What's new

Vanuatu3 limited edition kava from kava by rex

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yeah, I've noticed that consistency can be a problem with Kava vendors. I've had a similar experience with Nakamal at Home's "Chief's Jungle."

kl.krunk

Have not brewed it yet, but as far as looks go, the V3 I just received seems to exactly match what is in Kavasseur's review photos - a totally consistent very fine light tan powder (like 'powdered sugar') with NO evident pieces of rough root.

Wonder if the 'Phil' in the comments section of Kavasseur's V3 review got a hold of the new stuff; his glowing comment was made just last week...

kl.philm400

Kava Curious
He (the other Phil) may have received the last of the V3 that Douglas reviewed. If you have the same batch as me you'll see the woody chunks of root once the powder gets wet. I just took a look at what I have left of the old and new powdered root. The first batch is a fine powder with some fibrous root visible. The second batch looks like a mound of fine powder but close inspection reveals more root fiber and slightly heavier pieces. I actually found a piece over an inch in length x half an inch in width. The second batch is also lighter in color. The first order was made on 10/31 received 11/4. The second on the 19th / delivered on the 26th. It's understood that any crop, be it wine grapes or kava, will vary from season to season.

kl.krunk

My understanding is the newer V3 contains more lateral root. How much more is the question, since I recall Rex's description of V3 about a month ago attesting to very little DHM content. Hence the bigger root pieces which you came across.

I have not found any such pieces, however, only a few dark flecks and specks. It would not be a surprise if some people are still receiving what remains of the older batch - and evidence or absence of those root pieces might help someone to determine what they actually received.

Is your second order of considerably lighter color than the first, or, is the color itself actually different? Kavasseur's two pictures show a bit of ruddiness in the powder (at least when wet), unless that is his camera....

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I took those pictures with my iPhone and that is prior to squeezing the Kava. No matter what, you will always get pulp with small to medium size pieces of root in your cloth. Only pulverized instant Kava will leave nothing in its wake. Vanuatu 3 did indeed leave some big pieces of root after I squeezed it. But not any more than any other Kava. I don't think big pieces of root would be indicative of a lesser quality Kava. I've had PNG Kavas fresh from Madang that were still green and had huge chunks of root in them - some of the best Kava I've ever had. The Kava by Rex grind lends to easy processing, but the grind in and of itself doesn't affect the quality of the Kava.

kl.philm400

Kava Curious
Yes Douglas, the fine grind of the kava by rex makes it seem almost like an instant kava. Krunk the second batch is just a little lighter. Like the difference between two nearly identical colors in a paint swatch book.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
When I first tried Van3 I used 2 tbsp to 4 cups of water, and pretty much hated the stuff. After the batch was done, I was not impressed at all.

Tonight, I put 2 tbsp in 2 cups of water, and wow. It truely is a beautiful kava. Almost like a Black sand/very low dose of wow!. Opens your mind but dosent make you stumble all over the place. It makes me appreciate what I have in this world, and thats what I love about kava. Also, I love playing videogames kava-lized. They should call this stuff kavaLOVEtones (;)) because thats all I feel right now. I LOVE KAVA.

But anyway, the new batch of Van3 is truely wonderful, great experience. I highly recommend it. Just dont water it down like I did the first time. Also for some reason I thought 4 cups = 16 oz. Boy was I off....and yes I felt really stupid.

bula to you all!

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
Van3 is out of stock now and the coming new shipment is reported to be more like the classic van3 (high Kavain and low(no?) DHM). Once it comes in I'll order some. I didn't get a chance to order the 'new' van3 so I can't comment on it. But van3 is like Solomon x4, 1 cup root to 6-7 cups water is so good.

BTW I just ordered Tongan Pride.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Tonight I made a batch of van3/stone, 4 cups of water + 2 cups of milk + soy lecithin. My friend is going to come over and indulge with me, but mannn this is some strong stuff. Almost 5 tbsp of van3 and half cup of stone. It. Is. Awesome.

stay bula'd my friends.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Friend never showed, but now ive got a good amount of kava for tommarrow night. Didnt relize how strong this stuff really was. id rate it a 9.8 seriously, although it has stone in it, 1/2 of stone to about 7 cups of water wouldent do this much i know that for a fact. Im going to get 100% Hawaiian for christmas from pacific, then going for some kavabyrex varietys, including the old van3. Again thank you douglas for making these insights and information to kava, without you I wouldent be here, relax and krunked, today. Truely props man, I appreciate it..

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
Do you mean 100% hawaiian from Paradise and not Pacific? I tried the Tongan Pride the other day, it was very good. I can't give it a full assessment yet cuz that night I also drank left over Solomon and Van3 (a few shells each). Tonight I plan on drinking Tongan by itself.

kavalover

Outsider
Van3 is back! Man, 2 awesome anticipated kavas back on the "shelves" in one week. Anyone gonna buy some? Let me know how this batch is if ya do

;)

kl.r3mote

Kava Curious
I conserved a pound of it from my order last year (I just opened it on friday, and have been drinking every night this week so this is fantastic news :) (plus I just bought the frozen kava over at paradisekava, and some hawaiian kava center mo'i and pana'ewa - the upcoming weeks are going to be great =) I will directly compare and contrast the new aug 2011 batch with the  nov 2010 batch.

Same great taste and smell, but even though I had it vacuum sealed, it seems a tiny bit weaker than when I first got it...) I saved it for so long because I didn't think it would be offered again. Knowing my supply won't end as soon as I had anticipated is awesome. I just bought 1 pound this time (last year it was 2) to possibly let more people get a chance to try it.

vanuatu3 limited is really one of the best kavas on the internet...the review on the kavasseur blog is 100% accurate. I consider van3 analogous to honeybell oranges.

mellow all around. what a way to end the summer :D