What's new

Advantages of Grinds

infraredz

BULA!
The above one that you usually find at drugstores. The only difference being I use "pantyhoses" (sorry, I'm always confused by terms for women's garments) and then cut around the lower thigh and then cut a small slit so I can tie the stocking "ends" together. One could get away with shorter ones too though, I just don't see them at the CVS I frequent for my stockings... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Has anyone done any work with a solid piece of root before it gets chopped? I picked up some root pieces from realkava and have experimenting with trying to isolate where the good kavalactones are stored within the root before it goes through the grind. I've noticed if you soak a solid piece in water it begins to break down and you can get at a spongy type piece isolated from the woody part of the root. I believe it is the spongy pieces that have the good stuff in it and not so much the wood part, but I'm not sure? Has anyone ever tried this? I'm trying to determine if separating the two prior to crushing might eliminate most so the sediment issue. If anyone has ever chewed on a piece they would know what I'm talking about. Anyone have any thoughts they would like share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
[quote="SirKavaLot, post: 20654, member: 740"I believe it is the spongy pieces that have the good stuff in it and not so much the wood part, but I'm not sure?[/quote]
I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. Because I believe it's fairly common in lots of other foods that all the really good nutrients and stuff are in the skin and not so much in the body. Like if you peel a potato and throw away the peels, you are throwing the most nutritious part away. If you make mashed potatoes, it's usually recommended you leave the skin on.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Nylon strainers and my mixing bowl (yes, shield your eyes. The fanciness of this setup may blind you)

Tripled up strainers in my fancy bowl

Heating up the water for the 30 minute soak.

55 grams boroguru (nearing the end of my supply)

Then I add the heated water. Let it sit in a styrofoam container and begin the kneading process 30 minutes later. Afterwards I knead the hell out of it for 20 minutes. Works 100% of the time 100% of the time.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Kapmcrunk Wow thanks for doing that!! I'm glad you did because I had no idea whatsoever that is what you meant by a paint strainer.

Here is a 145 micron paint strainer I was thinking of:
BNK81-82.JPG

So you can maybe understand my confusion. One thing I'm unclear of is understanding how you're using the styrofoam container. Are you letting it drip into the styro for 30 min. then knead it in the plastic bowl, then combine what's in the bowl with what's in the styro?

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks Headhodge. I have a few pieces soaking and will try to see if I can get something decent out of it. I'll post some pics later.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
One thing I'm unclear of is understanding how you're using the styrofoam container. Are you letting it drip into the styro for 30 min. then knead it in the plastic bowl, then combine what's in the bowl with what's in the styro?
@Kapmcrunk Oh I think I figured it out, your sticking the whole thing into a styro container to keep the water hot to cook the Kava for the 30min. Right?? Ingenious.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I put the whole kava and bowl assembly into a styrofoam cooler to trap in the heat for 30 minutes.

edit: and just saw your reply. So yes, you're correct :)

D

Deactivated Account

I never care if it's course or super fine. I will take any punch to the face if it's good kava.

But yes the sediment will turn you into a Gorn...I'm currently transforming.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Kapmcrunk If I bought one of these, which would you recommend (fine or regular mesh)? Is polyester ok or should I just stick to nylon (if I can find one)?
Untitled.jpg

While searching for paint strainers, I accidentally found a photo of @nemo hanging with Shatner:
images.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deactivated Account

While searching for paint strainers, I accidentally found a photo
Still the greatest hand to hand combat action scene of all time...odd to see them sitting together like that. Clearly they have reconciled.

infraredz

BULA!
@HeadHodge Regarding the paint strainers (when I was using them), I used the exact same ones that are second in that list (the "fine mesh plain top") because the store I bough them at didn't have the finer ones although I might want to try those out knowing there are 250micron ones. With the ones I bought, I used 3 of them "tripled up" and they last a full month of daily kneading.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge Regarding the paint strainers (when I was using them)
Why did you stop using them? Are the stockings less expensive maybe? If I tried the paint strainers do you think polyester is ok? I think nylon and polyester are both materials (as opposed to plastic). But I could be wrong. Where's KavaGurl when you need her? :)

infraredz

BULA!
I just found them harder to work with compared to nylons which you can tie shut. They're both thermoplastics if I remember correctly...

Sent from my tablet using a chisel

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
As an option you can try mosquito netting. It works very well doubled up and is relatively cheap for the size of material you can get. I did this before moving on to a kava nylon bag. I mix my kava in a shakable Rubbermaid container, soak for a couple of hours and then pour directly into the bag catching the kava, and filtering into a bowl. Knead a couple of times and you're good to go.

D

Deactivated Account

Anyone have any thoughts they would like share?

Watched it being prepared in vila heaps. Root is washed,skinned & chopped into about 1/2" pieces & simply put through an electric meat mincer.

That mash is then put in a cloth & washed into a bucket of water straight away.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
As an option you can try mosquito netting. It works very well doubled up and is relatively cheap for the size of material you can get. I did this before moving on to a kava nylon bag. I mix my kava in a shakable Rubbermaid container, soak for a couple of hours and then pour directly into the bag catching the kava, and filtering into a bowl. Knead a couple of times and you're good to go.

Question @SirKavaLot, what do you do with the mosquitos??
(almost a serious question :))

Sent from my iPad using extensive knowledge of the alphabet