What's new

Perplexed by Tudei Controversy

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Well first of all my system is not arbritraty. It's based on solid scientific evidence (by Lebot) that all tudei's have a 5 in the higher digits of the chemotype. I've already posted the exact thing he says from 'The Pacific Elixor'..
Update... Except for 11 Year Waka. Even though it tests orange I don't believe it's still 'conclusivly' proven to be tuedi.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Let's put it this way. We have different ways of deciding which kava to buy and drink. We can:

1. Buy whatever is cheapest/easiest to get
2. Buy the most popular "brand" based on online and/or offline reviews
3. Do a bit more research and buy on the basis of advertised chemotype + reviews
4. Do even more research and buy on the basis of advertised chemotype that has been verified by an independent lab + reviews
5. Buy certified (by TK or any other trustworthy lab) noble and pure products (that also come with a chemotype as well as relative % of different kavalactones).

A quick look at the market suggests that the more picky you are, the more money you might need to spend on your kava.
@HeadHodge 's system is somewhere between 3 and 4. Surely it's way better than 1 or even 2. But it's obviously not as good as 5.
Those who value safety, reliability etc over $ won't be satisfied with his system as there is clearly an even better method of selecting the right kava. However, those who are a bit less concerned about tudei, etc may well consider his system to be a reliable method of obtaining the right kava.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Let's put it this way. We have different ways of deciding which kava to buy and drink. We can:

3. Do a bit more research and buy on the basis of advertised chemotype + reviews
4. Do even more research and buy on the basis of advertised chemotype that has been verified by an independent lab + reviews
5. Buy certified (byt TK or any other trustworthy lab) noble and pure products (that also come with a chemotype as well as relative % of different kavalactones).

A quick look at the market suggests that the more picky you are, the more money you might need to spend on your kava.
@HeadHodge 's system is somewhere between 3 and 4. Surely it's way better than 1 or even 2. But it's obviously not as good as 5.
Those who value safety, reliability etc over $ won't be satisfied with his system as there is clearly an even better method of selecting the right kava. However, those who are a bit less concerned about tudei, etc may well consider his system to be a reliable method of obtaining the right kava.
Good reply. I buy most of that and don't want to quibble about the tudei part. My method can also be used to weed out tudei products (for the most part), by simply avoiding any product with a '5' in the first three digits of the chemotype. But I'm happy with saying it's in the 3 and 4 category because as @Deleted User01 says it's not 100% conclusive.

Maybe if I get in a fiesty mood, I'll come back to it and argue to convince you to make it a 4.5. :)
::chugger::

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

5. Buy certified (by TK or any other trustworthy lab) noble and pure products (that also come with a chemotype as well as relative % of different kavalactones).

With your permission, I would like to copy this post to the Kavapedia. It's seems like it could be a useful guideline for newbies.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
With your permission, I would like to copy this post to the Kavapedia. It's seems like it could be a useful guideline for newbies.

I think this post might be a bit too crude for the Kavapedia and for the newbies. It's understandable in the context of this discussion (I think), but could be a bit confusing if presented without any context .E.g. newbies might not really know what TK is, what chemotypes mean, what the concerns about impurities are about, etc, etc.

I personally think it's a good idea to recommend the 5th method for the total newbies. We don't want anyone to be unlucky and try something that would be rejected by the acetone test and yet could pass your method, especially if that means bad effects for the user. In my humble opinion, those trying kava for the very first time, should try the best stuff they can first so that they have a benchmark for comparison if they ever venture to explore other kavas on the basis of other methods of selecting them.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...I personally think it's a good idea to recommend the 5th method for the total newbies..
As I stated in a previous post, the problem with that IMO, is that while there is a chemotype available for practically all kava products, under 20% (maybe less) has been tested with the acetone test. And on top of that, there is only one person doing the testing, so there isn't much in the way of verification out there. Before you say it, I know that people can run down, buy some acetone, a glass bottle and do there own test. But I honestly don't see many people doing that, especially newbies.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Also what I've noted earlier is that the vendor most known and trusted for selling noble kava is the one that is the most tested. That seems odd to me.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Why would that seem odd? That a vendor cares enough to test and ends up being the most known and trusted noble vendor seems quite natural to me!
Because he is the last person that needs to test his products. Unless maybe a small elf like creature is running around the island spiking everyone's kava in the middle of the night.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Why would he be the last person who needs to test his kava???
Ask chris. If I remember correctly I believe he grows his own plants, controls his own harvesting, processing, packaging and shipping.
I could be wrong about this, but I think he either owns or has access to product test equipment locally.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Because he is the last person that needs to test his products. Unless maybe a small elf like creature is running around the island spiking everyone's kava in the middle of the night.
Passion about something will make you want to improve something even to the exclusion of your own benifits. If Chris really believes in a noble standard, than by helping build this standard he could improve kava sales etc. BUT this standard will also hurt his product claim. Because when your competition can also make the same claim as you, than your product is no longer "special". As long as everyone can have the same seal of "approval" (with all the same rights and responsibilities), he will have to lean on the cost vs quality of his product vs let's say Kalm w/ Kava.

(Full disclosure: Chris bought me off with a nice kava calendar, so take anything I say with a shell it four!)

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
My experience has been: I bought 11 Year Waka and 2 days in a row woke up feeling completely hung over (sick, tired, puffy eyes, just all around icky). I also have experienced more nausea than I have during my (short) time with kava. I was perplexed at why I felt so shitty and then remembered that a few weeks ago I had looked at TK and been surprised that 11YW had been possible tudei . I forgot about it and bought it anyway........ now I have a pretty expensive kava that I do not want to consume because I don't like feeling like shit. I'm not looking to feel drunk when I use kava, I would drink some yummy beer if that's what I wanted, not yucky kava :p
SO, In the future I will look to TK and buy certified noble. Those are my feelings, and I am glad that the info is there.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
My experience has been: I bought 11 Year Waka and 2 days in a row woke up feeling completely hung over (sick, tired, puffy eyes, just all around icky). I also have experienced more nausea than I have during my (short) time with kava. I was perplexed at why I felt so shitty and then remembered that a few weeks ago I had looked at TK and been surprised that 11YW had been possible tudei . I forgot about it and bought it anyway........ now I have a pretty expensive kava that I do not want to consume because I don't like feeling like shit. I'm not looking to feel drunk when I use kava, I would drink some yummy beer if that's what I wanted, not yucky kava :p
SO, In the future I will look to TK and buy certified noble. Those are my feelings, and I am glad that the info is there.
Hi,

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

I took a look at the reviews for 11-year waka and there are currently seven reviews out there with an average of 4.2 shells out of 5.

I'm not posting to try to convince you to use 11-year. I respect your decision. I'm just posting this to show that others (besides me) enjoy consuming 11-year. I believe it shows that everyone has different reactions to the same product, both good and bad.

Bula