What's new

Kava Physiology Psychological and physiological withdraw symptoms from habitual Kava consumption

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Hey all, I wanted to reach out to the community based on some recent observations I've made given a very strange reaction I've seemed to have to a certain type of Kava. I've been a Kava consumer for a few years now, off and on, and variably consistent, but usually at least a couple to a few times per week. I've also taken a new job which has been highly stressful at times, and coupled with other stresses of life, found myself consuming Kava every day for a week or two at a time.

Being somebody who doesn't like to feel dependent on a substance in order to cope, when I would reach 4-5 days of use, I would purposefully cut back and give myself some time off of it.

This has never been an issue in the past, however with one variety of Kava (from a Kava Forums-approved vendor, not some cheap Amazon-only brand), I've recently experienced significant psychological and physiological withdraw symptoms which set in the day after, lasting 3-4 days.

These symptoms included extraordinarily high anxiety to the point I could barely eat or sleep, random bouts of crying and depression throughout the day, and profuse sweating when undertaking mild physical activities. I needed to reach out to a psychiatrist, beings that I was not sleeping for multiple days and couldn't work. After about a week's time of abstinence and time off of work, I was able to sleep, eat, and the depression symptoms subsided.

I am not blaming the kava explicitly, given my brain chemistry and physiology will be different than others and from what I have read and experienced over the past few years, this was not a normal reaction to Kava. However given the use of it to cope and unusually high levels of stress I was already experiencing, I was wonder if anyone else has ever had a similar reaction. I figure that this might not be something that many folks would want to come forward with since Kava is usually so well tolerated, but I wanted to be a voice for anyone who might have experienced something similar to know it may not have just been them, as well as to contribute towards our overall knowledge of this plant, even if this is an edge case. This was also a highly heady-chemotype kava for what it's worth.

Thanks all

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Hey all, I wanted to reach out to the community based on some recent observations I've made given a very strange reaction I've seemed to have to a certain type of Kava. I've been a Kava consumer for a few years now, off and on, and variably consistent, but usually at least a couple to a few times per week. I've also taken a new job which has been highly stressful at times, and coupled with other stresses of life, found myself consuming Kava every day for a week or two at a time.

Being somebody who doesn't like to feel dependent on a substance in order to cope, when I would reach 4-5 days of use, I would purposefully cut back and give myself some time off of it.

This has never been an issue in the past, however with one variety of Kava (from a Kava Forums-approved vendor, not some cheap Amazon-only brand), I've recently experienced significant psychological and physiological withdraw symptoms which set in the day after, lasting 3-4 days.

These symptoms included extraordinarily high anxiety to the point I could barely eat or sleep, random bouts of crying and depression throughout the day, and profuse sweating when undertaking mild physical activities. I needed to reach out to a psychiatrist, beings that I was not sleeping for multiple days and couldn't work. After about a week's time of abstinence and time off of work, I was able to sleep, eat, and the depression symptoms subsided.

I am not blaming the kava explicitly, given my brain chemistry and physiology will be different than others and from what I have read and experienced over the past few years, this was not a normal reaction to Kava. However given the use of it to cope and unusually high levels of stress I was already experiencing, I was wonder if anyone else has ever had a similar reaction. I figure that this might not be something that many folks would want to come forward with since Kava is usually so well tolerated, but I wanted to be a voice for anyone who might have experienced something similar to know it may not have just been them, as well as to contribute towards our overall knowledge of this plant, even if this is an edge case. This was also a highly heady-chemotype kava for what it's worth.

Thanks all
I've gulped and sipped quite a few cultivars, but never experienced any withdrawal symptoms at all. But, you've had enough experience of kava over the years to know that this particular sack of kava is affecting you in this way. It does make me worry about extraneous substances/impurities in this particular sack.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
I've gulped and sipped quite a few cultivars, but never experienced any withdrawal symptoms at all. But, you've had enough experience of kava over the years to know that this particular sack of kava is affecting you in this way. It does make me worry about extraneous substances/impurities in this particular sack.
That was a fear of mine as well, given how closely the withdrawl symptoms resembled something like a benzodiazepine. I'm not sure what else could create such a similar reaction, or if Kava is even capable of creating one itself. But it was probably the most difficult week of my life from a mental health perspective.

I acknowledge that this is only one person's anecdote at this point, and my mental health is certainly not perfect. I've dealt with anxiety since the pandemic and have been able to manage it successfully with exercise, a good diet, and a work-life balance, but this threw a major wrench into it.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but doesnt seem kava-related, esp considering you associate such extreme, completely unusual effects with just one specific cultivar. There are differences between cultivars, but not this big.

I would suggest visiting a qualified therapist/psychologist to discuss your anxiety. There is actually no solid evidence kava (or any other substance) can "cure" generalised anxiety disorder. By contrast, plenty of evidence supporting therapy