What's new

Why does kava start to smell weird if you let it sit in water overnight?

verticity

I'm interested in things
This makes me wonder if kava wine is a thing. I ain't doing it, but someone must. Off to google I go!
It's not. First alcohol and kava is a very bad mixture. Second, there are much less expensive sources of fermentable carbohydrates, such as fruits and grains.

verticity

I'm interested in things
This makes me wonder if kava wine is a thing. I ain't doing it, but someone must. Off to google I go!
Also, kavalactones have antimycotic activity. That means they kill fungi. They would probably kill yeast also.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I put my kava in the fridge if I have some leftover, and it always stinks up the fridge with this weird sour smell. Anybody know if it's affecting the kava in any way other than smell? Just curious if it's going bad or something
I usually put left over Kava in the fridge overnight in a water bottle type container with a wide mouth cap. I've never noticed my Kava smelling or tasting bad, even if I let it sit in the fridge for a couple days. I will say that Stone tends to have a very strong smell, so if you are brewing up that kava in an open container, it wouldn't surprise me if your fridge smelled funky.

I do find that if I leave Kava root in my Alu Ball overnight near the sink because I'm too lazy to clean it up, it stinks something awful. I suspect this is just the natural decomposition processes taking place.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I've kept prepared kava in the fridge for up to three days. Didn't notice any strange smell and the affects were still on par.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Hey guys, by the way, thought I'd chime in on this topic. A couple days ago I had some micronized that had been sitting in water in the fridge for like 5 weeks or so (I had forgotten about it). Aside from some gas and a really funky taste, I was fine, no ill effects. I'm guessing the gas was from the extracted starches after it had been sitting for so long...

So, if you have that old kava in the fridge, as long as it's been sealed, light some incense and go for it. ;)