What's new

Kava in Literature - Nonfiction/Fiction/Anthropology/Other

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
It would be great to put together a good bibliography (non-botanical) of books where Kava is mentioned. On the shout outs @verticity mentioned a book where Oliver Sacks discussed Kava. I think most of us know J. Marteen Troost's "Getting Stoned With Savages," which talks quite extensively about Kava. His accounts seem a bit suspicious and overcooked to me, but it's still a fun read.

Any other books where Kava plays a major role? It makes some appearances in Paul Theroux's "Paddling the Pacific" and "Hotel Honolulu," but nothing too eye-opening there.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
It would be great to put together a good bibliography (non-botanical) of books where Kava is mentioned. On the shout outs @verticity mentioned a book where Oliver Sacks discussed Kava. I think most of us know J. Marteen Troost's "Getting Stoned With Savages," which talks quite extensively about Kava. His accounts seem a bit suspicious and overcooked to me, but it's still a fun read.

Any other books where Kava plays a major role? It makes some appearances in Paul Theroux's "Paddling the Pacific" and "Hotel Honolulu," but nothing too eye-opening there.
Not sure if you saw/read the small essay I wrote - Shadows and Tradition- In Depth section . That Chapter has wonderful descriptions about kava. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Best if you can get the Kindle (should be free) and read the chapter 14.

verticity

I'm interested in things
This is the book by Oliver Sacks where he tried kava in Pohnpei:
Amazon productThe book is mostly about an island where most of the residents are colorblind, but the kava episode is interesting. It is where I first learned about kava, actually.
EDIT: The original publication date was 1997

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Its in French, but Vincent Lebot released a fat coffee table book on kava "Buveurs de Kava" in mid 2014. Over 300 glossy pages.
It does have a bit of botanical content but also a lot of history & ceremony and loads of photos for those that don't read french.

Another good one that is always on abebooks.com is Tom Harrisson's "Savage Civilisation" about the 1930's Cambridge University trip to Malekula. Many of the older books on Vanuatu are hard to read (especially the 1800's missionary ones) but this one is a good read, includes kava descriptions, and can be had for about $30.
Also "Stone Men of Malekula" by John Layard - hard to find but excellent - lots of kava ritual described from Vao in the 1930's-40's..

@kavadude, @Kavasseur - I have a 20 year collection of Pacific books, a few hundred, many antique, and whilst they are all in storage in NZ, I have a title list here. I can send you the ones that mention kava for your list if you like

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Not sure if you saw/read the small essay I wrote - Shadows and Tradition- In Depth section . That Chapter has wonderful descriptions about kava. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Best if you can get the Kindle (should be free) and read the chapter 14.
Where can I find this?

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
I found something interesting. Apparently there is a man named Y. N. (Yadhu Nand)
Singh that published a book called Kava: A Bibliography. It supposedly consists of 800 entries. It was published in 1986. I wonder what's in it? I might have to get a copy just to satisfy personal curiosity. Has anyone here seen/read it??

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I found something interesting. Apparently there is a man named Y. N. (Yadhu Nand)
Singh that published a book called Kava: A Bibliography. It supposedly consists of 800 entries. It was published in 1986. I wonder what's in it? I might have to get a copy just to satisfy personal curiosity. Has anyone here seen/read it??
There is a lengthy Kava devoted edition of "Herbalgram" magazine Spring 1997 # 39 which Yadhu Singh wrote- Kava, An Overview. Not the 800 page Bibliography, but still interesting and many photos. I do not know if they sell back issues but I'll try and find out.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

Has anyone listed these? Besides me, that is...
-- Chris Kilham's book- Kava: Medicine Hunting in Paradise (Park Street Press) and his- Tales from the Medicine Trail (Rodale Books) a section is devoted to 'awa hunting here in Hawaii

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Another is Maggie Greenwoods-Robinson's book "Kava"........but it very much from a new-agey herbal supplement point of view rather than a cultural/anthropological one.

"The tree and the canoe" by Bonnemaison in a great book on historical Tanna that has a good amount of kava culture described - published by Uni of Hawaii.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Anyone else have a grudge against the way Kava is portrayed in "Getting Stoned With Savages?" I think the author makes it sound way more powerful (in a bad way) than it really is.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Bae mi kam glad sapos ikat wan version blo bislama. French... well there's always Google translate, lol.
No Google Translate for Bislama, unfortunately... I don't know if there is an electronic version of the book. I don't think so.