote

Kava Curious
for van3, i like at least 1/2 cup of kava per 2 cups water.

you could also give 2 tablespoons for 1 cup water a shot;  thing is, there's no such thing as "too potent" with this kava, cause there's not too much DHM. it's mostly kavain.  and with this stuff, it's good tasting no matter how thick it is and i'm as picky as you can get.

have fun with this stuff dude. i recommend making the brew potent, there's more on the way soon so don't worry about conserving!

kl.voodoo

Kava Curious
It's pretty good. I use kava mainly for back pain, so this is not ideal for me. The nausea from high DHM kava, however, seems to be getting worse. I can drink quite a lot of this before nausea kicks in.

It is so finely ground. Has anyone tried to put it in gelcaps and take whole?

kl.ceedah

I tried kava years ago (a story for another time), and have just recently decided to go for it again. After a lot of research (much of it on these forums), I decided to go for the Vanuatu3. My order arrived today, and then I went back to Kava By Rex's website and saw that it's sold out. I am very glad I managed to get one of the last pounds in this batch... I was wavering on whether to buy yet, since I am waiting until after I am off my SSRI to try it (which will be at least another few weeks). Glad I went for it, and very excited to try it. I will report back after I have! (My previous experience with kava involved throwing up, so I was drawn to the description of this kava as being low in DHM. I haven't seen too many of the highly regarded kava sources providing that information right on their websites, though I am sure I could email and ask...)

kl.u2ru4u

Is this back in stock ?  Just don't want to have it on back order.  Thanks.

Edit:
Received a message from KBR and it indeed is in stock as of this moment.

kl.ceedah

Hi all, here's my update having tried it, as a newbie kava drinker: effects are pleasant, but minimal. This might be because I have not yet developed a reverse tolerance? I know this is supposed to be a relatively mild tasting kava, and I believe it, but I still find it hard to get down. So, I am probably not making it strong enough. I have tried it both at the 1 tablespoon to 1 cup ratio, and double that. I've gone through about half a pound so far, over three kava sessions (though each time, I have shared what I've made with another person, so I've only consumed about half of that myself). Would you folks recommend I try making it at a stronger strength since I'm just starting out?

My main goals in kava drinking are anxiety reduction and sleep assistance. I have not noticed much help with sleep, even though I am drinking kava a couple of hours before bed, so that's another reason I am thinking I am not consuming enough at a time.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
My Van3 is on it's way, so I don't know yet if this batch is potent or not. I like making 1 cup root to 4-5 cups water, 4oz every 10mins on an empty stomach.

I've been trying to enhance kava's effects through supplements such as l-theanine , GABA, and taurine .

Some kavas keep me up at night, shaman instant kava is one of them.

kl.ceedah

Do you drink the entire 4-5 cups (that is, the whole one cup of kava) in one session? I've been consuming, in each session, probably about 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) total. Maybe that's my problem. Part of it is caution as I am beginning; part of it is that I am a cheapskate and trying for that reason not to go through it too fast. :p

Interesting that some kavas can actually keep you awake. That's good to be aware of.

kl.r3mote

Kava Curious
I have 1 pound I will sell for $35 (USPS Priority postage included in price) that I bought in September. please PM me.

edit: paypal is my preferred method of receiving money but I will also accept money orders.

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
Man, I don't see how you guys drink so much of this in one session.  

I cracked open my newly-arrived bag (and thanks for fast shipping, Rex) of Vanuatu3 last night and brewed a single 3tbsp-per-2cup brew, downed much of it in basically one gulp, and was set for the evening.  Fairly quick onset with solid twenty minutes of euphoria followed by several hours of general content feeling and, after that (with the remainder ~ 1/2 cup, swallowed down), instant sleep.

Terrific stuff either way.  Potent, light, and so easy to drink.

kl.shinobi7

Kava Curious
I have been paying 41 dollars now in Canada for KBR, sucks,the damn shipping went up. Its too bad cuz this stuff is pretty good for the price before shipping.

just got my pound today. had a laugh with my dad after a few remarks about it looking like a pound of heroin, haha. awesome.

I don't plan on opening the bag yet until I can find something to keep it fresh in. how will this kava have an effect on my mild depression and anxiety?

kavalover

Outsider
I don't plan on opening the bag yet until I can find something to keep
it fresh in. how will this kava have an effect on my mild depression and
anxiety?
A large freezer bag works well in keeping the kava fresh, it's what I do with KBR's non resealable bags anyway.

The van3 is great for my anxiety and I could definitely see it helping with mild depression, it has that feel to it. Only you will find out :) Let us know

Yesterday I tried my first bowl of it. Did it about 2 or so hours after waking up with no breakfast, only coffee. For most of the process I eyed the kava and the water, using 3 tablespoons of kava and around 9 oz of water. Used a nylon, squeezing and kneading it for 10 minutes which produced milky tan colored water. Effects were very subtle, possibly even placebo. Mild relaxation, body feels airy and nice to a small degree. No noticeable change in anxiety level or mood. Spent the rest of the day at my friend's house and left at 3 in the morning, feeling apathetic and listless as usual.

20 minutes ago I had another bowl, with about 3 cups of water and 3 tablespoons of kava. Consumed the entire brew in roughly 2 minutes. Same general feeling, nothing special or notable. I used to hate the taste at first but I grew to appreciate it to some extent, and can now slam cups back with ease (and chase, usually coffee haha). The numbness is mild and kinda pleasant, also helps get the rest of the brew down. I mainly feel it in my throat. When I first got the kava I scooped a fingerful into my mouth and the numbness was a bit more intense. How numb does your mouth/throat usually get after having a drink? Is the numbness an indication of potency?

I am also wondering if I should alter my methods or measurements in some way. My kava is currently being stored in a big brand new mason jar, so it's nice and fresh. When I make the kava I find a small bowl since I'm only preparing a brew for myself. Then, I wash my hands thoroughly, put the kava in a small nylon mesh and tie it off real tight, set a timer for 10 minutes and start squishing/kneading the christ out of it, occasionally wringing it out. After 10 minutes I wash my hands and drink all of my brew, stirring before each chug. Not sure if this is helpful info, but I am 151 pounds and 6 foot, and I smoke weed everyday. Should I change my measurements based on this?

Anyways, I'm attributing the lack of discernible effects to reverse tolerance. I plan on sticking with this until my jar is empty, and pray that hopefully kava can be of help to me.

kavalover

Outsider
Your experience sounds pretty spot on for a new drinker, the whole reverse tolerance thing puts a lot of people off of kava. In addition to that, though, as a heavy coffee drinker it has always been my experience that coffee tones down much of kava's psychoactive effects. It's a great combo (coffee + kava) if I want a mellow clear headed buzz before work but if you're looking for anti-anxiety and sedation try to put more distance between intake of coffee and kava. Just my 2 cents.

Is the numbness an indication of potency?
Numbness is typically an indication of kavain content. When you're mouth gets reaaallly numb you know you've got a kava with high kavain, one of, if not the most sought after kavalactone.

I don't really notice the numb mouth anymore though, I used to get a kick out of it when I first started drinking kava.

My mouth doesn't really get that numb when I drink, though I certainly feel it. Is it possible that I might be straining it wrong?

kavalover

Outsider
Nah, the way you're doing it is almost exactly how I do it. If you want to really get as much as you can get out of your kava, try soaking your kava + water in a blender and then blending for a few minutes, then pour in a strainer and strain like usual. Some people swear by this method as the best, so it can't hurt to give it a try.

I think mostly the reason for the lack of numbness is because we quickly chug the bowls of kava. There isn't prolonged exposure as there is if say you swish the kava around in your mouth, you'll go numb. Or if you chew on rootlets or suck on root powder, you'll go real numb quick heh.