What's new

Kava... what's the catch?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You should stop drinking it until it subsides, and probably longer after that if you want it to really go away. I operate under the assumption that an entire new layer of skin must be created to shed the elements causing dermopathy, and that they are present even when the dermopathy is not noticable in smaller amounts. This process takes about 48 days.

You can also, of course, keep drinking, but until you find the right amount it will keep getting worse.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Actually reading your post you said you developed a rash -- is it red or irritated? Dermopathy generally until it gets really bad, presents more as a white, flaky and sometimes itchy area.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I love hearing about the US...landed in London many moons ago on the way to the States...met hubby..so here I am, it's cold, wet and grey here unfortunately..I'll keep up the treatment and see how it goes...thanks for the tips

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Actually reading your post you said you developed a rash -- is it red or irritated? Dermopathy generally until it gets really bad, presents more as a white, flaky and sometimes itchy area.
It's not itchy which is why I called in here to ask more experienced members advice...it's not sore either which is why I thought it might not be Dermopathy as I've only been drinking Kava for about 6 weeks...having never had it before...oh well...I will have to suck it up and cut down

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Then in order:

1. Dermo
2. Gas
3. Reverse Tolerance
4. Taste

What about longer-term effects. Any lethargy/lack of motivation?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
It's not itchy which is why I called in here to ask more experienced members advice...it's not sore either which is why I thought it might not be Dermopathy as I've only been drinking Kava for about 6 weeks...having never had it before...oh well...I will have to suck it up and cut down
Doesn't dermopathy present more easily when more root fibers are being ingested? Wouldn't a finer straining bag help?

I haven't had any dermopathy in 4 months of regular consumption, though have noticed some dry lips/dry hands in what I assumed to be a secondary effect of dehydration.

Bert07

Me like da kava
If we're talking about medium grind grog, absolutely the taste and most often the very bad stomach discomfort. For micro or instant - the steep price. And lastly, any kava tends to suppress my appetite to a good degree, and when I'm in need for eating a meal of some sort, it is barely tolerable to do so. I might get some dry lips every now and then but nothing the least bit bad. My hands actually have been getting really dry lately though I'm pretty sure it's because I've been washing them A LOT each day over the past week plus the dry air in the winter. Or it could be a mix of each - not sure. I'll have to see.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Doesn't dermopathy present more easily when more root fibers are being ingested? Wouldn't a finer straining bag help?

I haven't had any dermopathy in 4 months of regular consumption, though have noticed some dry lips/dry hands in what I assumed to be a secondary effect of dehydration.
Thanks for this and your other post. My hands are very dry and sore but I think that's because of the kneading in hot water so I tried the rolling pin method but couldn't really get the air out of the Ziploc bag...had a bit of a mess. I'm going to try Marco's one with the potato masher next as I'm keeping my hands out of it as much as possible. Could you recommend a strainer? I'm using a fine mesh hob/wine strainer I got from Ebay so you might be right about the root fibre....although I do end up with a lot of it in my strainer at the end so I thought I was pretty much getting it all out

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
That's great I'll try it. My rash is more like a heat rash...little red dots, not flakey...I'm scrabbling round looking for another reason...I'm in love with Kava...it's like taking a little meander down a calm road in the evening

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I drink loads of water...at least 2 litres a day so I don't think it's dehydration...I can't force any more water down than that. I've just used the cream recommended on here and it did sting. I just seem to have it on the 'sweat' points, behind one knee, inside of elbows and one armpit...do you think I need to stop using for a bit?

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I drink loads of water...at least 2 litres a day so I don't think it's dehydration...I can't force any more water down than that. I've just used the cream recommended on here and it did sting. I just seem to have it on the 'sweat' points, behind one knee, inside of elbows and one armpit...do you think I need to stop using for a bit?
I don't think taking a break seems to help. Unless its extended, like over 3 months. Just keep using the lotion.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I've only been drinking Kava for 6 weeks and it took 3 to break through the RT so I'm glad I can keep drinking whilst using the cream....thank you

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thanks for this and your other post. My hands are very dry and sore but I think that's because of the kneading in hot water so I tried the rolling pin method but couldn't really get the air out of the Ziploc bag...had a bit of a mess. I'm going to try Marco's one with the potato masher next as I'm keeping my hands out of it as much as possible. Could you recommend a strainer? I'm using a fine mesh hob/wine strainer I got from Ebay so you might be right about the root fibre....although I do end up with a lot of it in my strainer at the end so I thought I was pretty much getting it all out
For your hands, I would recommend using gloves while kneading, for example:
Clean Ones Disposable Essentials Latex-free Vinyl Gloves

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@Sadie sorry I didn't tell you. What you do when starting is once you have your water in the bag, lay it flat on your rolling surface and then guide the pin over it letting all the air out. Then seal it, and then you can roll back and forth to your hearts content. Remember you can always add more water but you can't add less (at least not without a lot of work).

I use gloves even when straining the result of the rolling pin. Stuff's hard on your hands.

I would also definitely recommend getting a strainer. Most vendors sell fijian-style strainers (my favorite), or you can just use a variety of household items (women's nylon stockings are very easy to get, and you can double up on them if you need to).

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you all for your advice. I've just had a bath and this rash has spread like a wildfire...armpits/chest/inner arms/neck/inner thigh down to knee...WTF...I have the cream, put it on..lots of it and it stung like hell. My hands are a bit better - due to using the rolling pin method. If I stop and use the cream will it clear up quickly...I'm thinking I don't want to end my relationship with Kava but don't want to have to go through RT again if I stop for a bit...all advice/suggestions/sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thank you all for your advice. I've just had a bath and this rash has spread like a wildfire...armpits/chest/inner arms/neck/inner thigh down to knee...WTF...I have the cream, put it on..lots of it and it stung like hell. My hands are a bit better - due to using the rolling pin method. If I stop and use the cream will it clear up quickly...I'm thinking I don't want to end my relationship with Kava but don't want to have to go through RT again if I stop for a bit...all advice/suggestions/sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated
Since you describe it as a "rash" I'm wondering if it is actually dermopathy. Maybe you should see a doctor. This is what dermo looks like:

from Infraredz's post: Kava Dermopathy