What's new

Kava Culture Vanuatu 2015

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Soon enough you'll be replacing that pocket size 500ml plastik with the 1.5litre one..
When you took the bus did you see the Tanna nakamal on the road to Mele, about half way on the right, bamboo fence? Best kava in Vila...

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Soon enough you'll be replacing that pocket size 500ml plastik with the 1.5litre one..
When you took the bus did you see the Tanna nakamal on the road to Mele, about half way on the right, bamboo fence? Best kava in Vila...
Didn't notice it, might head that way again, I'll keep an eye out. I have a hard time differentiating what's what here.

Also @nabanga , a bus driver told me Binihi nakamal didn't survive the cyclone, I guess I won't be trying that Pentecost stone ground :/

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Update: only added a few pics for day 3 in the original post. Hit the pic allowance there.

Started day 4 in another post of mine on the first page, but the service is acting up now and not uploading. I'll try again after kava tonight.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Update: only added a few pics for day 3 in the original post. Hit the pic allowance there.

Started day 4 in another post of mine on the first page, but the service is acting up now and not uploading. I'll try again after kava tonight.
Hey man, thanks for posting these pictures, I personally like to see them but can you do something else for us, can you drink a few shells of fresh noble Vanuatu kava for each of us here on the forums? :hungry::hungry::hungry::sleep::dead:
Aloha.

Chris

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
*update* finally posted pics from day 4 on another post in the first page.
After hours of sluggish uploading, I realized I needed to download an image resizer on my phone.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
*update* finally posted pics from day 4 on another post in the first page.
After hours of sluggish uploading, I realized I needed to download an image resizer on my phone.
I'm mostly interested in knowing if you're having a good time? Kavapig wanted to buy a home there. If you could, would you?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I'm mostly interested in knowing if you're having a good time? Kavapig wanted to buy a home there. If you could, would you?
Good time yes, but rushed and somewhat nerve wracking to do alone for the first time. I've been fighting being sick but finally lost the battle yesterday...got a head cold or sinus infection or something. Luckily I was able to postpone my flight to Tanna til tomorrow, in hopes that I don't feel as bad by then. Not good to fly in that condition. Now that I'm starting to get a hang of the place, I could totally live here. I went by Cate blanchettes house on the other side of the island a few days ago. If it's good enough for cate Blanchette than its good enough for me, that's what I always say. Ok, I don't, but it really is great here. Where ever I go, be it small villages, busy city, dark slummy looking streets, everyone is friendly, helpful and willing to walk me to a nakamal and ask me about where I'm from.

The kava always hits the spot, unlike when I drink at home, I even had a gnarly one last night that I figured must be 245xxx or 254xxx ... It was heavy and had me completely doped up feeling. It was the first time I couldn't finish my whole bottle here. Even then, I didn't wake up feeling any residual effect. But then again, I was sick as shit to start with so it was hard to tell.

I'm back in PV staying in this little studio/bungalow with bed, kitchen , bath on the hill above the lagoon. I could stay here a long time. Look up trade winds, port Vila. If I want a restaurant / bar, there are resorts just a couple mins away in either direction.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Can't update with more pics yet, but probably just had the ultimate kava pilgrimage experience. Got walked down a dark jungle trail at night to a village by the bay. My guide took me to a hut that sells fresh roots and then walked me to the area where they shave the skins off the root. He chewed it up, spit it into a leaf and headed over to the squeezing area. Two guys twist the masticated root in a sack over the shell with some water.
Then it's yours to chug amoung the sounds of jungle insects, a crackling fire, more stars than I've ever seen and kava heads everywhere. There was even another foreigner down there, which was a surprise. French New Caledonian, he seemed equally as interested to see me. Words can't describe it really. Also watched the volcano thunderously explode. Tanna is wild.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just a few pics here, until I make a complete update.
*edit - full Tanna update here

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Beautiful pictures. When I look at that first batch of pictures, I break into song, "Blue Skies nothin' but Blue Skies from now on". Awesome scenery.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@sɥɐʞɐs Seriously, thank you so much for posting these. Absolutely breathtaking. I've always so badly wanted to listen to the volcano rumbling in the background. Awesome awesome stuff.

Crunked

Proselytizer
@sɥɐʞɐs Seriously, thank you so much for posting these. Absolutely breathtaking. I've always so badly wanted to listen to the volcano rumbling in the background. Awesome awesome stuff.
I can verify that the noise from the edge of the Tanna volcano is amazing, breathtaking and a little scary. ::jawdrop2::

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
@shakas -- You da man!!! I can't tell you how much I envy you. What a beautiful place -- I'd love to get there someday.
Maybe it's just me, but I really feel the peaceful vibe of that place just by looking at the images.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Sorry guys, meant to finish up the postings today but had to leave for the weekend before I could. Maybe tomorrow night or Monday.
How was the language barrier? Pick up some Bislama, were you able to talk to most people?
The language barrier was pretty strong from my perspective, however, even on Tanna which is much more traditional and natural, I was still able to pull off simple conversation with most people. There's always times where neither of us are quite sure what each other are saying though. I actually found many of the French speaking visitors less capable of speaking English. Personally, I wish I could speak it all. It actually felt quite isolating not to have any full english conversations for ~two weeks, especially since I traveled alone.
Hearing Bislama in full swing sounded like complete incomprehensible gibberish to me. In my experience, Polynesian speakers sound more familiar to my ears than Melanesian.