What's new

Some More Pictures of Hawaiian 'Awa, kava

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I thought I would post some more pictures of my kava and how I grow it from cuttings. Enjoy.
The first picture is of the bamboo like joint or knuckle on the kava plant, it is this knuckle that we root in moss and then transplant it once it is rooted.-

The next 2 pictures is of the knuckles in the moss, it takes about 1.5-2.5 months to root, depending on the variety, weather conditions and the time of year.-

The next picture is of the rooted knuckle.-

The next picture is of a newly transplanted kava plant, this one is about 4 months old.-

The next picture is of a young kava plant, this one is about 6 months old.-

The next picture is of a older kava plant, this one is about 8 months old.-

The next picture is of a mature kava plant, it is 3 years old, notice my hand, I am pointing to the area of the plant we use. Everything below my hand is what we use for the kava powder, all parts of the kava plant that are above my hand we do not use in the powder, we do use the knuckles to grow more kava plants, the rest goes into the compost pile. Also notice the big lateral roots coming out of the bottom of the kava plant and going into the ground, this is what is referred to in Fiji as Waka, waka it means root in the Fijian language-

The next picture is of the lateral root of the kava plant. Notice the yellow color, it indicates that it is potent and full of kavalactones, this is one way we can tell if the kava is going to be good or not, some growers notice that there kava is not as yellow as mine and wonder why. It is all in the way you grow it. Also notice the star pattern in the root, the thing that makes the star is the hard fibers, this is the stuff we strain out of our kava drink. In between the fibers that make the star is the actual good stuff, the soft starchy content.-

The next pictures are of the lateral root, the first is washed but not peeled, the second is peeled, we take off the outer layer of the bark of the root. The inner bark is kept, it is the strongest part of the kava plant, it has the highest concentration of kavalactones, more than any other part of the plant.-

The next picture is the lateral root after being pounded to a pulp. Not much pulp because I just used a small portion of root.-

Notice in this picture the long flat fiber, this is what made the star pattern in the root.-

The last picture shows the inner bark at the top of the picture, the pulp in the center and the fibers that we throw away at the bottom.
When I make my instant kava from fresh root, I know my instant is strong because of the way I make it. Other instant kava might be different, some are not as strong, or give a lighter effect. I use the pulp and I only add enough water to make it wet so I can extract all the good stuff and separate it from all the fibers we do not want. All the other companies will use a lot more water and then they will dehydrate or spray dry that product, this is in effect a watered down product, this is what makes the quality variations in instant kava. I use less water so I get a better end product, it does take a lot more kava to make than the other guys use, I use about 40 pounds of fresh kava to get 1-2 pounds of dry instant kava. When I am done, I will remove the water and then dry the pulp and then grind that into a very ultra fine powder. By the way, I invented this processing technique of making instant kava from fresh root, I did this before the other guys were even in business, me and the local kava experts over here in Hawaii were enjoying my instant long before it came on the market. I like to contribute to the kava scene and it makes me happy to have started this instant kava product, it has really taken off now.-

I hope you all enjoy the pictures and let me know if you have any questions. Aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I thought I would post some more pictures of my Kava plants. I hope that you folks enjoy them as much as I do.
Aloha nui loa.
Chris

This is a nice big kava plant

More Kava plants. :woot: :woot:

Kava plants right outside my house. :) :)

This is a wild kava plant, this is a big and old plant called Pana'ewa, if you look close you will see me on the left side of the kava patch, boy I look small.

This is a nice 'Awa plant with my good friend Ed, he is a kava expert and the writer of th ebook "Hawaiian 'Awa Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure

This kava is called Mahakea.

This is a picture of some kava being grown hydroponically, this was at a Hawaiian immersion school where I used to teach about kava, they only speak Hawaiian at these immersion schools.

This last picture is not of kava but it is of our mountain "Mauna Kea" we still have snow. :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
awesome pics... i enjoy seeing the process.
I've got some personal questions, if you don't mind... what was your path to kava and kava growing ? did your dad grow kava ? were you born/raised in hawai'i ? did your property already have kava on it or did you plant it all ? could you hike somewhere off the beaten path and secretly plant 100 kava plants every year...and then come back and harvest at your will ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
No problem, Chris. I'm here to help. I also would love to hear your back-story leading to you growing kava.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Shakas, I was born and raised in Hawaii and my family did grow kava, and use kava, I remember my grandmother telling me how she would prepare the kava for her father, those were the good old days. Back then the kava did grow wild and it grew big, larger than a car or a truck, they were very old plants. Now we have to contend with pest and disease, the worst being the Phoma fungus and the cucumber mosaic virus, they are a death sentence for kava.
There are also kava thieves that will steal the kava if they get the chance. They did a good job of decimating the wild kava in most places here in Hawaii, so much so that there was a task force started, it included law enforcement and other state agencies, I was the head of this task force and the thing we did that helped stop the stealing of the kava was to put micro chips in the kava that was growing in the wild, we took the GPS location and other information and we were able to track the stolen kava that way.
If you want to grow kava here you have to plant it and take care of it, it is not like the good old days where you cold plant the kava and then come back at a later time and it would be doing great.
And we have done a lot of studies of kava and what will make it stronger, it is clear that if you do not take care of the kava and feed it with compost and making sure that it is growing well, then you will not get a good potent kava. To give you an idea, we took some kava from the wild, kava that was not taken care of and no compost or other form of soil amendments, this kava was tested at 6.21% total kavalactones and a chemotype of 462531.
We then took a sample of the same variety of kava but we took a sample of my kava, one that was taken care of, the total kavalactones were 15.25% and the chemotype was 463215.
I hope this answers your questions, let me know if you have more. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Those Kava plants are nice looking. They look like some of the varieties of Elephant ears I have in the backyard and would be a great addition to my landscape. I would love to grow it as an ornamental but I don't think I would have the heart to cut it down once it got established. I guess they don't have aerial roots like the Philodendron? Plus I have no idea if the plant can stand the heat in South Texas though I could keep it in the shade. Do people sell Kava plants as ornamentals? I have 2 compost bins so I could keep my Kava Kava, Happy Happy.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hay Deleted User01, I would think that kava would grow in Texas, it is not the heat so much but the cold, the kava might not like the cold, if it gets cold, kava does like the shade but it can be trained to go in full sun, it also likes water and compost. There are kava plants for sale locally and if you want I can see what is involved with sending you come cuttings, I think I will have to get it inspected but it would be nice to see if you can grow kava over there. I will keep in touch about this. Aloha.

Chris

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Those Kava plants are nice looking. They look like some of the varieties of Elephant ears I have in the backyard and would be a great addition to my landscape. I would love to grow it as an ornamental but I don't think I would have the heart to cut it down once it got established. I guess they don't have aerial roots like the Philodendron? Plus I have no idea if the plant can stand the heat in South Texas though I could keep it in the shade. Do people sell Kava plants as ornamentals? I have 2 compost bins so I could keep my Kava Kava, Happy Happy.
I asked Adil about growing kava in Texas

http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/question-for-adil.1679/

I think we decided that you'd probably need a greenhouse in case of a hard freeze.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I know that there are some places that are just out of the question but there are some that might make it, I think Texas is one of them. I have grown kava in a lot of different areas here in Hawaii, even cold areas, yes it gets cold here in Hawaii, in fact we have a bunch of snow on the mountain now. I can go skying and then go surfing, all in the same day. I have grown kava in places that they said it could not be done.
I would think the only way to find out for sure is to give it a try. I also know that there were a few people that got some kava cuttings and started growing them in Florida but I do not know how that turned out. Aloha everyone.

Chris

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
South Florida would definitely be the best bet for mainland kava...I'd love to try growing it, but I think it would definitely require a greenhouse...even southern california & texas often drop to freezing and near freezing temps overnight in the winter. :(
Here's a pretty thorough look at kava growing, if anyone's interested: http://agroforestry.net/scps/Kava_specialty_crop.pdf
seems to be pretty legit

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Shakas, I think a green house would be a must, it would certainly help. I do not know the mainland to well, never been there, maybe one day.
That article you sited was written by Dr. Scott Nelson, he is a good friend of mine, I used to go over to his place a lot and we would drink kava, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to kava. He did move to Oahu a few years ago so I don't get to see him as often. I did just speak to him on the phone a few weeks ago and he is still keeping up his research as well as teaching at UH. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Chris, thanks for the info. You are an encyclopedia of Kava info and it seems like you are somewhat of a Kava Celebrity if there is any such thing as that. And I'm not just saying that because you gave me some awesome samples. I think I can Google Kava and find some nurseries that sell it. I just got a batch of tropical seedlings from Florida the other day so the planting season is "game on". By the way, I have 2 small green houses and I also have a system where I can protect the plants in the ground with plastic sheeting. That being said, we did have casualties this winter so I have to fine tune my system.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It is warm enough here in Texas most of the time that kava would probably do very well but sometimes you get a really bad winter like this one, in fact there was so much freezing rain here the other day that the pine trees were sagging over with ice, I've never seen anything like it here before. I've never grown it but I assume that sort of thing would kill it and we wouldn't want that.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for explaining the process Chris and your pic's are great! I was checking out your web page and couldn't see whether you ship outside of the US. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and would love try some of your great looking Kava. Which island is your family farm on? It's been about five years since my last trip to Maui and I'm dying to get back to the laid back afternoon trade winds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Sirkavalot, I am glad you like my pictures. I do ship anywhere that kava is legal, I know that it is against the law in Australia, is it legal in Canada?
I am on the Big Island of Hawaii, if you are ever in the area you are welcome to stop by. I will give you the grand tour and we can harvest a kava and try some fresh kava root. Let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks Chris. Kava is legal to import and use for personal consumption in Canada. You just can't bulk purchase and redistribute in Canada. I'll be in touch shortly with an order. It looks like you've got some great stuff. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk