What's new

I have a few questions on kava

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
Hey everyone here at the kava lounge. I've been lurking here for 2-3 days now.

Heres my 1st post. Went to the vitamin shop today to pick up some kava pills to hold me over till I order some real good stuff.

So we've come to my 1st question: What to buy/where to get it.

I want to spend under 60 dollars. I want an amount that will last me a good month. I used to be big into K@ but my scale is now broken.

So Until I can afford a nice scale, I'll be using spoons. I do plan on getting the coco milk, the shells, and maybe a bajilla straw. (like you use with mate)

But I haven't really used kava since I was a young little guy and I'm lost. I don't know 1. the best vendors. 2. the best kava 3. how much to get.

1. Can you guys recommend a high quality online kava shop?

2. Can you guys give me an idea of what type of kavas I should be looking out for?

3. Can someone tell me how much kava I'll need for a months use?

I've used kava back in the day, but I barely remember anything about this. Whats your recommended shop these days?

I probably wont go for extracts since I hear mist if them just aren't as good as dry kava powder. Which is fine.

I'm also interested in dosing. I hope someone can help me with how much to take.

The worst part about this is I learned that kava needs lipids to work best, yes? So I will probably be buying cream or coconut milk.

That is needed when I am kneeding or blending, correct?

If anyone could help, It'd be really appreciated. I need a trust worthy shop that sells some great kava at fair prices.

I have a severe anxiety disorder. I'm a shut in. Otherwise, when I am feeling OK, I love to talk to others and get out of the house.

So hopefully I can get some help here. Thanks.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The nature of kava is that it carries a reverse tolerance. The reverse tolerance dictates that it will gain effective strength the more you consume it. Hopefully the pills will help you through that. Now, to answer your questions.
1.) Nakamal @ Home, Paradise Kava, Kava By Rex, and Bula Kava House are all good vendors.2.) You should be looking for Stone, white/black sands from Nakamal@Home, Fijian or Hawaiian from Paradise Kava, Waka from Kava By Rex, or anything from Bula kava House. These are good starting kavas. I wouldn't suggest ISA as a starting kava due to nausea that can happen with the strain.3.) 2.2 lbs (1000g) will last me about a month, but of course your mileage will vary because everyone consumes at different rates.
You will want to invest in a couple of strainers (I'd get 2 or 3 from Nakamal @ Home). After that you're set! Soak your kava in water for 30 minutes, then squeeze it for 20, then chill and drink. 
The lipid question: Debatable as to whether or not a lipid is necessary when preparing kava. It wont hurt, but I personally haven't found it necessary.
Edit: Left out Bula Kava House. Work started too early this morning.

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
I wonder if these pills will be a good booster for the dry kava. They arent very powerful on their own.

They are the best, and most expensive pills I could find at the vitamin shoppe. We'll see.

I know the pills dont always effect everyone at all, some of them are bunk all together. Hope not with these.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just out of curiosity are they gaia herbs?

I actually got an appreciable effect with Gaia Herbs Phytocaps and I can attribute knocking out my reverse tolerance with them.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, what Kapm said. Kava by rex and Bula kava house both sell 2+ pounds to your door for 60-65 bucks. And remember that when kava vendors sometimes speak of certain varieties not being good for beginners and having extreme potency, those varieties may cause nausea in mid-high doses and hang on into the next day(isa/tudai).

And for dosing, a good place to start would be two heaping tablespoons per 8-12oz. I suggest preparing 4-6 tablespoons, and you can always put what you dont use in the fridge. For me, I usually prepare around six tablespoons in 3+cups of water. my dosage comes out to a half cup of liquid every 20 minutes until I feel effects, then i back off. And I Consume 3-6 heaping tablespoons in a session that may take three hours to consume. But ultimately, people prepare their grog at all different potencies. I feel the above dosage would be a safe, somewhat average place to start for your first session, then make more or less depending on how that goes.

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
yes I've got the gaia herbs kava caps. I took 5 last night and 2-3 this morning.

before getting these caps I was on/off using yogi tea, 4-5 bags at a time.

But the yogi tea and these caps aren't as good as I remember strait kava root being a few years ago, back in highschool.

I'm hoping the gaia herbs pills will take care of my reverse tolerance.

Is there usually a set amount of time it takes to start feeling right from the gaia herbs liquid gels?

Any1 know if I should be using them night and morning or if I should I give my body a break and only use them at night?

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
I believe they have 75mg of kavalactones per pill. 5-6 last night and around 4 since I woke up today.

It seems to be coming in small waves. Very small. Maybe I need to keep taking them for several days?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Contrary to what you may think you should be taking them steadily and often, every few hours. When you get your powdered root your system will already be saturated with kavalactones which will give you a good starting point. In fact you'll actually end up using less root if you don't have to bombard yourself right off.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
I also started with gaia pills, i took them daily for 3-4 months before I found out about root. It definitely helped with reverse tolerance.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
I would caution against using a bombilla straw, as with yerba mate, because the ground root is literally powder (not chopped leaves/stems like mate). You will drink everything and likely gag. Also, you would not be able to drink it nearly fast enough.  Even life-long kava drinkers chug shells - kava is NOT an acquired taste for the majority of people.

As others have stated, strain using a nylon stocking or one of the strainers available on the kava vendors' websites for the most drinkable results.

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
Hmmm Bula has the coconut shells that I wanted. Maybe I should order from them.

Whats the best kava from Bula Kava House? I'm thinking I'll try the Boroguru?

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
stone and boroguru are both good choices. fyi boroguru is more body effect than head effect but its my favorite. really strong muscle relaxer

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
These pills are starting to have a cumulative effect I think? I'm starting to feel very tired.

I've been taking 1-2 every hour or two since last night. Starting to feel pretty relaxed.

Can anyone recommend something (maybe from Bula) that has a good mix of body + head.

I would REALLY like some good euphoria. Any suggestions?

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I'll echo the bombilla comment from earlier. I tried to drink blended kava with a bombilla, but it just clogged it up. I can't see it working.

Fu'u is pretty much the opposite of Borogoru in my opinion. Very heady, not much body. Would be a good pair to mix. It looks like you could stay around $60 with a pound of each.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
If you want heady get a pound of nambawan even though it's more expensive. If you want something that's still pretty heady, get stone. It used to be way more expensive then it is now. It's one of the most intoxicating kavas out there in my opinion. But boroguru is a fantastic kava. I'd say boroguru is an 8 or 9 and stone is a 10

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
Hey Krunkedout! Happy to see you responded to my thread.

Right now my Gaia Herbs Kavalactone pills are finally starting to work... I think?

My whole upper body is starting to glow realllllllllllllly nicely.

Is this what kava feels like? Because this is starting to feel pretty nice. :)