What's new

Kava Botany SEX!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Crops that are propagated by cuttings are impossible to genetically manipulate by farmers. It is generally populations that select for traits. Yes, by mutation. If a population eats a lot of cassava, for example, they might start saying "hey, Johny just started harvesting a cassava that is so much more delicious than the old one." They might eat that for years and then "hey, this cassava from this other village is even more delicious."

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I wonder at what point did piper wichmanii become piper methysticum. At what baby plant just couldn't reproduce ? Lol that'd be a fascinating moment of life . Lol. I just really wanna know more about how they created it ect. It seems unheard of. Dogs are the only other thing I know of thats actually a species that we changed into a whole other species. But kava seems to have the limitations of a gmo that can't reproduce. @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava @Deleted User

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
There are so many root crops with the same story. People probably consumed piper wichmanii for milennia and it slowly changed into piper methysticum, with wild populations of wichmanii still propagating wildly. Over thousands of years, the taste for good Kava slowly created the selective pressures.

And just to name a few animals that humans essentially generated into a whole new species (even more than dogs!):

Cows, Chickens, Goats, Sheep, Cats

and other crops that can't survive without human propagation:

Corn, tomatoes, potatoes, pineapples, guinea corn, many others...

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
That's interesting ! Thanks kavassuer.
What's the story with cats. I was under the impression that we Inhereted them as friends, when we starting storing our food. Bringing nice and subsequently bringing cats . Creating a relationship where we both benefit

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
There are so many root crops with the same story. People probably consumed piper wichmanii for milennia and it slowly changed into piper methysticum, with wild populations of wichmanii still propagating wildly. Over thousands of years, the taste for good Kava slowly created the selective pressures.

And just to name a few animals that humans essentially generated into a whole new species (even more than dogs!):

Cows, Chickens, Goats, Sheep, Cats

and other crops that can't survive without human propagation:

Corn, tomatoes, potatoes, pineapples, guinea corn, many others...
I thought corn couldn't reproduce without cross pollination by bees.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Since wichmanii isn't extinct, we should use that as base stock and start all over again.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Being pollinated by a external source is not the same as needing to have cuttings.
Pollination results in baby's. Which is reproduction... cuttings result in exact genetics ... Everytime. So it's two different things still.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Jk Does the fact that kava can't reproduce mean that there are only a certain amount of strains that do and ever will exist ?
How can you further develop strains without reproduction ?
Hi @Mrbinx69
I wrote a very good article on this subject and you can find it here--- "How does kava reproduce"
I am sure it will answer all your questions about how kava is reproduced and if we will ever get any new kava varieties.
Aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't have a problem with GMO per se. That is, I don't believe "GMO" crops are dangerous. But my only concern with gene-splicing technology is that some asshat company would create a genetically engineered strain of super kava, and then patent it, and sell the starters for exorbitant prices to poor people in the South Pacific.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Being pollinated by a external source is not the same as needing to have cuttings.
Pollination results in baby's. Which is reproduction... cuttings result in exact genetics ... Everytime. So it's two different things still.
This reminds me, I need to murder some of the spider plant babies all over my house. Little fuckers.

verticity

I'm interested in things
All you can do with kava is wait for a mutation to happen, notice it, decide if you like the mutation and replant cuttings if you do.
It's likely that there are other ways to fiddle with the kavalactones with certain growing tricks, but I don't think it's been
studied enough...and since kava is 3-5 yr crop it makes trying this-n-that a slow process to see the outcome.
I've heard about plants grown under different wavelengths of light having different proportions of chemicals/nutrients when mature,
I'd be interested to see someone take on that project with kava plants to see how they get affected.

I'd totally be interested in GMO kava, because you could hypothetically create a robust, fast growing, high kavalactone, pest resistant strain.
But if you did create that, you would basically be the kava master and it would probably cut drastically into the kava export that helps keep many South Pacific peoples afloat.
I do believe GMO isn't much different than selective breeding, it can just take things farther and faster than selective breeding, so quickly that we might not recognize possible negative effects immediately.

In terms of animals, a dog is the product of human's selectively breeding wolves...natural selection is the much slower process that led some prehistoric Canidae to eventually being a Wolf. GMO is capable of doing stuff humans normally wouldn't be able to accomplish, like insert jellyfish DNA into a dog and make their fur glow.
Scientists have done this to rabbits, it's pretty awesome, I can't recall if it affected the health of the animal though. There was also a european country that was going to GMO the trees that line the street with jellyfish dna, to make the trees glow at night. GMO street light jellyfish trees. I like it.
So there were some Pacific islands used for testing nuclear weapons a while back. I wonder if kava or wichmannii grew on any of those islands, because to gamma rays from the nukes would have induced massive mutations in the plants. If we went back there now, I'm afraid of what kind of monster wichmannii we might find. ::zilla::

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
So there were some Pacific islands used for testing nuclear weapons a while back. I wonder if kava or wichmannii grew on any of those islands, because to gamma rays from the nukes would have induced massive mutations in the plants. If we went back there now, I'm afraid of what kind of monster wichmannii we might find. ::zilla::
Hanei'kaHulk'i