What's new

Kava... what's the catch?

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
That's a great photo...I saw some similar one's on here somewhere and no I didn't seem to get the 'flaky' bit and it's not itchy. I'm not very IT literate so can't post any photo's...it's red dots although it did sting like mad when I put the cream on which I read on here happens when you put it on your affected place's. It could be something else I suppose...I'll use the cream for the next few days as someone on here suggested I use it for that long. I'm thinking that because all animals end up in bed with me and hubby at some point in the night that it might be something from them....I don't know, thanks for your photo much appreciated

ps: I also blend with berries and honey so maybe that doesn't work

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
In general dermopathy does not itch; for me this is true at least. The Amlactin will sting if you have open cuts or wounds, but skin like shown in the picture should not sting too much (my own experience). Red dots sounds like something different. Could be fleas...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Can confirm. That's exactly what it looks like. Word to the wise though, whatever you do, don't use amlactin on skin that looks like that. If you do, I'm sure we'll be able to hear you from wherever you are.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@Sadie did you read my post about my red spots? Wound up being psityriasis rosea. Harmless viral infection that starts with a red "herald spot" then more little spots on torso slowly spreading to extremities.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I quit straining altogether and honestly dermopathy is no different. I really believe its kavalactones itself not the plant fibers. I probably ingest the same amount if kavalactones by gulping down about 1/2 to 2/3 the root is normally strain and I'm just the same. IMO straining is wasteful because you lose kavalactones lol. Things I've also noticed that greatly reduce dermopathy is sweating. When I was lifting weights all the time I barely had dermopathy. Took a break from that during winter and ill be damned if it didn't come back. Just recently I started a physically active job that makes me sweat a lot and noticed I have very little dermopathy. Your desk job with ac is making the problem worse lol. Washing with soap often makes the problem worse too, not that there's a workaround that lol but I generally only shower like 2x a week recently but back when I was daily it made it a ton worse.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
@Sadie did you read my post about my red spots? Wound up being psityriasis rosea. Harmless viral infection that starts with a red "herald spot" then more little spots on torso slowly spreading to extremities.
No I hadn't read your post on that. This exactly like what you're describing here. And it started like that too. It's not at all flakily or like the photo's I've seen. I'll google psityriasis rosea and see what I can use to help. Will go to Dr tomorrow if no better. Thanks for this...it might be the answer

ps: Just googled images of this and it's exactly like some of the pictures...it's not itchy though it is sore around my armpits. Thanks for the info - am quiet relieved

Last edited:

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I've had two separate Psitryiasis rosea flare-ups. It scared the hell out of me because I had no clue what the heck it was. This last round has lasted the majority of the winter. I googled and googled and googled, used 2% prescription cortisone which helped, quarantined my bath towels, loofah, deodorant,(they say it's not spreadable through physical contact,) I had no idea what it was until someone brought it up, here on the forum.

Certain soaps and 24hr antiperspirants that really dry me out, tend to bring on or aggravate the symptoms. Gentle soaps, like cetaphil, work best under my armpits. Good luck! And sunlight SERIOUSLY helps. I've seriously had this last round of rosea for five months. I just thank god it only appeared on the trunk of my body, and not on my face

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah it's usually restricted to the trunk it seems. I stopped using soap and warm water on the small patch I have to hopefully speed up recovery.

My doc said she has had 3 cases this year already but before that, hadn't seen it since like 2010. Kind of odd that it's flaring up suddenly. No known causes still.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
thank you both for the information and helpful suggestions. Unfortunately mine has spread everywhere as the day has gone on...armpits/throat/chest/inner thighs and around my knee's. I've been putting Anthisan on it but I don't know if it's helping or not. Dr tomorrow - I wish you well on your recovery with it August West - I really do and hope mine doesn't last as long, that's awful. I don't think it has anything to do with my Kava as it's just red angry sore spots...I don't know what to do to have a wash though...too sore

R

Rookietwoshoes

I hated the wrinkles and the farting. It definitely made me look older, probably due to the excessive dehydration. Beauty always comes first, in my book.

Beyond that, it's just not fair to the footslave to have a master who farts uncontrollably. Unless I'm displeased , of course .

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Ahhhh... the farting. Yes, I definitely get some of that. In varying degrees. I filter out a lotta roots, too, so I'd suspect there's something in kava that's "late fermenting" in the digestive system. Either the active compounds or just inactive compounds along for the long ride, I dunno which. Gut bacteria in the large intestine can have a field day with any undigested sugars or sugar-like substances. I had a maybe 7 shells session last night, and I'm totally fine with respect to gas today, so I think it may depend on variety of kava to some degree. Before I started straining the hell out of it, though, I can say that I did indeed Break Like the Wind with category five force.

verticity

I'm interested in things
thank you both for the information and helpful suggestions. Unfortunately mine has spread everywhere as the day has gone on...armpits/throat/chest/inner thighs and around my knee's. I've been putting Anthisan on it but I don't know if it's helping or not. Dr tomorrow - I wish you well on your recovery with it August West - I really do and hope mine doesn't last as long, that's awful. I don't think it has anything to do with my Kava as it's just red angry sore spots...I don't know what to do to have a wash though...too sore
I also had psityriasis rosea, about 15 years ago. If I recall correctly it cleared up after a month or two. I was not using kava at the time, so completely unrelated to that. Doc may give you some steroid cream which may help.

R

Rookietwoshoes

I like the farting after years of bloating and constipation...wrinkles I'm not so keen on
I suggest you invest in some high quality facial moisturizer if you want to avoid aging prematurely while sipping on grog. And also exfoliate more often.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I just want to reiterate his much sunlight helps me with the rosea patches. After 3-4 days of T-shirt weather and sunshine I noticed a little color on my face and arms. The flare-up I have on the inside of my arms to my elbows turned from the classic red rings to round spots that seemed to tan faster than my normal unaffected skin. They went from red/yellow and flaky, to non flaky and tan/brown. No more inflamed skin. It' s smooth and happy. I'd be willing to bet a few minutes in a tanning bed, may alleviate symptoms as well.

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
Let's see: it's relaxing, natural, non-addictive, has no withdrawal or developing a tolerance and it helps people WITH addiction, anf getting off of harmful substances.

What's the catch?

What are the downsides? What the things we could live without?
Sometimes if I have a "spin and grin" I can feel REALLY sick, like having the spins, but that is usually my own fault for not paying attention to the amount I use.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
So overall it seems like the biggest negatives are:

1. Dermopathy
2. Non-Dermopathy dry skin of the face-and-hands in particular.
3. Gas *poot*
4. Nausea
5. Taste

Are there any other effects that have caused people to stop for a while? What precipitates a "kava break" (other than the cost of the hobby) for those who go on and off again with it?

Personally, I would add "morning lethargy" or "lack of get to work motivation" that I'm starting to get after kava sessions. I would like to move my drinking to earlier in the evening, but my schedule doesn't really permit it.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Nausea gets to me most, out of the list. Either I drink too much too fast of a heady variety and end up getting anxious until it levels out, or I drink too much too fast of a well rounded variety, and the nausea forces me to quickly eat something and prematurely end the session. My sessions generally consist of one or two large shells, max. Because of work, kava starts at 930pm, get home around 10, eat, shower and bed by 11. That's why I can't really space out my shells into smaller amounts. Nausea gets me, easily 75% of the time.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
The things I thought that might be down to my Kava drinking wasn't. I have had really bad headaches for about 3/4 weeks, then the rash I posted on here about...late Wed night I was in an ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack..never rang for emergency services in my life. Anyway just been discharged and I have a viral infection which has been causing the headaches/rash/feeling like I was having a heart attack the other night. Good news is that I had scans on my internal organs/heart scan and chest xray and everything was fine...I'm so relieved as I really didn't know what was wrong. It wasn't Kava. It was a viral infection that attacked the nerves on my ribcage (which made me think I was having a heart attack) as well as the headaches/rash. I told them about Kava and they didn't really understand and none of them knew what it was. My liver is 100% healthy. I'm so pleased. Rash is much improved due to strong antibiotic drips while in hospital. Phew...