What's new

Kava Preparation Tried micro, now on to kneading

Hello everyone. Came across kava and this forum a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try. I first started with micronized because it seemed like a no-brainer, quick prep and done. Well, it was too harsh on my stomach so I am trying medium grind. It came out viscous and slippery, like oil or cough syrup consistency.

I used the quick method - hot soak, blender, filter, chill. I used one set of instructions here which the kava and water portions were in like with the KwK instructions. I was making enough for multiple drinks. I used a rounded 2 tbs per 1 cup of water which ended up being 7 tbs for 3 cups of water. However the kava almost filled a 1/2 cup so maybe it was close to 8 tbs plus I add a little extra water about 1/4 cup.

Steps I used:
Put 1/4 room temp water in blender, add dry kava on top
Measure out 3 cups of hot (i would guess 200f / 94c) and pour in blender
Turn blender to 'stir' for a few seconds just to get mingle
Let sit for 25 minutes, then blended for 2 minutes on the lowest 'stir' setting
Pour into bag that is sitting in large bowl. I used KmK synthetic 100 micron bag.

First off it was hot to handle so it took a awhile to squeeze out. Hands were covered with the thick kava ooze (forgot to put on gloves)
The resulting soup was smooth. I did not see any obvious soot or debris. But it was very thick. I added a lot of ice and melted it down then added almost 2 cups water and then added a little more ice. It's still quite viscous compared to water.

Is this normal or did I goof with the measurements and/or technique?

Thanks and have a great day.

EmeraldKava3690

Kava Curious
I have only been preparing Kava by the traditional method for a couple weeks, but my Kava has never come out slippery and like cough-syrup like you says yours did, nor did it come served that way at either of the two Kava bars I have frequented multiple times. After quickly looking at your measurements [I am not the greatest at measurements, myself], I would say you definitely used too much Kava. I usually use about 3-4 tablespoons and about 2-3 cups of water, as opposed to the 7 tablespoons you used with about 3 cups of water. Perhaps at this point it becomes viscous, though I can't imagine it. Not a connoisseur at preparation but that is just how I prepare from my limited preparation and I prepare a serving at a time. Maybe this helps a little.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Hot water seems to thicken up the liquid. I only use room temperature water and it comes out strong but not thick and starchy. I use a pretty high kava:water ratio, 2-3 tbsp per cup.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hello everyone. Came across kava and this forum a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try. I first started with micronized because it seemed like a no-brainer, quick prep and done. Well, it was too harsh on my stomach so I am trying medium grind. It came out viscous and slippery, like oil or cough syrup consistency.

I used the quick method - hot soak, blender, filter, chill. I used one set of instructions here which the kava and water portions were in like with the KwK instructions. I was making enough for multiple drinks. I used a rounded 2 tbs per 1 cup of water which ended up being 7 tbs for 3 cups of water. However the kava almost filled a 1/2 cup so maybe it was close to 8 tbs plus I add a little extra water about 1/4 cup.

Steps I used:
Put 1/4 room temp water in blender, add dry kava on top
Measure out 3 cups of hot (i would guess 200f / 94c) and pour in blender
Turn blender to 'stir' for a few seconds just to get mingle
Let sit for 25 minutes, then blended for 2 minutes on the lowest 'stir' setting
Pour into bag that is sitting in large bowl. I used KmK synthetic 100 micron bag.

First off it was hot to handle so it took a awhile to squeeze out. Hands were covered with the thick kava ooze (forgot to put on gloves)
The resulting soup was smooth. I did not see any obvious soot or debris. But it was very thick. I added a lot of ice and melted it down then added almost 2 cups water and then added a little more ice. It's still quite viscous compared to water.

Is this normal or did I goof with the measurements and/or technique?

Thanks and have a great day.
Super hot near boiling water will turn the starch in kava into a sludge. Most folks if they use a "hot" water method keep it to below 120F or so. You will get plenty of extra extraction out of water that is 100-120F no need to go that hot. Also note that the use of hot water will make your kava taste a lot more bitter.

Thanks everyone. I've tried just that and has worked well. Just a little bit after work 2tbs soaked in a couple ounces of warm water for 5 min, added 12oz room temp water and blended for 4 minutes. Did the some tonight except I used 3tbs and it was very easy to strain through the bag.