kl.kavakavakava

Kava Curious
Got another noob question here,

how many shells per pound of kava?

thanks for the help guys

I'm just trying to figure out how much to order

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Varies significantly by the "thickness" of your brew and the size of your shell. I never measure my water either, I just add what feels right. I might get 6 or so "shells" out of a half-cup of root on the first wash, and slightly fewer than that on my second wash.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Unfortunately kava wont convert that way. Depending on how dry it is, how dense it is, and how much resin is contains will all cause the measurements to be different. You're going from volume to weight. A pound of feathers weighs as much as a pound of bricks, but a pound of bricks takes up way less volume because it is so compact. Without knowing the cubic density you wouldn't be able to accurately measure how much a certain amount would weigh

However! I would supposed kava had similar (definitely not exact) properties dry as dried wheat flour. If this is correct then 168 teaspoons would equal a pound. Again, only a really rough estimate at this point. I'll measure a teaspoon when I get home.

Calvincs

Kava Curious
Yeah, it seems to vary greatly from one Kava vendor to the next. 

One says one tbsp for 16 oz of water while others say 2 tbs for 8 oz. 

And honestly these always seem to be on the lax side.  Often I end up doubling that 50% to 100%

It really just depends.

So much so I think my next purchase will be a scale, and a log book to keep track of my personal trial and error water/root ratios by vendor.

Good luck tho!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That's grams, by the way, in case the image quality is too low to see it.

kl.billbryan

Kava Curious
Was going to say the same thing. From my experience 1 Tbs is ~7.5g. So then 1/2 cup will be equal to ~60g. There is close to 450g per pound don't know exact number I'm sure you can figure out the rest from here.