What's new

What does "wichmannii" mean?

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Wild kava - the ancestor of kava is called piper wichmanni wichmannii. What does "wichmanni" "wichmannii" mean? Does it come from the surname Wichmann? If so, who was he?

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Wild kava - the ancestor of kava is called piper wichmanni. What does "wichmanni" mean? Does it come from the surname Wichmann? If so, who was he?
This is a good question and all I can find out so far is that wichmannii was described first by a person named De Candolle.
This happened in 1910. Methysticum was 1st described by Forster in 1786. Interesting since wichmannii is considered
kava's Mom as stated by Lebot et. al.--"As P. methysticum ,as described first (Forster 1786), it has priority, and De Candolle's P. wichmannii (1910) is superfluous".

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wild kava - the ancestor of kava is called piper wichmanni. What does "wichmanni" mean? Does it come from the surname Wichmann? If so, who was he?
The Taxon name "Piper wichmannii" was authored by the Swiss botanist Casimir de Candolle in 1910.

However, I can't seem to find the root of what wichmannii might mean.

Applequist, Wendy L., and Vincent Lebot. 2006. “Validation of Piper Methysticum Var. Wichmannii (Piperaceae).” Novon, no. 16: 3–4. https://doi.org/10.3417/1055-3177(2006)16[3:VOPMVW]2.0.CO;2.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is a good question and all I can find out so far is that wichmannii was described first by a person named De Candolle.
This happened in 1910. Methysticum was 1st described by Forster in 1786. Interesting since wichmannii is considered
kava's Mom as stated by Lebot et. al.--"As P. methysticum ,as described first (Forster 1786), it has priority, and De Candolle's P. wichmannii (1910) is superfluous".
Ahhh, you beat me to it! lol

For real, you would think there would be more information regarding the naming of P. wichmannii like there is for P. methysticum

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Ahhh, you beat me to it! lol

For real, you would think there would be more information regarding the naming of P. wichmannii like there is for P. methysticum
The even odder thing is that De Candolle was dead by 1910! So maybe that means he collected wichmannii and placed in in an herbarium and it was named later in 1910?? I cross referenced and it was definitely 1910 not 1810 so strange!!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The even odder thing is that De Candolle was dead by 1910! So maybe that means he collected wichmannii and placed in in an herbarium and it was named later in 1910?? I cross referenced and it was definitely 1910 not 1810 so strange!!
I emailed Lebot about this. Let's see what he has to say. Seriously I'm stumped as to where this came from, nor have I ever seen an explanation in literature.

Szafirek

Kava Curious
I emailed Lebot about this. Let's see what he has to say. Seriously I'm stumped as to where this came from, nor have I ever seen an explanation in literature.
I didn’t expect my question to reach Vincent Lebot :)

Alphonse de Candolle was already dead but his son Casimir de Candolle lived. He was a botanist too, interested in the family Piperaceae

I can see that I have missed one "i". Should be "wichmannii".
So maybe not from the surname.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That's the beauty of our little community here. Where other herbs and traditional intoxicants are mired in opinions, we aim to give answers straight from, or as close to the source as possible. The more familiar we feel with kava, the information, and those researchers that bring us that information, the better off we are as a community.

When we shine the light of awareness on kava it leaves little room in the shadows for misinformation.

I look forward to Lebot's response because I've scoured all of my academic sources for information and found none.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

Alphonse de Candolle was already dead but his son Casimir de Candolle lived. He was a botanist too, interested in the family Piperaceae

I can see that I have missed one "i". Should be "wichmannii".
So maybe not from the surname.
Well then maybe it was the son, he died in 1918.
I sure did not find the son until you mentioned it.
Still wonder why "Wichman"?? for wichmannii?
Vincent Lebot will definitely shed some light.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Mr. Louze of Kava-world.com stepped in and uncovered the answer!

"The species name Piper wichmannii was first assigned in 1910, by botanist Charles De Candolle, to a specimen collection during Wichmann's German expedition in 1903 who's mission was to identify the species of the Piperaceae family"

Siméoni Patricia, Lebot, V. (2014). Buveurs de Kava. Géo-consulte.

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Mr. Louze of Kava-world.com stepped in and uncovered the answer!

"The species name Piper wichmannii was first assigned in 1910, by botanist Charles De Candolle, to a specimen collection during Wichmann's German expedition in 1903 who's mission was to identify the species of the Piperaceae family"

Siméoni Patricia, Lebot, V. (2014). Buveurs de Kava. Géo-consulte.
So the mystery is unraveled!

There are indeed many species connected to Wichmann