What's new

Kavalactones Extraction

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah I doubt it has mescaline. Confusion arose since Tequila is made of the Mezcal plant and they sound similar.
Though apparently the worm is psychoactive whether psychedelic or not I have no idea cause people don't do that here. The worm hangs around the Mezcal plant and is why it is associated.
The article is basically saying Tequila is alcohol.
I think I will have to eat these damn things to know.
No wonder you need some tequila beforehand.
OK I looked it up:
It talks a lot about making alcoholic drinks from agave, with references, and then at the end there is this:
"It is said that the mescal worm...should be eaten whole if a psychoactive effect is desired... Recently, a California manufacturer began producing sugar-free lollipops, each containing a mescal worm."

So "it is said that"... Said by whom? There is no reference given, but it is supposed to be a scholarly work? That just sounds like the kind of language people use when they repeat an urban legend, as in "It is said that President Obama is going to remove the Statue of Liberty because it offends Muslims."
However, it is true you can buy mezcal worm lollipops:
https://theevolutionstore.com/worm-lollipop/
which appears to be a novelty item. They also have scorpion lollipops, and "Larvet Snacks" ("These crunchy Mealworm snacks are a fine way to add some protein to your diet. They come in three savory flavors – BBQ, Cheddar, and Mexican Spice")

So.. there you go.

Reactions: EQ

Bwiggy

I like plants
Yes. Similar to doing the acetone test, after it settles, there will be powder at the bottom, and probably yellow-colored liquid on top. Siphon off the liquid, which contains the dissolved kavalactones. Dispose of the powder at the bottom, which will be depleted of kavalactones. Then let the liquid evaporate,
This seems great. I do not want to consume alcohol, so I guess I could let it evaporate. I have a dehydrator, but since it's alcohol and not water I guess the dehydrator won't work, right? @verticity

verticity

I'm interested in things
This seems great. I do not want to consume alcohol, so I guess I could let it evaporate. I have a dehydrator, but since it's alcohol and not water I guess the dehydrator won't work, right? @verticity
I don't know. If the dehydrator has heating elements and stuff it could be dangerous because alcohol is flammable. The easiest thing is just to let it sit out to evaporate. If you place the open container of alcoholic extract in a hot water bath it will evaporate faster...

Bwiggy

I like plants
Ah, cool, this seems easy. @verticity. Unless it takes weeks for the process.
What are the downsides of this? (Sorry if you already said it)

Palmetto

Thank God!
I bought some crunchy Mexican flavored mealworms at a country restaurant not too far from where Squanch lives. Kept them as a conversation piece.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Downside: Extract is generally weaker than traditionally prepared root.
Oh, that.
o_O
I might still try it. I feel like I'm not doing a very good job of extraction, no matter what I do, including soniification and blender and mix of those and dehydration.....

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh, that.
o_O
I might still try it. I feel like I'm not doing a very good job of extraction, no matter what I do, including soniification and blender and mix of those and dehydration.....
That's my personal experience. If you have used Paradise Extracts, Ozia Kava Candies, Kalm with Kava beverage, or Gaia capsules, and like them, then you might like extract, since those are all extract products. Gaia capsules are actually made by extraction with alcohol, similar to the method we are talking about here.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Oh, that.
o_O
Another thing you can do is spike your traditionally prepared kava with extract--for some extra "kick"--instead of consuming the extract by itself.

Palmetto

Thank God!
If price weren't an issue, I would definitely add extract to instant preps. I would love to get krunked with just two glasses (shells).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If price weren't an issue, I would definitely add extract to instant preps. I would love to get krunked with just two glasses (shells).
There are heavy kavas that will make that easy for you; BKH Nangol, Luna Kava Sol Blend, GHK Hanakapi'ai & Squanch waka

Palmetto

Thank God!
I found another Lebot article: Lebot & Siméoni - Is the Quality of Kava (Piper methysticum Forst. f.) Responsible for Different Geographical Patterns?

"The kava juice, prepared from dry or fresh roots, has a pH around 7 just after filtration and decreases slowly to 4.5 in a few hours depending on warm temperatures
which accelerate the phenomenon. Once the beverage reaches this acid pH, it is stable but never drunk. The acidification process is much faster if the beverage is
prepared from the fresh root. Warm temperatures activate the bacterial degradation but there is no fermentation process.

The dilution ratio is of course of utmost importance. In Vanuatu, kava bars adopt a 1:1 mix comparable to what farmers do for their own consumption. One liter
of water is mixed thoroughly with one kilogram of fresh ground roots The mixture is then pressed. The operation is conducted twice. For dry kava powder, the mix ratio
depends on the organ of the plant used."

Perhaps the acidification process changes the chemical composition and not just the taste (related to the ascorbic acid reduction idea to change the chemotype).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I found another Lebot article: Lebot & Siméoni - Is the Quality of Kava (Piper methysticum Forst. f.) Responsible for Different Geographical Patterns?

"The kava juice, prepared from dry or fresh roots, has a pH around 7 just after filtration and decreases slowly to 4.5 in a few hours depending on warm temperatures
which accelerate the phenomenon. Once the beverage reaches this acid pH, it is stable but never drunk. The acidification process is much faster if the beverage is
prepared from the fresh root. Warm temperatures activate the bacterial degradation but there is no fermentation process.

The dilution ratio is of course of utmost importance. In Vanuatu, kava bars adopt a 1:1 mix comparable to what farmers do for their own consumption. One liter
of water is mixed thoroughly with one kilogram of fresh ground roots The mixture is then pressed. The operation is conducted twice. For dry kava powder, the mix ratio
depends on the organ of the plant used."

Perhaps the acidification process changes the chemical composition and not just the taste (related to the ascorbic acid reduction idea to change the chemotype).
Getting the the fresh root is the hardest part.

Bwiggy

I like plants
After 8 hours, this is what 4 tablespoons of kava with 3/4 cup of Everclear looks like.
It seems like the kava totally absorbs the alcohol, and the kava goes to the top... the bottom is liquid.
You can see that this morning the glass was very full and is now down at least an inch.

Edit: I guess I will add more Everclear and let it sit overnight.

P.S. I poked the hole in the middle to see what the consistency is like. It's stiffer than pudding, if you want to know.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
After 8 hours, this is what 4 tablespoons of kava with 3/4 cup of Everclear looks like.
It seems like the kava totally absorbs the alcohol, and the kava goes to the top... the bottom is liquid.
You can see that this morning the glass was very full and is now down at least an inch.

P.S. I poked the hole in the middle to see what the consistency is like. It's stiffer than pudding, if you want to know.
What does the extract look like?

Bwiggy

I like plants
@KrunkyMonkey - I actually wouldn't call it extract at this point. I would say it starts out kinda dry on top and toward the bottom gets progressively more liquid.
I should have said the bottom is more liquidy - it is not "liquid"
At the bottom of the hole I made, liquid is present. The hole goes down about 1/3 of the way.