What's new

Kava in Literature - Nonfiction/Fiction/Anthropology/Other

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Anyone else have a grudge against the way Kava is portrayed in "Getting Stoned With Savages?" I think the author makes it sound way more powerful (in a bad way) than it really is.
Yes definitely. I read the book but took it really as a lightweight book about a guy on his holidays. I think the only reason it got anywhere is the alluring (for some) title.

Not as bad as Pamela Stevensons book on travelling the Pacific "Treasure Islands" though - that was just terrible. I only kept reading till the end to see if it could possibly get any worse, and it did, right up to when she describes herself cavorting with "natives" in the mountains of Nuku Hiva, when she is actually just speaking to a tour guide from a 5 star resort..

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I found something interesting. Apparently there is a man named Y. N. (Yadhu Nand)
Singh that published a book called Kava: A Bibliography. It supposedly consists of 800 entries. It was published in 1986. I wonder what's in it? I might have to get a copy just to satisfy personal curiosity. Has anyone here seen/read it??
Issue: 39 Page: 33
I found most all the text and some of the pictures (of the 1997 Yadhu Singh, Kava- An Overview) on-line at American Botanical Council website. Lots of information, some good, some out-of date.--
Kava: An Overview.Distribution, Mythology, Botany, Culture, Chemistry, and Pharmacology of the South Pacific’s Most Revered Herb
by Yadhu N. Singh, Mark Blumenthal
HerbalGram. 1997; 39:33 American Botanical Council

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Anyone know where I can get a copy of "Buveurs de Kava" in the states?
There's only a few copies available on the internet to buy. It's out of print and the cheapest copy I can find runs $200 for a used one. It's supposed to be amazing so I am thinking of buying it for my wife for her birthday. We both speak French.