What's new

spinal fusion post-op kava selection, plus questions

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I''m six weeks post-op from a spinal fusion surgery. I'm dealing with some tight muscles, mild to moderate pain that's rather constant, and worse in the evenings, along with some restless legs, which will hopefully be a temporary problem The hardest part seems to be depression associated with the recovery process. I have always been very active, and now I have limitations for another month and a half, including not being able to pick up my one year old son.

Also anybody know about possible safety concerns with regular kava consumption post surgery? I'm 30 years young, with no other health problems. I got xrays yesterday and doc says i'm healing perfectly. But Doc knows nothing about kava. I've abstained for eight weeks now and am considering a boroguru and van3, since fu'u is out. I'm looking for a well balanced root, while slightly leaning heavy on kavain. Any suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

Ps: i'm somewhat of a noob, but taste doesn't matter to me, and i don't really get nauseous either. So i'm open to anything, as long as it's somewhat balanced

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
If you're looking to address muscle issues then I'm not sure a high kavain kava is the way to go, that's the heady stuff, not the body relaxing stuff. Borogoru is a popular choice in the DHM realm, good for muscle relaxation. I might also recommend Chief's Jungle or Stone from Nakamal at Home.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I'd second what Ed said. Boroguru is sort of a middle of the road kava, in my opinion. Chief is a little heavier but not by much. Stone....well stone is stone. Ha.

If you find you need a kava more for the pain than depression you may have to sample an Isa kava of some sort.

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
I second the paradise Fijian it is definitely the most ballanced as well as best tasting kava I have come across( I do not drink kava for taste this is just a bonus) a very high quality root.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
I agree with the boroguru. I have 2 herniated discs that i used to take flexeril and vicodin for, boroguru has replaced this for me. But dont mix kava with prescription muscle relaxers or pain killers. Also keep in mind the reverse tolerance issue, if you have never had kava before it can take some people a couple weeks of drinking to feel the effects, some people its shorter though

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks you guys for the responses, I really need the input. I began with pill extracts about seven years ago, and always felt decent effects from two or three pills. I then stumbled across root powder in several herbal shops, and had pretty good effects at the one ounce range of ingestion. I always tossed and washed, I didn't know there was any other method of preparation. I also didn't know about the empty stomach thing either. But i've always felt it. Sometimes it was instant, almost scary how fast and strong, and clear/energenic. Other times I was couch locked and had to lay down with the lights off, due to mild nausea. I had no clue of all the varieties until now. And yeah, i did the pain medicine and flexeril etc for years. Thank god the surgery seems to be working. And thank god i've been able to taper off. Pk fijian sounds great. So does stone and boruguru, but i'm worried about next day effects. If I mixed a tongan pride or v3 with one of the aboves, would that help the effects be more of a weekday kava? Thanks again everybody

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I've actually never had a hangover with kava. If I drink a ton I'll feel something the next day, but it's hard to call that a hangover. It's just kind of a numbness... no lack of mental sharpness or anything. I don't know if that is consistent with everyone else's experiences.

Mixing is great though. I do it all the time and highly encourage it.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I've never really gotten next day effects accept for with boroguru and those were big sessions. Just give yourself 8 hours of sleep and I'm sure you'll be just fine :)

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Personally I would try the kavas indiviudally before you mix them otherwise you wont be able to tell which kava is giving you a problem if you dont like the mix

krunkedout

Kava Lover
mos3z said:
Personally I would try the kavas indiviudally before you mix them otherwise you wont be able to tell which kava is giving you a problem if you dont like the mix
I agree. And also, you may find that one kava gives you certain effects that help one thing and another kava another. This will allow you to adjust how much you mix. For example, I like having lots of euphoria and audio euphoria, I also like having my muscles melted but not turning me into a couch potato. So I'm having a batch of 4 tablespoons paradise Fijian and 2 tablespoons of bula kava house boroguru :)

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
it has a nice body effect it is also my top favs. but i just tried the pkhawaiian and danm that is a nice kava. even tastes amazing as well. before i started messing with these high quality pk products i never even factored in the taste in wich were my favorites. but they have really got me spoiled.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I actually don't think they taste all that much better than other kavas. Maybe that's because I've only used a 2 tbl per cup ratio instead of the recommended 1tbl per cup