What's new

Shakes after drinking kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larp Jango

Kava Curious
Why do I sometimes get shaky when I drink kava? It's only happened twice now, I've been drinking since June but taking breaks. Thanks

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
It's more like I'm shivering
Don't think it's something to worry about. Sometimes I'll get the euphoric shiver once a good size shell starts kicking in. But kava also makes me really cold now that the weather is cooling down. Maybe one of the more experienced members might have some info on it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Sometimes, especially on days where kava hits me stronger than usual, I can get a period of this little tension stim-like jitter. Not sure what makes it happen sometimes but it's usually transitional and doesn't happen often.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah its when your not warm enough mixed with the stim jitters. They go hand and hand. Example for me was the other day I pounded a good couple shells of mahakea and was just ROOoOOted, my ears were ringing I was cold and slightly tense and jittery, rubbing my hair and my head kinda bobbing in a slightly disphoric desire to come down just a tiny bit lol.
With our weather we see this happen alot more but in the hot summer and islanders weather is a relief to be cooled down to that extent,

Also food. Since your prolly fasting food will help warm ya up. Spicy foods a nice hot tea like ginger and you'll be gucci.

Also try as the other member above me reccomended a less heady one if you get anxiety from random changes in body. So do I :p.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Sounds like nervousness mixed with Kava's cooling effects. Consider lessening the dose of each shell and/or spacing shells further apart. I totally understand why kids have comfort blankets. When effects of any substance come on too quickly, I feel like curling up in a ball and climbing under a blanket. I bet it's nerves.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Sometimes, especially on days where kava hits me stronger than usual, I can get a period of this little tension stim-like jitter. Not sure what makes it happen sometimes but it's usually transitional and doesn't happen often.
Sometimes I get @sɥɐʞɐs after drinking kava too. At a certain point he just shows up. I give him some clothes to wear, and share a few shells with him. Then he usually passes out on the couch. In the morning he just wanders off, but he leaves the shirt I gave him, neatly folded, on the couch.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I used to get it when drinking too much strong kava - your muscles kind of tense up and whole arms shake. When you try to brush your teeth before crashing, you just about ram the brush through your cheek if you're not careful.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I get the shakes pretty regularly when drinking kava. It seems to be something that I've acquired over time, as I never remember getting them early on in my kava drinking days. Also I'm with everyone else in the fact that it makes you feel stimulated. Never stopped me from falling asleep, but definitely feels stimulating at times. This usually occurs when I haven't eaten enough during the day, and before kava.

I have the shakes right now, probably from drinking too much. I was trying to intensify the effects. I don't think it did anything but make me shaky. I have shakiness in my neck and head, though. It caused my anxiety to increase, like others have reported. I learned that more doesn't seem to intensity the good feeling I had after just a couple of cups, which is a bummer because I don't feel like this is much better than benadryl for sleeping. In fact, I probably couldn't sleep with only kava and eventually took benadryl. Does anyone know how to intensify the effects? Preferably without shaking. It's a lot of effort to make the tea (hand squeezed) if it's only going to slightly relax me and give me the shakes. Maybe I just need to build my reverse tolerance? I've only used it about 3 times, but so far it doesn't seem any more relaxing than benadryl. Well, I guess it's a little better, but I was hoping for something more dramatic. Any ideas? Maybe another legal thing that is stronger, besides alcohol.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Actually, some people might potentially have an extremely rare genetic predisposition to getting (reversible) "tremors" after kava (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11835463). It's actually so rare that there is only one documented case of such tremors in the kava literature. Which means that it could actuallly be total BS and that case might have been unrelated to kava. But just thought I would publish it here in case anyone experienced similar symptoms or had similar concerns.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've mentioned this a long time ago, but since @SuperMature69 mentioned the 'jitter' only being in her neck/head and @Henry posting about a woman who acquired Parkinsonism, I'll mention it again:

I once drank kava with a female friend of mine and after a few shells, her neck/head started doing this fairly slow, repetitive dipping movement...she didn't really have control of it. I had kava with her a few times before this event...and a few times after, but it never happened again. This was distinctly different than the occasional 'kava jitter' that some people experience.

For the sake of data, I'll add that she's usually an alcohol consumer, so kava is always a surprise to her body when she drink it. Also, the most similar thing I could relate it too is when I used to have a long weekend of hard drinking (alcohol), at some point I noticed there would be a period of time where it felt like my head was bobbing, very slightly and beyond my control.

Status
Not open for further replies.