What's new

Powdered Kava Review Special Variety Kava – Damu

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
My reorder was not hypothetical, we tried a half pound of this and after the first prep re-ordered 2 lb.

I found this an excellent kava, encompassing pretty much everything that kava drinking is all about for me.

It is a Fijian, 3/4 waka and 1/4 lawena blend, which is fairly typical for Fijian. In the bag it looks unassumingly typical Fijian. The smell is fairly mild and unremarkable except to say, "gosh, that smells like a typical Fijian kava." Imagine my shock when it prepped up dark and chocolatey grey looking like many Fijian kavas and had the very characteristic bitterness on the tongue just like a Fijian kava, although as Fijians go that taste was on the mild side. Well, there wasn't much shock, to be honest.

Everything about this kava before the effects kick in screams typical Fijian kava, pretty much textbook style, which is fine, I like Fijian kava. And in many ways that's what it is, a really good Fijian kava with all the typical good qualities you want and expect from a Fijian kava.

But that's just the baseline here. There's more. A lot more.

Approximately 90 seconds after chugging the first shell effects kicked in. First I felt a pronounced euphoria at the top of my head. Then I literally felt the muscles in the corner of my mouth turn into a smile, as if the root were directly contracting the muscles. Then a minute later I felt all the muscles of my face enjoy the fluttery caress of a thousand little fairies putting their face up to my skin and giving me butterfly kisses with their eyelids. OK, perhaps I exaggerate a tiny bit, but it's about the closest description I can come up with for what it felt like. With the first 5 minutes came a pronounced euphoria I was not expecting even though I had been warned. Shelling again twenty minutes later I turned to my kava buddy and remarked "abba sibby saba ooba sibby sibsa wazza floo?" She heartily agreed. Like I say, euphoria.

But please understand there was no disappointment as the euphoria wore off gently and it settled in to an extremely comfortable, balanced mellow. This was an exceptionally good balanced mellow, strong without weighing one down at all, heavy without any drowsiness or introspection. We chatted happily and it was great to enjoy this kava with someone who could appreciate it as much as I could and have all my observations confirmed. No, none of this was my imagination, we had the exact same experience with damu. And very very clear headed. Both of us remarked at the contrast between the powerful nature of the experience and the total clear-headedness that came with it. This is a special kava. One I will be carefully rationing for special occasions. Holidays, birthdays, graduations, etc. It's that kind of kava. Very special.

Also of note, with the second round of shells and again the third, we got the brief euphoria again, although those times it lasted 1 or 2 minutes instead of 5 or more, but I was surprised to experience any, as euphoria is something I only feel at the very beginning of a sesh, if at all. Then we spent many happy hours slowly, but steadily, sipping shell after shell after shell of this. Slept great, fantastic dreams, woke up refreshed and feeling fantastic.

Oh, and she said that within two minutes of the first shell all her aches and pains were gone for the duration and did not return until the next morning. So this does rate as an excellent painkilling kava, but it is also so much more than that.

Last edited:

schatz

itchin for kava
This review is spot on, good work. I don't review because I type like a 3rd grader but if I did this is what it would sound like. I have tried many strains in the last 1 1/2 years, and so far this has to be the best so far.

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
Great review. I bought the micronized Damu but had pretty much this same experience. Now that I've gotten my Kava feet wet, I'm gonna hafta buy the powdered and do a traditional prep. This Damu is exactly what I was looking for.
Lil K