What's new

Wow, super good extraction

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
I just wanted to give a big Mahaolo to Gourmet Hawaiian Kava for their preperation advice.
All I have to say is that I WILL NEVER DO IT ANOTHER WAY FOR NOW ON!

The only variation Im chaning is instead of boiling the water and root together, I am pouring boiling water over the root with sunflower Lecitihin.
WOW, strongest Ive ever had.
It has more numbing effect then Paradises extracts, and a WOLLUP of a chill.
This is the 2nd night of doing it, and it is lighting my world up.
Fijian/Hawaiian mixture I've concocted

Heat works MUCH better then cold.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Good on you for trying it. I was too scared to try mine, plus I couldnt even get it through my strainer.

endwatcher

Haha. yeah its a bit thick.
But full of delicious Kavalactones!
Trust me, you wont regret it!

It takes about twice as long for me to make it this way, but its worth it

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I definitely agree. I had tried boiling hot water years ago based off the recommendation of a 'awa bar owner. But I was trying to make a huge batch for a lot of people and I think I messed something up along the way as it didn't seem special. I have always stuck with warming my water in the microwave 1st and that's always worked nicely...but once I saw Chris from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava mention the boiling method again, I figured I'd give it another shot...and it knocked my socks off!
It does take a little more work, it's a bit messy and tastes funkier...but it no doubt increases the potency. This experience ranks among my top 3 strongest, if not #1. I modified Chris' directions a bit when I did it...I used a microwave and used the same amount of root I normally would.
1) I put about 8 scoops into a microwavable tupperware and poured about 1 3/4 cups water on top of it and stirred it around to get rid of clumps.
2) I heated in the microwave for about 1:30 then stirred again & heated again for maybe another minute. (not necessarily boiling temp..but very hot)
3) In my bigger kava bowl i set my paint strainer in it, opened up and poured the hot kava/water into it...and spooned in any stuck bits.
4) Lifted up the paint strainer which is now full of a thick kava sludge and slowly began squeezing the water out into the bowl. It takes a little while and can get a bit sloppy here. ^---This part probably wouldn't work with a fijian strainer.
5) Once most of the water is out of the strainer I put water in a smaller bowl and strain the kava in the new water like I normally would. After that you can mix 'em both together and go for it.

I was surprised that the hot kava/water and the first straining (that was only to get the water out), seemed to have gotten most of the kavalactones out with almost no kneading....when i put the strainer in the new water and started doing a normal knead & strain, it felt noticeably dry already and took a lot of kneading to get much more out.

side note: i tried to do this again with a high kavain strain (tongan pride) and it didn't seem to be nearly as intense. i used a strong fiji-waka the 1st time.

Last edited:

violet

Do all things with love
I've always used boiling/freshly boiled water for my second washes. Sometimes they come out as strong as the first. I tried boiling last night, but it definitely clogged my fijian strainer.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hey Endwatcher, I am glad you like this new way of making the kava drink, you can modify the directions to suit your needs.
The reason it is so thick is because of the starch in the kava, the reason it is stronger is because the boiling ruptures all the sells in the starch and releases the kavalactones. I will make a video of me doing this method I do and then you can all see what I am talking about, the glossy sheen you see when the kavalactones are released, the timing in the boiling, the straining and things like that, then you guys can try that and modify it the way you want. I developed this after many tries of different boiling methods, aloha to all.

Chris

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
Hey Endwatcher, I am glad you like this new way of making the kava drink, you can modify the directions to suit your needs.
The reason it is so thick is because of the starch in the kava, the reason it is stronger is because the boiling ruptures all the sells in the starch and releases the kavalactones. I will make a video of me doing this method I do and then you can all see what I am talking about, the glossy sheen you see when the kavalactones are released, the timing in the boiling, the straining and things like that, then you guys can try that and modify it the way you want. I developed this after many tries of different boiling methods, aloha to all.

Chris
A video of your prep method would be wonderful!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Deleted User, I think you have me confused with Johnathan Yee of Hawaiian Kava Center, he does sell micronized kava but it is not truly micronized, wait till you try my micronized kava, it is like baby powder and it is only the ground root, nothing else added. Jonathan's powder is fine and it is good, there is nothing wrong with it so don't get me wrong but kava can get finer than what he has, that way you use less because you do not need to strain the kava, that is how fine it is. Aloha.

Chris

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone else want to weigh in on the best extraction method? I have heard boiling water is bad. Neither kavassuer or Adil recommend it. I of course want to get the most of my awa, (who wouldn't? :bigmoney:) so boiling on the second wash sounds plausible as more potent. But I'm not sure it needs it on the first wash....

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
"Best" is a subjective term.

Everyone here has a way of making it. If someone wants to boil their kava that's fine for them if that's what gets it for them. I'd at least give it a shot first.

“ Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” - Prince Gautama Siddharta

Long one but a good one.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Skywalker, trust me, I know what I am talking about, as you said those 2 do not recommend it, they did not say not to do it, or maybe they did, either way, it will not hurt the kavalactones and it is best if you do it on the first wash, wait for my video and you will see exactly how I do it.
I mad a drink from some kava I had, in the cold water method and then I made some with the boiling method and then I gave the 2 to a friend of mine that has a HPLC unit to test the kavalactones, the boiled drink had 13% more kavalactones in it than the cold water method.
I have been studding, growing and researching kava long before I decided to sell it.
I can guarantee that if you boil it the way I show you, then you will have a stronger drink, and it will not destroy the kavalactones.
Some people say that heat will destroy kavalactones, well most of them will melt at about 130 degrees, the tests that showed that the kavalactones were destroyed with heat was when they took the sample and put it in an oven for several hrs, it was like charcoal, of course it will loose the active ingredient when done like that. But after saying all that, just do what works for you and do what you like and keep an open mind, a true scientist will not be afraid to admit when they are wrong, that is why I did my test and proved that there is a way to boil kava and not destroy the kavalactones but actually make more of them available in the drink because the heat ruptures the cell walls releasing the kavalactones, the cold water method is relying on the cells that have been ruptured already by the mechanical means when they ground it up into a powder, in the powder that are still cells that are intact and not ruptured, they still hold kavalactones.
I will be making my video tomorrow and posting it so everyone can see it and try it for themselves, that way you can see first hand if it works or not.
And if you are worried about the liver problems, there is nothing in the root or the stump of the kava that will cause liver problems, just kava alone, taken with other things it can cause liver problems, for example if you take kava and alcohol, that is bad and even mixing it with other herbs can be bad. As always let me know if you have any questions, I will be happy to provide the studies that I get my info from, I even know personally most of the people doing research on kava. Aloha to all.

Chris

kavakavakrunk

Kava = Peace
Wow, very interesting post. I will have to give this a shot tonight. I always use warm water when preparing kava because I as well read that boiling kava kills the kavalactones. I think it actually says "Do not use boiling water" in KBR's preparations method. I can't recall considering it has been a while since I ordered from him.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Does anyone else want to weigh in on the best extraction method? I have heard boiling water is bad. Neither kavassuer or Adil recommend it. I of course want to get the most of my awa, (who wouldn't? :bigmoney:) so boiling on the second wash sounds plausible as more potent. But I'm not sure it needs it on the first wash....
Given studies and members experiences here, I think its safe to say that kavalactones are quite stable at boiling temps. I'd be more worried about pulling other undesirables into the brew, potentially causing nausea and other stuff. But it's pretty clear that it works.

D

Deactivated Account

Hi Chris. Is there a physiological issue when mixing kava & alcohol ?

I never ever do it myself.

I understand both alone but have always wondered if when mixed..if there is some compounding issue.

Cheers

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI Nemo, I am not sure if there is any documented physiological issues when you mix the 2 but I do know that Kava will compound the effect, it will make it stronger, for example, there was a documented case where a man took kava extract and Xanax and he went into a coma, after about 12 hrs he came out of it and was alright, but that shows the compounding effect of kava, that is why you do not mix it with anything but water, just like they have in the south pacific for thousands of years. Mixing the 2 have created a big problem for the Aborigines in Australia. Aloha.

Chris

endwatcher

So, I strain mine twice.
First strain was in a old shirt "was the only thing I could find"
Then a 2nd strain in the Fijian.
It is a super pain, but that doesnt matter when you pre-drink some brew before doing it.
Then you are chill and awed by the extraction.

I think mines even thicker because of the Lecithin.

The numbing effect was the same/if not more then paradises extracts
I would have to the the effect was the same, if not better also.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I'd never be allowed to bring kava to boil on the stove so I heated some water up to boiling in the microwave and steeped the kava in it for 5 minutes. Then I added cool water to make it comfortable to the touch and massaged as normal.

The method works. It'll make a solid bowl of kava. It takes away some of the flavor profile but the method has it's place.