What's new

Kavalactones Extraction

Bwiggy

I like plants
Of course another alternative is just to do "cold extraction" with ethanol: Put some kava and everclear in a bottle and shake for a while at room temperature, then filter. Heating might not be necessary at all.
How long should you shake for? I have no idea...
@verticity - another question - is that all there is to this process? kava and ever clear in a bottle and shake? What would you use to filter it?

Last edited:

Bwiggy

I like plants
Re Hot Prep: I've been using different versions of the hot prep method for a month or so and it makes the resulting grog S o M u c h H e a v i e r IMO.

Bwiggy

I like plants
One more question for the expert apparent in the room @verticity - so you know all this stuff about extraction - what do you use on a regular basis? Is all the other stuff - ever clear, ethanol, etc. worth the effort?

verticity

I'm interested in things
One more question for the expert apparent in the room @verticity - so you know all this stuff about extraction - what do you use on a regular basis? Is all the other stuff - ever clear, ethanol, etc. worth the effort?
On a regular basis, and always, actually, I use traditional preparation: kneading in water. I know about extraction because I studied chemistry in graduate school. So, in my opinion, no it is not worth the effort unless you want to extract semi-pure kavalactones for some reason, such as to make a vaping product. The extract products I have tried have actually been relatively weak compared to trad prep, probably because the whole root acts synergistically to give you the complete kava experience.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity Would you add the ascobic acid in with kava/water/milk blender?
Or how would you use the a.a. - what would be the process?
Thanks for sharing all your knowledge
Prepare the kava as usual. Then add some ascorbic acid (I'm not sure how much), and shake it up. You could estimate how much you need with molar ratios. The reaction might work better if the liquid is hot. The reaction also might work too well, and destroy the kavain, instead of turning it into DHK, depending on conditions and how much AA you use, I really don't know. Ascorbic acid could, theoretically, also change methysticin into DHM, by the same mechanism of reducing the central double bond.

Sometimes I like to add some Crystal Light mix to my kava to help my flavor, about 1/2 tsp per cup of water. But one time I added Crystal Light Orange, which has a lot of ascorbic acid, and I noticed the kava dropped out of emulsion, as if some kind of chemical reaction had happened. I think this might be because kava root contains a natural emulsifying agent, which is like a long chain alcohol with a double bond in the middle, so the ascorbic acid may have been attacking that emusifying agent. (I can't find the paper about this since the True Kava Forum has been down...)

Palmetto

Thank God!
If I had to take an educated guess, I would assume that the hot water prep idea would be more noble than using ethanol, but this guess with little evidence to back it up. If I had to dream up an ideal high extraction prep method, I would imagine a water soluble long chain polymer with numerous lactone moieties pendant with the proper partitioning for kavalactones. As the room temperature root was mixed in water with those polymers overnight in an oxygen and light free environment during sonication, the kavalactones would gradually be siphoned off from the root and preferentially partition into the polymers at near the relative proportions a the traditional prep, yet at extraction efficiencies over 50%. Then I would separate out the plymers from the root/starch/ water mixture. Lastly, I would isolate the kavalactones by some means like 34 F precipitation or CO2 extraction. Can that actually be done? Who knows?

Do you think tequila worms would be a good partitioning agent for kavalactones? just kidding, I think

Bwiggy

I like plants
No need to filter it, just let it settle for 24 hours, and siphon the liquid off the top.
So @verticity are you saying mix powdered Root and Everclear, let it settle for 24 hours, then the liquid on top is going to look different. Siphon that off and consume or dispose of it?

Bwiggy

I like plants
Prepare the kava as usual. Then add some ascorbic acid (I'm not sure how much), and shake it up. You could estimate how much you need with molar ratios. The reaction might work better if the liquid is hot. The reaction also might work too well, and destroy the kavain, instead of turning it into DHK, depending on conditions and how much AA you use, I really don't know.
Holy Cow! So much knowledge! Completely unusable to me though, given my unwillingness to experiment.

verticity

I'm interested in things
So @verticity are you saying mix powdered Root and Everclear, let it settle for 24 hours, then the liquid on top is going to look different. Siphon that off and consume or dispose of it?
Yes. Similar to doing the acetone test, after it settles, there will be powder at the bottom, and probably yellow-colored liquid on top. Siphon off the liquid, which contains the dissolved kavalactones. Dispose of the powder at the bottom, which will be depleted of kavalactones. Then let the liquid evaporate, if you don't want to consume alcohol, to give extract, or if you don't mind drinking a little alcohol, you can consume it as a tincture. (If you do make a tincture, obviously the volume of alcohol should be extremely small so that it is not dangerous to drink with the kava, like a few drops per serving or something)

verticity

I'm interested in things
In the psychoactive plant encyclopedia I read that you need to eat 3 Tequila worms to get it's psychoactive effect I believe.
Does anybody have experience with this as I cannot find what the effect is.
@Mrbinx69 ? :ROFLMAO:
I think that is just a myth that the worms in tequila have any psychoactive effect:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/things-you-never-knew-about-tequila_n_5589092.html
The confusion apparently arose because tequila is called a 'mezcal' which just means a beverage made from agave plants--it is completely unrelated to the psychedelic 'mescaline.' The worm in question is actually the larvae of a moth that lives on agave plants.
You can buy ground up salted agave worms as 'Sal de Gusano' if you don't believe me and want to experiment. :rolleyes:

EQ

Atman
I think that is just a myth that the worms in tequila have any psychoactive effect:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/things-you-never-knew-about-tequila_n_5589092.html
The confusion apparently arose because tequila is called a 'mezcal' which just means a beverage made from agave plants--it is completely unrelated to the psychedelic 'mescaline.' The worm in question is actually the larvae of a moth that lives on agave plants.
You can buy ground up salted agave worms as 'Sal de Gusano' if you don't believe me and want to experiment. :rolleyes:
Yeah I doubt it has mescaline. Confusion arose since Tequila is made of the Mezcal plant and they sound similar.
Though apparently the worm is psychoactive whether psychedelic or not I have no idea cause people don't do that here. The worm hangs around the Mezcal plant and is why it is associated.
The article is basically saying Tequila is alcohol.
I think I will have to eat these damn things to know.
No wonder you need some tequila beforehand.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah I doubt it has mescaline. Confusion arose since Tequila is made of the Mezcal plant and they sound similar.
Though apparently the worm is psychoactive whether psychedelic or not I have no idea cause people don't do that here. The worm hangs around the Mezcal plant and is why it is associated.
The article is basically saying Tequila is alcohol.
I think I will have to eat these damn things to know.
No wonder you need some tequila beforehand.
Well, I just told you where to buy them... um ... but psychoactive? I really doubt it. If you want to try, just get some Sal de Gusano, soak it in water and strain to remove the salt, and bon appetit !