What's new

Advantages of Grinds

D

Deactivated Account

Does skinned mean they peel off the bark? Sorry I've never seen real root yet.
Yep…its done pretty fast & roughly. With a bucket of fresh kava in vanuatu (at a guess a larger nakamal might go through 10 US gal/night..40 odd litres) you dont get any solids because its really the juice of the minced root thats mixing with the water thus no skin issues ever.

kava skin.jpg

Attachments

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
That's very cool Nemo. I skinned a few soaked pieces this morning and the wood loosely gave way so that I could scrap the kava chunks off the wood. It was almost like peanut butter. I mushed it up added a bit of honey and lemon and got a cool little buzz off it for about an hour. Yet another way to enjoy especially for those who have a hard time stomaching kava.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deactivated Account

That's very cool Nemo. I skinned a few soaked pieces this morning and the wood loosely gave way so that I could scrap the kava chunks off the wood. It was almost like peanut butter. I mushed it up added a bit of honey and lemon and got a cool little buzz off it for about an hour. Yet another way to enjoy especially for those who have a hard time stomaching kava.
I have several prep photos from Vila in this link if you had not seen them.

http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/some-photos-vanuatu.1750/

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
What an experience and thanks for sharing. Is fresh much better in terms of taste and effect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deactivated Account

What an experience and thanks for sharing. Is fresh much better in terms of taste and effect?
A whole lot better in both counts. Taste because as i mentioned its more a juice than a reconstitute powder…its very clean tasting by comparison however the instant you ever have your first fresh shell you get a very sappy flavour. As to strength…well even a weak fresh in vanuatu is stronger than the best powder ive found. If you get to the nakamal early, the first bucket is generally the strongest. It can be very strong so much as sometimes i will only have a few shells. That said i will drink maybe 6-8 a night there for average kava but im pretty damned wonky when i have to get up & walk. Locals know & ive learnt to space them out 20 mins or so between. If you rush it…it will put you in the bushes.

You can drink 6-8 shells over a few hours & have a very very enjoyable time…if you drink 5 in 10 mins you will most certainly not have an enjoyable time. Moderation at a level you fell comfortable with is the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
If the powder is fine enough like powdered sugar I don't even bother w/ mixing/straining crap. Tossing & washing micronizes kava is essentially no different than taking kava capsules.

Last edited:

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
In the short term KeepOnKrunkin', I think you can get away with wash and toss. I do the same with GHK's micronized varieties but only because his process removes most of the macas before grinding. I've found washing and tossing for any length of time with any other varieties leads to the undesirables...derm and diarrhea. It all depends on the individual I guess.