What's new

Straining question

kl.CharlieE1992

Kava Curious
Whenever I drink my Kava I end up having quite a bit of nausea which isn't nice, especially since I'm still trying to get into the whole kava drinking stuff.

I have Boroguru aswell as a fijian strainer and I've noticed after I'm done straining there's still a lot of Kava root that has managed to get through the strainer. I've seen a few people mention that getting rid of that by filtering it again and again until it's gone helps the nausea quite a bit... but I've also read that stuff is what will get you krunk.

Should I be filtering it all out until it's completely gone or be leaving it in there? Is there any other things I can do to help the nausea? Eating helps a bit, but not fully. I think I have a pretty weak stomach as I do get nausea more easily than others with certain things.

Cheers

jkw

Kava Curious
How recently did you get your Boroguru, and is the strainer from BKH as well? I ask because older boroguru was a very fine grind and hard to strain, and also I find that the BKH strainer isn't perhaps as fine a mesh as the one I got from Paradise Kava.

The new boroguru is a much coarser grind and with the paradise strainer works well for me. That said, I think having some root sediment in your brew is going to be inevitable. You can also experiment with other types of strainers.. muslin, t-shirt, nylon stockings etc.

If you can afford it, the paradise extracts obviously avoid the issue completely, but are high kavain and don't have the same body melting aspect that boroguru has.

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
You might try using knee high womens stockings. Both those and an old tshirt having given me virtually no root trace left in my drink (aside from some tiny bits of sediment that stays at the bottom of my glass.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
As a person that regularly toss n washes, I can assure you a little particulate in your brew wont make too much of a difference and is nothing to be too concerned with.

kl.CharlieE1992

Kava Curious
Bit of a late reply sorry folks.

JKW - I've got the newest grind of the Boroguru I believe, it wasn't too long ago that I ordered it. And yeah I've heard there are finer strainers floating about from different vendors.

I'm actually after the body melting effect that Boroguru gives as I'm using Kava for some unfortunate muscular issues that I'm dealing with - so I'll stick with it and keep trying. I'll be sure to give some different strainers a shot and see how it goes.

Another thing which is bothering me as does everyone is the taste. It's especially annoying for me though because once I've got it down me, I get really gassy which leads to me burping a hell of a lot and the taste comes back to me which isn't nice. So once it's all down the hatch, it keeps coming back up on me, bit hard to explain, I must have some sort of problem because I always get it when I eat and drink although it seems to be worse with Kava.

I'm gonna keep trying with the whole Kava thing and I'm sure I'll get there at somepoint. I'm also looking at how to make some of my Boroguru into an instant powder, maybe this will help me as I won't have to drink as much and I'll hopefully be able to make it taste better.

Cheers guys.