What's new

New kava export rules in Vanuatu

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Smart, they don't want further bans on the commodity, as someone said we could be just one tudei related health illness away from U.S. bans. Hopefully they're getting serious about finally nipping the tudei infested noble in the bud

Last edited:

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
They are actually doing a three part analysis on the exported root. I received the new results with my latest shipment. It includes a qualitative acetone test for color, TLC analysis, and HPTLC analysis of FK/KL - amount of flavokawains. It is nice to see them finally stepping up their game and hopefully cracking down on the adulteration of Noble Kava root.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
They are actually doing a three part analysis on the exported root. I received the new results with my latest shipment. It includes a qualitative acetone test for color, TLC analysis, and HPTLC analysis of FK/KL - amount of flavokawains. It is nice to see them finally stepping up their game and hopefully cracking down on the adulteration of Noble root.
This is what I had heard, thank you for confirming it. I am eager to see the HPTLC results compared to Deleted User's test.

D

Deleted User01

That article was dated early September. Is it just a coincidence that Vanuatu is doing testing after Deleted User came out with his tests and the Kava Forum took it to the hoop? Is it possible that the Kava Forum can shake the foundation of an industry lke that? Hellll yaaaaaa!!! :woot:

That article was dated early September. Is it just a coincidence that Vanuatu is doing testing after Deleted User came out with his tests and the Kava Forum took it to the hoop? Is it possible that the Kava Forum can shake the foundation of an industry lke that? Hellll yaaaaaa!!! :woot:
Sorry to say but it's a coincidence. They have been talking about this for a long time now. There has always been bad Kava around and they have always tried to keep it away from export and local Kava drinkers but have managed it only to varying degrees due to the fact that haven't always got the funds, let's hope they manage it better this time. Again though I stand by our Kava and don't accept the results of the test, they are not conclusive and I would love to see someone go down to the boys in Tanna and tell them their Kava is Tudei, holy s**t would I like to see that. Those guys are religious in their Kava cultivation, actually religious and they have a reputation to uphold. You wouldn't believe how long it took to even get permission to export their Kava. If the guys in Tanna wanted to sell Tudei they would have let us buy it years ago when we wanted to but no, it was a long and difficult process and I don't care what anyone claims this test shows because it is not conclusive in scientific terms and for the other simple reason that it is showing Tanna Kava as Tudei and I know from personal experience that there is no Tudei coming out of Tanna and anyone who has been there or dealt with the Tanna tribes will know this, they are tough people and they don't mess around, reputation is more important to them than money. I'm also completely confident that our other Kava varieties are noble also. Time will tell this test to be flawed. It has been carried out in good faith but it is flawed nonetheless, Dr. Lebot admits as much below in his email. A test that was conclusive would be welcome, most welcome, but not a flawed test which is inconclusive, simple as that.

Here is the email Dr. Lebot sent us when we asked him to test our Kava at a real laboratory (no offence intended Deleted User), he says the lab is for research purposes only and not for routine analysis which is really not fair when we are trying to prove that our Kava is good and he is supposed to be helping, but anyway I will let you read for yourself and see what you think. I'm not sure if any of our colleagues have already posted this here so I apologise if they have. Dr. Lebot states that the test could not be recognized internationally, don't forget to read that part folks, it's just as important as everything else he says. I'm sure there is Tudei Kava coming out of Vanuatu but this test isn't the test to rely on for proof of Tudei.

Hi *******,

I am afraid that you are not the only one facing this kind of problems as farmers have planted a lot of tudei kava these last years and many are now complaining, traders, exporters and local consumers alike.

for the time being, the lab at tagabe is for research purposes only, not for routine analyses. We are trying to develop a simple colorimetric test that everybody could use but it will take a while before it can be accepted as an internationally recognized test as we still don't know what are the molecules involved in these changes in colour. A colleague of mine is doing some tests on this and am waiting for his feedback.

the tudey kava problem is very serious at the moment and the Minister of Agriculture has recently launched an official campaign to tackle the problem. However, with limited means and no field officers to visit farmers on a regular basis, it is doubtful that the impact will be fast enough for you. The only option for you is to visit farmers and to make sure that they are really planting noble varieties, many claim that they are but are not ....

regards
vincent lebot

D

Deleted User01

Whether or not the tests are conclusive is one thing. The fact that people's dermopathy has cleared up since switching to the Noble Kavas is damning. It just seems like people around here are saying they have less side effects with the high ranking kavas then with the lower ranking kavas. And I have noticed that a few of the vendors are making an effort to test their latest batches of Kava to make sure it is Noble and by golly they are bragging about it. Good for them. Those vendors seem to be convinced as well. Lots of coincidences ... If somebody wants to put a cherry on top, let's go ahead and have a wholesaler post here what he has been told by some of the farmers themselves. (Though not all farmers). You know who you are out there, can you get your wholesaler to post here? Unlikely but it's worth a try.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I don't read Dr Lebot's email as casting any doubt on the test, he just doesn't know exactly why it works. There are untold pharmaceuticals that work where the mechanism is a complete mystery. I think the most telling part of his email is:
The only option for you is to visit farmers and to make sure that they are really planting noble varieties, many claim that they are but are not ....

D

Deleted User01

This is a great debate. As somebody else said, I love it that GKE is involved in it. But I still stand behind Deleted User's test because his results seem to jive with the side effects of Tudie vs. the lack of with Noble Kava. Screw test results, I'm basing it on Members who are posting their own experiences. It's just too much coincidence that the Kavas at the top of his test give less side effects than those at the bottom.

I agree, Vanuatu has been talking about this for a long time - twelve years, in fact - ever since the Kava Act of 2002 was enacted. But this news article says they now might actually do something, and that is what we are hoping for.

I take no offense, I never claimed to be a "real" lab, whatever that may be. But I am taking the greatest possible pains to ensure accurate results, and leaving plenty of latitude for interpretation. More on that will be explained below, but first let's address your statements that the acetone method is a "flawed test which is inconclusive" and that "Dr. Lebot admits as much below in his email". I heartily disagree with these statements, and personally interpret his email as the same basic message that I have received and included in many of my posts: The test has given no false positives or negatives, but official colorimetric standards will have to be developed before acceptance can be universal. According to my latest correspondence, this development is currently underway.

Further evidence of the validity of the test is shown by its inclusion in Vanuatu COA's, beginning last year and continuing to date. Below are two examples; the first is from Andrew Procyk, the second will remain private at the request of the provider:

Note that while the first COA shows testing by NIRS and thus does not include FK determination, it nevertheless includes the qualitative acetone test and deems one of the samples to be "two day". Though chemotype may have been a factor in this judgement, the acetone test was certainly considered. The second COA is from 2014; note that this test is by HPTLC and states FK content, but continues to include the acetone test. To me, this is rather solid evidence that Vanuatu does not consider the acetone test "flawed and inconclusive", nor does Dr. Lebot.

About your suppliers: I can understand and
sympathize with your faith in them, but you must understand that this sort of "evidence" isn't what I expect from a vendor, and is not very useful to us as consumers. There are many vendors who claim their product is absolutely noble, and plenty of those have been proven wrong by both my "not a real lab" and by anecdotal experience from consumers. I believe that statements such as "There was almost no euphoria, just a very heavy, drunken feeling. After sleeping for a long time, i'm still feeling gravity more than usual. In fact, even typing this isn't easy." and "Became too much for me, wasnt at all what I'm looking or in kava.", combined with my admittedly unofficial tests carry more weight than mere claims, regardless of how heartfelt.

Also on the topic of Vanuatu COA's, I find it rather disturbing that the few that have been offered have all had the most pertinent data blacked out, often under the guise of concealing their suppliers. These certificates have no real value to the consumer (or the FDA, for that matter), but do serve to illustrate that good suppliers are extremely scarce! This further reinforces the fact stated by Dr. Lebot himself, that much of the kava currently shipping from Vanuatu is adulterated with two day.

Getting even more specific, I offer a detailed explanation of my methodology and how it relates to GKE kava. Below is a portion of my most current test results - note the reading for BKH Koniak marked in red. According to Mr. Procyk, this is the kava that appears in the first COA above. I have personally tested three different Koniak samples (including one I personally bought), but these two will suffice for example. Both are known to be from the same batch, and both are decidedly orange when compared to known nobles. Now note their relation to the two GKE products marked in green, and the fact that I have designated this category "25-50% adulteration possible". Yes, that says "possible" - it does not say "absolutely". Nor is even the next category absolute - I have labeled these kavas as "likely" adulterated, despite the fact that all within these categories are clearly orange when compared to those in my "noble" category. My point is this: These ratings are extremely liberal, and basically just reinforce the reviews and anecdotal evidence. It is only when a kava tests at or above the coloration of known two day that I declare it as absolutely "not noble".

I didn't start off looking for adulteration, this factor was introduced by Dr. Lebot himself when he offered it as the very likely reason for inexplicable results. He recommended particular reference standards for noble and two day, and they are precisely what I am using.

Bearing all of this in mind, what do you propose? Where do you think the line for "absolutely noble" should be, and on what grounds? Should I move it to 578.3? Shall we go back to believing every claim any vendor makes?

Or shall we continue to move forward?

Personally, I wish to move forward. I am currently working with a USA based, FDA certified laboratory that will soon be able to offer the full range of tests necessary for FDA cGMP compliance, as well as chemotype and FK analysis. We are coordinating methods and standards with Vanuatu and other kava producing countries, and hope to begin tests soon on samples purchased from vendors by an independent agency, rather than vendor-supplied. This, along with spot-checking by colorimetric assay when standards are released, will provide an impartial database for consumers, and a valuable resource for vendors wishing to comply with FDA requirements and better meet consumer needs.

Are you interested in being involved?

Thank you,
Garry

Wow, I did piss you off with the 'real lab' comment lol, sorry about that mate, hit a nerve I think, my bad. I admit my wording is wrong in several places for sure and so a lot of what I have said is incorrect, I'm just a little upset by the emails I'm getting saying 'this kava tastes bad, I know from reading on the forum that your kava is bad, i want my money back!' When I offer the refund if they return the Kava that is left they claim to have used it all which is strange to me if they thought it was Tudei.

I'm happy to move forward Garry, for fecks sake I would never have sent you samples in the first place if I hadn't wanted to be involved, don't forget that. I still stand by the quality of the Kava I provide though and your use of the word 'likely' when it comes to my Kava being spiked with Tudei is still upsetting, can you understand that?

Also can you understand that the FDA means absolutely nothing to me as I don't operate in their jurisdiction but I would love to ensure that Kava doesn't get sh*tlisted like it did in Europe. I have unfortunately only been able to come on the forum a handful of times since this issue came up and admittedly I have read bits and pieces and replied in short bursts when really I should have read every thing over and over again before making a longer and more informed response.

Lets start over and get talking about this a bit more as I feel I'm falling behind in what's going on and I'm getting more upset by it than anything else which doesn't help the situation, no hard feelings towards you and Lebot, both of you are doing the right thing but some of us are getting the wrong end of the stick, especially from customers in some cases.

[QUOTE=" I still stand by the quality of the Kava I provide though and your use of the word 'likely' when it comes to my Kava being spiked with Tudei is still upsetting, can you understand that?
.[/QUOTE]
Just found out you didn't refer to my Kava as having been 'likely' spiked with Tudei, my bad. I will look through every post on this issue over the next day or two and get things straight. We are better working together on this rather than arguing. And by the way it was not any joined up member of this forum who was bullshitting me with the refunds, it was just some lurkers. Thought I would mention that before anyone asked who it was lol

I also couldn't see that chart when I replied. I can see now that only Marang Marang and Kaolik are in the possible range. It's quite perplexing, the trouble we had even getting the guys in Tanna to sell to us (as far as I know we are the only people able to get a hold of Tanna Kava) and it is showing as Tudei...it's melting my head.

Too much beer actually .... I ate too much of a heavy meal earlier to have Kava. I also feel like editing is cheating hahaha. I also feel guilty coming on here after drinking beer seeing as Kava is such a great alternative but you can take the Irishman out of Ireland but you cant etc etc