What's new

New kava export rules in Vanuatu

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
A few thoughts from me...

There may be legal reasons why Dr. Lebot is not allowed to do commercial testing in his science lab. But I think it should be in his own interest to test as many Kavas as he can get to be sure that the Aceton test gives right results.

I watched again the youtube video in which Dr. Lebot explained the test. He did not mention any ratio between Kava and Aceton. Deleted User says it must bei 1:3 (1 part of Kava as weight in g and 3 parts Aceton in ml). Is this a final law? Do the officers from the Vanuata ministry knew this when they did their testings? Do they even test the Tanna with the Aceton test? Looking on the website of the VKS, I see that their test only mentions 'Near Infrarot Spectrometry' (NIRS) and 'Qualitative Type Test'. The NIRS is only to determine the amount of Kavalactones. So how was the Qualitative Type Test done? Did they check for Flavokain B? Or did they use the Aceton-Test? At least the test from 27.12.2013 for Malekula Magic was done by looking at the color of the Aceton test. Why did they use the Aceton test when it is still in development? And now it comes that Deleted User and I have a different result for Tanna which indicates that it is not Noble. Did the officers know the difference between a dark yellow and an orange without having a colometric standard?

For me, at the moment there are different possibilties:
-The Marang is really adultered, and the Vanuata officers didn't notice that because they had a wrong ratio or used no colometric standards
-The Marang is noble, because the Aceton test gives false results on some noble Kavas. (This is what KonaKava is claiming in their revised blog article.)

In both cases it would show that the Aceton test needs further development before it is fair to use it. Dr. Lebot should have a strong interest do get either a further proof that his test is right, or the knowledge that there are exceptions.

It was Andrew Procyk, the owner of NobleKava (also a reseller of the Vanuatu Kava Store) who made the video in which Dr. Lebot explained his test. He seems to have a more personal contact to him. Maybe he is able to convice Dr. Lebot that it is also in his interest to test the questionable Kavas?

My personal believe is that the test is not ready to use yet. For example, I can't believe that a fine, uplifting Kava like Fu'u shall be adultered.

And for those listening, I just had a lengthy chat with Cian and he is on board with the new testing program. He is also helping us secure correct standards from Vanuatu!
helpings us ATTEMPT to secure correct standards from Vanuatu lol. Island time
A few thoughts from me...

There may be legal reasons why Dr. Lebot is not allowed to do commercial testing in his science lab. But I think it should be in his own interest to test as many Kavas as he can get to be sure that the Aceton test gives right results.

I watched again the youtube video in which Dr. Lebot explained the test. He did not mention any ratio between Kava and Aceton. Deleted User says it must bei 1:3 (1 part of Kava as weight in g and 3 parts Aceton in ml). Is this a final law? Do the officers from the Vanuata ministry knew this when they did their testings? Do they even test the Tanna with the Aceton test? Looking on the website of the VKS, I see that their test only mentions 'Near Infrarot Spectrometry' (NIRS) and 'Qualitative Type Test'. The NIRS is only to determine the amount of Kavalactones. So how was the Qualitative Type Test done? Did they check for Flavokain B? Or did they use the Aceton-Test? At least the test from 27.12.2013 for Malekula Magic was done by looking at the color of the Aceton test. Why did they use the Aceton test when it is still in development? And now it comes that Deleted User and I have a different result for Tanna which indicates that it is not Noble. Did the officers know the difference between a dark yellow and an orange without having a colometric standard?

For me, at the moment there are different possibilties:
-The Marang is really adultered, and the Vanuata officers didn't notice that because they had a wrong ratio or used no colometric standards
-The Marang is noble, because the Aceton test gives false results on some noble Kavas. (This is what KonaKava is claiming in their revised blog article.)

In both cases it would show that the Aceton test needs further development before it is fair to use it. Dr. Lebot should have a strong interest do get either a further proof that his test is right, or the knowledge that there are exceptions.

It was Andrew Procyk, the owner of NobleKava (also a reseller of the Vanuatu Kava Store) who made the video in which Dr. Lebot explained his test. He seems to have a more personal contact to him. Maybe he is able to convice Dr. Lebot that it is also in his interest to test the questionable Kavas?

My personal believe is that the test is not ready to use yet. For example, I can't believe that a fine, uplifting Kava like Fu'u shall be adultered.

A decent and impartial analysis of the current situation. Much appreciated by me and I reckon by all.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The qualitative type test IS the acetone test. Deleted User already extensively addressed the Kona Kava post in a thread on here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kona-kava-tested.3487/ Keep in mind that Deleted User is using a photospectrometer, which is why he has a range of results other than just noble, tudei, wichmanii. When you say you got a different result, you mean that you did the acetone test and it appeared noble to you? Because I don't think that would indicate any inconsistency; as I understand it you could send your sample to Deleted User and he might still get the same result from his photospectrometer. Though if we were really to sit down and compare results, it would be important to use the same batch of kava.

While the general impression is that tudei kavas are knock you on your ass strong, the reality is that tudei kavas can have as little as 10% kavalactones. Subjective effects are not a good way to judge nobility.

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
When you say you got a different result, you mean that you did the acetone test and it appeared noble to you?
No, it was orange. I meant both my and Harpos results were different from the test in Vanuatu. Sorry if that was mistakable - english language is not my mother language.

No, it was orange. I meant both my and Harpos results were different from the test in Vanuatu. Sorry if that was mistakable - english language is not my mother language.
Great to see international input on this issue. There is a lot of debate going on and a lot of questions and it's all welcome. i am still not happy with the test but the more input we get from people all over the world the more we can learn and figure this situation out.