What's new

Sitting inside a new Kava Bar in the Bay Area named "Kava Bar"

starscolliding

Kava Curious
Sitting inside a new Kava Bar in San Mateo-ish, not far from the San Francisco airport but more on the El Camino side.

The guy running it is Fijian and there is a group of 10 Fijians sitting here. In fact, one of them just said "Bula". They are all talking in Fijian (I think). I think this is a neighborhood with a bunch of people from there, and Tongans too. Fijiaan grocery across the street, etc.

Jus about to start my 4th shell.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Hah! Wish I'd known about that, I was staying closeby SFO just a few weeks ago. Even got off at the San Mateo BART.

starscolliding

Kava Curious
I asked the guy about varieties and he said he is selling Fijiaan Kava and that the Fijian's don't like the smell of Vanuatu Kava. I thought that was pretty funny.

He showed me a bag of roots and 'chips'. Do you guys know what the chips are? He said soemthing about stem but they couldn't be using the real stem, could they? The chips are around and inch to two inches and are oval in shape, pretty thin. Is that just the base of the underground plant, the stump I've heard about? He has his own grinder and makes the Kava from roots. He said he can make any combination of root to chips, and I asked for all root and he said that was no problem.

Mr. Kava

Kava Enthusiast
+1 for the San Mateo bar.

The owner's name is Rakesh Kumar.
His brother is a big time Kava importer.
He has a pounding machine in the back room and makes his powder fresh daily.
His prices are exceptional:
$3 a shell.
Fresh pounded Waka for $18 per pound.

I believe he is located in San Bruno.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Hoddogs and Kava!!!
Gives me more ideas for my idea of making a traveling kava hut for east coast summer music festivals.