What's new

The subtlety of kava

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
I suspect alot of newbies mistakenly quickly dismiss kava's incredible benefits due to its subtlety. They go in expecting a high or strong tranquilization when the beauty IMO of kava is it's subtlety. It relaxes w/out impairing or intoxifying.

Opinions?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I suspect alot of newbies mistakenly quickly dismiss kava's incredible benefits due to its subtlety. They go in expecting a high or strong tranquilization when the beauty IMO of kava is it's subtlety. It relaxes w/out impairing or intoxifying.

Opinions?

I think I know what you mean, but I am not sure if "subtle" would be the best word to describe it. Sure, there are some kavas that can be called "subtle", but there are also some noble kavas that have pronounced effects. The thing is that kava is different to other psychoactive substances in the sense that one needs to "listen" to it, in order to fully enjoy it. It's not like downing a bottle of rum and then being completely overpowered by the intoxication. Kava can be very powerful and effective, but requires what @Deleted User rightly calls "mental cooperation". If you don't want to feel kava, you can force yourself to shake it off (unless it's a VERY strong mix). At the same time, you can have a far more pleasant and full session by making sure you drink your kava in the right environment.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
@Henry Mahakea - 3 tbsp/24 oz of water. 4 tbsp/24 oz of moi did me in yesterday. I gave my weekend to kava with no success. This stuff is rough.
So, do you mean that you don't like kava or that it has not been able to offer you what you've been looking for?
"being bedridden" after a few tbs of micro sounds like you are very sensitive.. I had 25-30g of micro last night, slept only 5h and yet I feel super fresh today.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
So, do you mean that you don't like kava or that it has not been able to offer you what you've been looking for?
@Henry
"being bedridden" after a few tbs of micro sounds like you are very sensitive.. I had 25-30g of micro last night, slept only 5h and yet I feel super fresh today.
I am ill. Only nausea and dizziness today.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Well,next time try my anti nausea tea recipe. (It is in the kava recipe section). But perhaps kava is just not for you.

Have you ever tried making some kava from medium grind powder? Many people say it is more gentle on the stomach

simonsezso37

Kava Curious
I somewhat agree with you, @KeepOnKrunkin' . While I do see the subtleness of kava, it also can have some pretty pronounced and noticeable effects. I wouldn't really call kava subtle, but if you aren't in the right mindset and setting for it, you could possibly miss some of the effects from it. One needs to listen to kava and react with it, not try to get a certain effect from it, as it can feel slightly different each time one takes it.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
@Pacifico, sounds like maybe you had too much too fast. I've been known to push the envelope, and every time I do too much in a short amount of time, the positive effects are nonexistent and I get nauseous and just lay down. Last time I did two and a half rounded tablespoons of micro mo'i at once, I realized it would have worked out a heck of a lot better with a level tablespoon every 15-20 minutes.. Too much too fast makes me I'll with little to no pleasant effects. Every.single.time. also if I consume too much early on in the day at work, under bright lights and loud noise in the kitchen, all the while working frantically, all I feel is the diuretic fuzzy, crummy feelings, and the loud noises tick me off. I can only drink small amounts during the day, or I feel like crap every time. I have to be in chill mode, or just take a very small dose, if it's daytime

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
@Pacifico, sounds like maybe you had too much too fast. I've been known to push the envelope, and every time I do too much in a short amount of time, the positive effects are nonexistent and I get nauseous and just lay down. Last time I did two and a half rounded tablespoons of micro mo'i at once, I realized it would have worked out a heck of a lot better with a level tablespoon every 15-20 minutes.. Too much too fast makes me I'll with little to no pleasant effects. Every.single.time. also if I consume too much early on in the day at work, under bright lights and loud noise in the kitchen, all the while working frantically, all I feel is the diuretic fuzzy, crummy feelings, and the loud noises tick me off. I can only drink small amounts during the day, or I feel like crap every time. I have to be in chill mode, or just take a very small dose, if it's daytime
Thanks for describing your experiences like that. I can tell you this much: I hope that I am a happy lightweight. How long does a half-pound bag of micro last you if you only have to use seven teaspoons a week? I want to be that lucky bastard.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
A pound of medium grind would last me two weeks, if I drink every night. A half pound of micro would last me 10-12 days, because I drink more. It's too easy to walk by the bag and just take a spoonful, compared to kneading a batch. I have to keep the bag out of sight, or I'd dip into it two or three times a day.

If I had to guess, I bet micro isn't twice as strong, but it's darn close. Medium grind lasts longer, because I gotta want it enough to make a batch. Also my session ends if I drink all the prepared grog until it's gone. With micro, I can always just take a spoonful more. The convenience factor makes me run out faster

exit stage left
I read somewhere on this forum about "listening to the kava". I tried to do that yesterday, and I think some combination of that, good quality kava, and being over reverse tolerance led to a very pleasant experience. I wouldn't have called it subtle, some of the effects were quite pronounced, but unlike with alcohol, I was clearheaded. I walked to the grocery store with no problems.

It doesn't take much med grind. I'm trying to settle into an evening routie.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I read somewhere on this forum about "listening to the kava". I tried to do that yesterday, and I think some combination of that, good quality kava, and being over reverse tolerance led to a very pleasant experience. I wouldn't have called it subtle, some of the effects were quite pronounced, but unlike with alcohol, I was clearheaded. I walked to the grocery store with no problems.

It doesn't take much med grind. I'm trying to settle into an evening routie.
Great, Schmedward, the hard work is over for you, then. Now it's all "what kind of happy do I want tonight?"