What's new

Instant Kava Review Vanuatu

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I decided not to use the full review form for this, since I never used more than 2 Tbsp of it in a session and have also never had any other instant kava to compare it to. I'm not sure what the equivalence of 2 Tbsp of this instant equals in relation to dry root powder, but I suspect it might be about 2x (or more) the potency of it's regular root counterpart.
I mixed up 2 Tbsp into 1 cup of water and took a few sips off of it. Surprisingly, I quickly felt some mild and pleasant kava effects come on from just a few sips. Over the next 30-45 mins I finished the full cup and it bumped up my level of comfort and relaxation a bit with a nice little hint of spaciness. Once I was sure the effects leveled out I ended up drinking my regular root mix. I get the feeling using a few more Tbsp of the instant could get me all the way there. As it seemed to be a bit stronger, off such a small amount, than I was expecting from an instant...but I didn't have a lot to play with. So I used it sparingly.
The effects felt like the beginnings of my experience with the Vanuatu-Regular grind, which makes sense with this small of a dosage. (My typical dosage for dry root is 8-9 Tbsp) The flavor was pretty mild, a lot cleaner, and more watery than regular root powder. I didn't feel the euphoric kavain blast that usually get's associated with 'instants', but admittedly, my brain isn't very receptive of kavain anyway :( The effects that stood out most were a quick pleasant contentment and relaxation with an added looseness to the body (but without 'muscle melt') and slightly altered head space.
I probably wouldn't use this as my nightly kava, but I can see it being very useful to have on hand for times when you want relief in an instant. Another usage I enjoyed it for, was mixing up small spoonfuls of it after I had already finished my usual batch of root. You can feel it add a minor boost and extension to your experience. Which is useful and convenient, especially when you're already fairly rooted.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I've got some of this and the Hawaiian instant on the way..can't wait to try them to see how they differ!! :)
Please let me know what you think about both instants KavaGurl. My Shaman instant is almost gone, and I'm trying to decide whether to buy that again, or some more BKH instant, or give one or either of these instants a try (Vanuatu or Hawaiian).

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I absolutely will! :) They are scheduled for arrival on Monday..I can't wait! Stay tuned.....
Hey @KavaGurl did you get your Instants? What do think of them so far?

I'm waiting to hear from you before I buy some. From what I've read so far, I'm leaning towards the Hawaiian Instant. But can't decide.

Thanks
Bob

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
@HeadHodge sorry works been driving me crazy this week:wacky:..I did get them and am very impressed! The taste of both is very smooth and clean. They mix easily too.. I have to say that I'm definitely partial to the Hawaiian. It seems to not only be more potent, but more uplifting..but not in the jittery way...If I could afford to keep it on hand constantly for convenience sake I would ;)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge sorry works been driving me crazy this week:wacky:..I did get them and am very impressed! The taste of both is very smooth and clean. They mix easily too.. I have to say that I'm definitely partial to the Hawaiian. It seems to not only be more potent, but more uplifting..but not in the jittery way...If I could afford to keep it on hand constantly for convenience sake I would ;)
Thanks @KavaGurl. I'll go ahead and order some Hawaiian, if it's still in stock. I would try the Vanuatu too but I already ordered some GO Waka Instant instead (get it today).

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
How did u like the go kava instant. Headhodge.
Still at the post office. Soon as I pick it up, I'll try some (which will be as soon as I unwrap it) and report back.

I found a really small can of N@K Fire Island Instant I had squirreled away yesterday (I was desperate because I ran out of my Shaman). It was ok, but it made me very sleepy. I couldn't make it to my normal bedtime. The Shaman gives me much more of a rush. I think I'm beginning to finally understand the difference between "body load(heavy)" and "brain load(heady)". If I'm correct in my understanding, I think @KavaGurl might like the Fire Island for the "body load", but for me I think I'm preferring so far the "Brain Load" stuff.

Actually I think I might like both depending on the situation, so it's good to understand the difference. It's like I enjoy wine at a party but wouldn't drink Nyquil, because that would knock me out and people would be angry at me because I snore "really loud". :) But if I have the sniffles and want to get some sleep, I'll do the Nyquil and not wine. (I compare the two because they both have alcohol, and I know some people that like to drink (abuse) Nyquil for the effects)

I think another thing I'm learning, is that I think it's kind of a shame that they label their products with Fire Island and Shaman because (unless I'm missing something here) I can't tell what strain of root it's made from so if it's something I like, I can't look for other products that use the same strain. I think N@K advertises Shaman as the instant version of Stone, but I don't really understand if that means it's Vanuatu, Hawaiian, Fiji, or what.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop now. I think this Fire Island is giving me diarrhea (diarrhea of the fingers) :)

Last edited:

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Haha
Still at the post office. Soon as I pick it up, I'll try some (which will be as soon as I unwrap it) and report back.

I found a really small can of N@K Fire Island Instant I had squirreled away yesterday (I was desperate because I ran out of my Shaman). It was ok, but it made me very sleepy. I couldn't make it to my normal bedtime. The Shaman gives me much more of a rush. I think I'm beginning to finally understand the difference between "body load(heavy)" and "brain load(heady)". If I'm correct in my understanding, I think @KavaGurl might like the Fire Island for the "body load", but for me I think I'm preferring so far the "Brain Load" stuff.

Actually I think I might like both depending on the situation, so it's good to understand the difference. It's like I enjoy wine at a party but wouldn't drink Nyquil, because that would knock me out and people would be angry at me because I snore "really loud". :) But if I have the sniffles and want to get some sleep, I'll do the Nyquil and not wine. (I compare the two because they both have alcohol, and I know some people that like to drink (abuse) Nyquil for the effects)

I think another thing I'm learning, is that I think it's kind of a shame that they label their products with Fire Island and Shaman because (unless I'm missing something here) I can't tell what strain of root it's made from so if it's something I like, I can't look for other products that use the same strain. I think N@K advertises Shaman as the instant version of Stone, but I don't really understand if that means it's Vanuatu, Hawaiian, Fiji, or what.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop now. I think this Fire Island is giving me diarrhea (diarrhea of the fingers) :)
haha nice . Yeah i love both of n@ h instants . If the fire island was heavy on u the go waka will be too anyways bula..

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Tried some before lunch today. Used the recommended 1 tbsp size with some diet Snapple Raspberry Tea. Ate breakfast approx 4 hours prior. I'm probably not experienced enough to give you a proper review. But I'll do my best.

I didn't get the instant lip and tongue numbing effect, that I get with the Shaman. It took several drinks before I got some numbness going. Right or wrong the amount of numbness is my clue to potency so I might rate the potency a little on the weak side. BTW I don't think there is a place to rate potency on the rating form. I didn't get a Brain Load rush (just like you predicted) but I did get a nice (but not intense) mellow relaxing effect. I only drank it about 1/2 hour ago, so not sure how long lasting it will be. So I would say I enjoyed it, but next time I think I will try 2 Tbsp instead of one.

Since I've got this yesterday and Chris shipped me some of his Hawaiian Instant today, I think I'm going to go ahead and get some more Shaman too, so I can compare all of them with each other to get a better feel for which one I like the best. To be fair about the potency I think when I use the Shaman I might be using 2 Tbsp instead of one, so I want to compare each fairly.

One note about GO Kava that I'm not really happy about is the response I didn't get when I wrote to them asking them where they were located and where they get their products from. I did look at the shipping package and it was shipped from Reno Nevada. Seems like a weird place. So just saying.

Here's a pic:

140228_114502.jpg

KavaGurl

Morning @HeadHodge! Yeah let me just clarify that I I like heady kava in certain situations too..like you said, don't wanna fall asleep in someones face when they're talkin to ya:oops::facepalm:..lol...or when I'm at work. But some tend to make me very jittery, hate that feeling. Plus, I surely need the muscle relaxant and pain relieving benefits of a good body load kava;) Man, it's a hard balance sometimes:rolleyes:...that being said...on days when I need both, and want instant, I mix BOTH:woot:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Morning @HeadHodge! Yeah let me just clarify that I I like heady kava in certain situations too..like you said, don't wanna fall asleep in someones face when they're talkin to ya:oops::facepalm:..lol...or when I'm at work. But some tend to make me very jittery, hate that feeling. Plus, I surely need the muscle relaxant and pain relieving benefits of a good body load kava;) Man, it's a hard balance sometimes:rolleyes:...that being said...on days when I need both, and want instant, I mix BOTH:woot:
Good Morning to you too @KavaGurl. I totally understand what you mean now. Maybe I could get bonus points on my forum account (I think I have 26 points right now) for achieving a higher plain of understanding!! :)

Could you share which Instants you would take when you're in the Heady mood and which ones you would for the Heavy mood? That would be much appreciated. I know lots of people mix their Kava powder for different effects, but hadn't thought of doing that with instants. Makes a lot of sense though (You must have more "plain of understanding" points than me :))

I think anyone should move to the top of the forum points game when they can successfully snatch the pebble from @Kapmcrunk's hand!!! (a Grasshopper reference)

Edit: The more I think about it, I think you probably meant that you use one type of Instant during the day and then another type later (not physically mixing them together for a combined effect). I'm not really the brightest bulb on the planet!!

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....One note about GO Kava that I'm not really happy about is the response I didn't get when I wrote to them asking them where they were located and where they get their products from. ...
Much to my surprise I actually did get a reply from GO Kava:

• HeadHodge Said:

Hi, You don't seem to have a Company Info tab on your web site, so I could not find any info about you. The only reason I made this order is because someone I know recommended it.

Could you tell me where you're located? Also, how/where to get your products from. i.e. are you a grower, retailer?

For your products, do you usually get your product from the same sources? The reason I ask, is if I like what I ordered, would I expect to get consistent results if I decide to re-order again?

Thanks in advance
  • Re: Company Info
    1st Mar 2014 @ 5:50 PM

GoKava Said:

We ship from our warehouses in Reno, NV. We import directly from the Kava growers/harvesters in Vanuatu region. are product is most consistent and of absolute highest quality kava you will find anywhere including in Vanuatu. We pay harvesters for fair trade Kava from selected areas and pay the highest prices. Here is the link from the website. http://gokava.com/kava-faq/
I know this thread started out talking about Chris's Vanuatu Instant and sort of grew to more than that. So I wouldn't blame Chris if he asked @Kapmcrunk to move this thread to a better place.

KavaGurl

@HeadHodge actually yeah you guessed right the first time..I do literally mix two different instants together:D..but the only two worthy of this concoction so far are Chris' Hawaiian and Vanuatu because they both effect me quite differently. Others that I've tried were in the heady realm.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Got your Hawaiian Instant today and your small sample of the Vanuatu Instant. Thanks!!!

I tried a little of the Hawaiian at lunch today and thought it was pretty good. It was only my first shell of it, so I'll have to try it few more times before deciding for sure. But so far, so good!!