What's new

natural yellow pigment in flavokawain A/B reason behind yellowing of skin in certain extracts?

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I read about this a few minutes ago. I won't pretend to know what i'm talking about when it comes to medical/scientific jargon, but I was googling the specific effects of the six kavalactones and I stumbled across this little nugget, and thought i'd share. The last sentence caught my eye. What if yellowing of skin was caused by a pigment, and had nothing to do with the liver all?

Two pigment materials have been isolated from the rhizomes of Piper methysticum by chromatographic techniques. One, called Flavokawin A was initially obtained in 0.04% yield; the other, Flavokawin B, in one tenth this amount. The structures of these have been established by synthesis to be substituted chalcones that bear an obvious biogenetic relationship to the styrylpyrones. Flavokawin A has proved to be 2'hydroxy-4-4'-6'-trimethoxychalcone (XIII) and Flavokawin B is 2'-hydroxy-4'-6' dimethoxychalcone (XIV). These yellow pigments provide an explanation for the skin discoloration observed with chronic exposure to Piper methysticum extracts, but they appear to be without biological activity.

Here's the site if you feel like reading more. https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals-entheogens/13209-narcotic-pepper-chemistry-pharmacology-piper-methysticum.html