What's new

The Hawaii 'Awa Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI everyone, I had a question the other day about the Hawaii Awa Council and what it was and what they do. In this article I will tell you folks all about it and show you all some history of the Hawaii Awa Council.

First of all there was not always the Hawaii Awa Council (HAC), before the HAC there was the Association for Hawaiian Awa, this association still exists till today.
The problem was that back in the 1990's there were a lot of kava farms popping up and they all looked to the Association for Hawaiian Awa (AHA) for guidance and to help solve there problems with farming 'Awa

Since AHA was not made to take care of these thing, the HAC was created.
AHA was great and did so much for the awa community and they still do, in fact they are more active than HAC, they even made newsletters like this one-------
AHA News letter 001.jpg

Inside the newsletters they would have a full color picture of a Hawaiian awa like this one--------------

Awa picture from AHA news letter 001.jpg

I always looked forward to that, they were great photos and the newsletters had a lot of great information but there was a need for a larger organization, so there was a meeting to decide certain things and vote for officers and this picture shows the results.-----------------

HAC 001.jpg

I was voted in as a 2 year Director at large and I did not even know it till a few days later. I was not able to make the meeting and I was happy to help as a director at large.
Out of all of this it was decided that this newly formed organization would be called the Hawaii Awa Council. The HAC made flyers to promote the newly formed origination and Hawaiian Awa.------

Hawaii Awa Council 1 001.jpg

Hawaii Awa Council 2 001.jpg

HAC also had meetings and made By Laws------

HAC By laws 001.jpg

It was not long at all before I was voted in as President of the HAC------

Awa task force 1 001.jpg

Part of the goals of the HAC was education, and to that end we sponsored several International Awa Conference's. -------

Experts in the field came and gave a lot of great information and help for the farmers, experts like Dr Lebot, Chris Kilham and many scientist from UH and other institutions came to give there help and talk about new research.
I also took part in education of growing and processing awa and other aspects of awa. I tought at the Hawaiian immersion school in Keaau called "Ke Kula ‘o Nāwahīokalani‘ōpu‘u Iki"
In this school they speak only the Hawaiian language. I tought the kids about Hawaiian Awa and how to identify each variety and how to grow and process the kava. One of the experiments that we did at that school was to grow awa hydroponically and it took several tries but eventually the students found a way to do it. Here is a picture of the kids taking measurements and other information with the Hydroponic experiment.--------

Here I am talking to the kids about processing the awa into powder--------

I also would go into the forests and valleys to find new varieties of Hawaiian Awa.
There was a point in time where there was a lot of the Hawaiian awa in the wild that was being stolen and poached in massive amounts. Because of this problem HAC started a Task Force to try to stop the problem, we had numerous meetings and we finally implemented the idea of putting microchips into the wild awa, see the minutes of the meeting here------

This approach to the problem worked very well and the poaching stopped almost completely.
Not too long after this is when the world had the so called Kava scare and this is when the kava ban started. Once the kava ban started the poaching stopped all together and for the most part so did the awa market in Hawaii, we saw prices go down and contracts broken and suddenly there was no demand for kava. Farmers who once grew kava moved to other crops. There were only a few kava farmers that kept going, among them are Puu O Hoku Ranch, Maui Kava (recently retired) me and a few others.
Since there was no real need or interest in the HAC it became defunct, I was still president when this happened and I still provide educational information and farm help when needed, I do this as the President of HAC and if the need ever comes back then the HAC will be fully functioning again.
This is just a summery and it is not detailed at all but I figured it will answer any questions about the HAC.
Aloha.

Chris

Attachments

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
This is the first time I made a post using the upload file option, I was hoping that each picture would go after the sentence explaining it. Sorry.

Chris

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Since there was no real need or interest in the HAC it became defunct, I was still president when this happened and I still provide educational information and farm help when needed, I do this as the President of HAC and if the need ever comes back then the HAC will be fully functioning again.
It would be nice if you got it going again, assuming you have the time.

D

Deleted User01

Thanks for the update on the Awa Council. I guess once you got the Kava rustling under control, everyone went back to working on their farms.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Oh, cool. I was under the impression this is something still active that you worked on. Yeah, supportive kava organizations would be great!

D

Deleted User01

Isn't the American Kava Association a supportive organization too? I went into this forum at the AKA website to do a meet and greet but everything was in Chinese. Either that or I need the special decoding glasses that only members get. In reality, the Kava Forums is the number 1 Kava support organization in the world and @Kapmcrunk and his minions do an excellent job of providing support and protecting us from bad kava.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Isn't the American Kava Association a supportive organization too? I went into this forum at the AKA website to do a meet and greet but everything was in Chinese. Either that or I need the special decoding glasses that only members get. In reality, the Kava Forums is the number 1 Kava support organization in the world and @Kapmcrunk and his minions do an excellent job of providing support and protecting us from bad kava.
Ha, yeah I guess the forum over there at the AKA isn't really in operation yet. This one definitely fills that hole!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
HI everyone, I had a question the other day about the Hawaii Awa Council and what it was and what they do. In this article I will tell you folks all about it and show you all some history of the Hawaii Awa Council.

First of all there was not always the Hawaii Awa Council (HAC), before the HAC there was the Association for Hawaiian Awa, this association still exists till today.
The problem was that back in the 1990's there were a lot of kava farms popping up and they all looked to the Association for Hawaiian Awa (AHA) for guidance and to help solve there problems with farming 'Awa

Since AHA was not made to take care of these thing, the HAC was created.
AHA was great and did so much for the awa community and they still do, in fact they are more active than HAC, they even made newsletters like this one-------
View attachment 8078

Inside the newsletters they would have a full color picture of a Hawaiian awa like this one--------------

View attachment 8079
I always looked forward to that, they were great photos and the newsletters had a lot of great information but there was a need for a larger organization, so there was a meeting to decide certain things and vote for officers and this picture shows the results.-----------------

View attachment 8080

I was voted in as a 2 year Director at large and I did not even know it till a few days later. I was not able to make the meeting and I was happy to help as a director at large.
Out of all of this it was decided that this newly formed organization would be called the Hawaii Awa Council. The HAC made flyers to promote the newly formed origination and Hawaiian Awa.------

View attachment 8081

View attachment 8082

HAC also had meetings and made By Laws------

View attachment 8083

It was not long at all before I was voted in as President of the HAC------

View attachment 8090

Part of the goals of the HAC was education, and to that end we sponsored several International Awa Conference's. -------

Experts in the field came and gave a lot of great information and help for the farmers, experts like Dr Lebot, Chris Kilham and many scientist from UH and other institutions came to give there help and talk about new research.
I also took part in education of growing and processing awa and other aspects of awa. I tought at the Hawaiian immersion school in Keaau called "Ke Kula ‘o Nāwahīokalani‘ōpu‘u Iki"
In this school they speak only the Hawaiian language. I tought the kids about Hawaiian Awa and how to identify each variety and how to grow and process the kava. One of the experiments that we did at that school was to grow awa hydroponically and it took several tries but eventually the students found a way to do it. Here is a picture of the kids taking measurements and other information with the Hydroponic experiment.--------

Here I am talking to the kids about processing the awa into powder--------

I also would go into the forests and valleys to find new varieties of Hawaiian Awa.
There was a point in time where there was a lot of the Hawaiian awa in the wild that was being stolen and poached in massive amounts. Because of this problem HAC started a Task Force to try to stop the problem, we had numerous meetings and we finally implemented the idea of putting microchips into the wild awa, see the minutes of the meeting here------

This approach to the problem worked very well and the poaching stopped almost completely.
Not too long after this is when the world had the so called Kava scare and this is when the kava ban started. Once the kava ban started the poaching stopped all together and for the most part so did the awa market in Hawaii, we saw prices go down and contracts broken and suddenly there was no demand for kava. Farmers who once grew kava moved to other crops. There were only a few kava farmers that kept going, among them are Puu O Hoku Ranch, Maui Kava (recently retired) me and a few others.
This is just a summery and it is not detailed at all but I figured it will answer any questions about the HAC.
Aloha.

Chris
This sure brings back memories Chris, thanks for posting. Under the HAC Flyer you posted there is a picture of the late-Genesis Leeloy, such a fine person. And that photo of the guy with the upraised left hand?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
This sure brings back memories Chris, thanks for posting. Under the HAC Flyer you posted there is a picture of the late-Genesis Leeloy, such a fine person. And that photo of the guy with the upraised left hand?
Hi @Alia, I figured you would like this post, Genesis Leeloy was a great person and he did a lot to help further the Hawaiian 'Awa cause, he is one Kupuna that I really miss. Ya who is that good looking guy holding up his left hand? He looks familiar. :ROFLMAO:
Hay everyone, the 3 guys in that picture have done more for Hawaiian kava than anyone else I know of, maybe 2 others come to mind that were also in that group but not in the picture, one is Jeri Ooka and then of course Dr. Lebot. So many other people behind the scene's too.
A special thanks to all of them. Aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Oh, cool. I was under the impression this is something still active that you worked on. Yeah, supportive kava organizations would be great!
@Bula Kava House , HAC is inactive as an organization but I am still active in the education and farming help, I am keeping HAC alive until it is needed again in a more active way. There is still not enough awa farmers here in Hawaii, there is room for more. Did you ever think about moving to Hawaii and starting a kava farm? We really need more kava farmers.
I know one vendor who has been here to do that very thing and we still need more. I can count all the kava farmers here on 2 hands and that is not good in my book, we used to have many many more before the kava ban. If things got back to where HAC is needed in more of an active roll then I will bring it back to life. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Sign me up Boss. I already got Ornamental Kavas spreading in my back yard. Fool's Gold they call it. I'm ready for the good stuff now. Chris, if the State of Hawaii took an interest in Kava being a cultural "Ethnobotanical Treasure", then you might even get funding for startups. Then you could show them your Kung Fu. I'd be really surprised if an entrepreneur like Judd didn't jump on that kind of opportunity and he could learn from the master.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Bula Kava House , HAC is inactive as an organization but I am still active in the education and farming help, I am keeping HAC alive until it is needed again in a more active way. There is still not enough awa farmers here in Hawaii, there is room for more. Did you ever think about moving to Hawaii and starting a kava farm? We really need more kava farmers.
I know one vendor who has been here to do that very thing and we still need more. I can count all the kava farmers here on 2 hands and that is not good in my book, we used to have many many more before the kava ban. If things got back to where HAC is needed in more of an active roll then I will bring it back to life. Aloha.

Chris
Interesting...

Yeah, I've kicked around the idea of starting a farm. Honestly though, I think I'll leave farming to farmers. Running a busy online store and a kava bar doesn't leave a whole lot of time for weeding, pest control, tending a nursery, harvesting, cleaning, drying, packaging, etc. etc. on a farm that would be large enough to meet our level of demand.

If I were to pursue something it would be more like a partnership with a farm. Something we already do in other kava growing regions, with real kava experts. I was actually close to an agreement with a Big Island farmer to do such a partnership, but that got put on hold. It might end up coming through someday though.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Interesting...

Yeah, I've kicked around the idea of starting a farm. Honestly though, I think I'll leave farming to farmers. Running a busy online store and a kava bar doesn't leave a whole lot of time for weeding, pest control, tending a nursery, harvesting, cleaning, drying, packaging, etc. etc. on a farm that would be large enough to meet our level of demand.

If I were to pursue something it would be more like a partnership with a farm. Something we already do in other kava growing regions, with real kava experts. I was actually close to an agreement with a Big Island farmer to do such a partnership, but that got put on hold. It might end up coming through someday though.
I love growing kava, even the smell in the air when you walk through the kava patch is great. It does take a lot of work and I don't do it by myself. It does take a lot of work but it can be done.
Another example is a friend of mine that used to grow kava here in Hawaii up until just after the kava ban, he had a company that grew and processed kava and sold to the German market, this company was Agrinom LLC. The manager, Mathew Archibald, managed the production of Kava for the German pharmaceutical market. He designed and built the first automated continuous flow processing facility for the production of extract grade kava for the pharmaceutical market in Europe. This facility automatically washed, dried, milled and packaged 1000 lbs per hour of wet kava root with a single operator. He also managed over 60 acres of kava. He would also oversee maintenance and harvesting of the 'Awa. At one time, total production levels reached 50,000 lbs per month of high grade, dry kava root all from their own 'Awa fields.

Some of my equipment and techniques are the same as his, he was a great guy too, I remember when we used to go digging for antique Hawaiian bottles on his property on the side of the kava fields. This was an area that used to be the site of an old sugar plantation camp and that is why there is old Hawaiian bottles to be found.
It would be great if you could grow some kava in Hawaii but I know a business like yours must be busy like you said.

Chris

Last edited:

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I love growing kava, even the smell in the air when you walk through the kava patch is great. It does take a lot of work and I don't do it by myself. I have 4 workers that help me as well as family and friends from "small kid time" for example I have several farms in different areas not just in one place one of them is a 10 acre farm in Paauilo and a friend of mine takes care of it along with his 4 kids and wife. My farms are a family thing, I consider these people family and they feel the same.
My wife, daughter and 2 brothers also help along with my older brothers 3 sons. It does take a lot of work but it can be done.
Another example is a friend of mine that used to grow kava here in Hawaii up until just after the kava ban, he had a company that grew and processed kava and sold to the German market, this company was Agrinom LLC. The manager, Mathew Archibald, managed the production of Kava for the German pharmaceutical market. He designed and built the first automated continuous flow processing facility for the production of extract grade kava for the pharmaceutical market in Europe. This facility automatically washed, dried, milled and packaged 1000 lbs per hour of wet kava root with a single operator. He also managed over 60 acres of kava. He would also oversee maintenance and harvesting of the 'Awa. At one time, total production levels reached 50,000 lbs per month of high grade, dry kava root all from their own 'Awa fields.

Some of my equipment and techniques are the same as his, he was a great guy too, I remember when we used to go digging for antique Hawaiian bottles on his property on the side of the kava fields. This was an area that used to be the site of an old sugar plantation camp and that is why there is old Hawaiian bottles to be found.
It would be great if you could grow some kava in Hawaii but I know a business like yours must be busy like you said.

Chris
I've heard of that Kava processing machine before! Awesome!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
That is awesome. And you're processing in a similar way, @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava? I'd love to see that in action! Sounds like you could get a pretty good YouTube channel going with mass processing and farm tour videos.

kavabala

Kava Curious

Chris
How many acres is your farm?!? Plots of land seem quite expensive. Do you think the soil is fertile for kava anywhere or any any island in Hawaii?
Looking at the prices of land, I can't imagine charging less for Hawaiian awa than you.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.