What's new

Kava Botany mr.sanpedro's Baby Kava Plants

D

Deleted User01

My kava also died back when and I gave up. They don't like it too cold or too hot, but just right. Also, the dang ornamental kava that I accidently bought ... well it takes root everywhere I put the pot and grows like a weed. It's a constant reminder to me that I didn't read the specifications real close when I bought it. So @mr.sanpedro, good luck with all that.
P.S. If the aguaponic system works, maybe you will end being a Kava Grower Pioneer. Show us pictures of your system when you get it rigged up.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I am sorry to tell you, that my Plants got rot rot. But I will start a new project with a aquaponic system.

Best regards
Sorry to hear that, @mr.sanpedro. Like @Deleted User01, I'd love to hear about your new system once it's set up. Also, note this.

@Deleted User01 ugh that shit has taken over many acres of land around my home in Taveuni. Once it takes hold, it's almost impossible to get rid of without resorting to weedicides.

D

Deleted User01

Well, according to the link above, Kava doesn't like to grow in water. So why not attack the original problem? Why would his kava get root rot? How can that be prevented? @mr.sanpedro, can you describe the growing environment? Was it inside or outside? How about the watering intervals? Was in a pot or in the ground? Maybe we can get @Alia or @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava to help troubleshoot the original problem. I'm pretty sure my Mo'i died because I tried to overwinter it outside. And I did put it in a greenhouse but that Mo'i was a frail little feller when I first bought it and I don't think it ever recovered. Also, I have 3 greenhouses with the biggest one about 20 ft long and none of them completely keep the cold out but enough that some of the annuals come back and some of the elephant ears will actually strive.

PS. 2016-2017 was not a good year for us and the elephants ears in the ground took a big hit. However, their babies in pots are ready to be planted and keep on the family tradition. Cutting are great stuff. If my Mo'i had lived long enough, I would have taken many cuttings by now.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I am sorry to tell you, that my Plants got rot rot. But I will start a new project with a aquaponic system.

Best regards
The Kava roots hate to be in water for a long time, they do not like standing water and aquaponic's is not a good idea for kava. It would be best in a good soil with good compost and in a warm area in the winter and in the shade in the summer, the kava should not have a plate of water for the pot to sit on, this will keep the roots wet and you don't want that. Just water about a day or 2 after the soil gets dry to the touch. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris

mr.sanpedro

Kava Curious
Thank you very much Chris, at the moment I have the new stem cuttings in sphagnum. I will follow your instruction with the watering.

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
IMG_1457.JPG
San Pedro huh? I have been growing for about 6 years now. Pachanoi, Peruvian and Bridgesii. Here are a few of them inside for the night due to cold.