What's new

Moi: Medium grind VS instant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Any input ?
I'd say Mahakea or Papa Kea for the evenings.

Also, I tried the blender method, and the results were kind of "meh." I think the material just ends up getting spun around in the blender and not really massaged at all. The grog was runny and not thick or muddy at all. I have found over the last couple days that kneading the kava with my fingers is really the most effective method with the medium grind. In fact, I can run a batch through 2 or 3 washes and still get the same effect out of each one. I did try a fourth wash once, and at that point I think it was tapped dry, but 2 or 3 makes me feel like I've sufficiently gotten all the kavalactones out of the grind.

I pushed the envelope yesterday and made a 5 tablespoon batch of Mo'i. It hit me in the head and actually resulted in a little jittery anxiety, I don't think I'll be prepping that much at one time again. So far I'm enjoying 3 tablespoons, out of which I can get 3 shells, and the feeling is a nice calmness with a heady clarity...

Live2Ski

Where does micro fit into this discussion? I ask because that's all I've tried so far. In all honesty, so far it's just so easy to put in my gnc shaker, and doesn't create a ruckus in the kitchen, it will be hard to use regular prep methods. Wife already thinks I'm a bit strange. Going through a bigger production might make waves I don't want to make.

dubya

I accidentally ordered the medium grind moi instead of the micronized and have a noob question regarding preparation. I lack a straining bag, but have a pour over coffee maker with a fine metal filter. Is it reasonable to prepare it this way? Also, would it get enough of the large particles out or is that more of a preference thing?

I can definitely feel the effects, but might go the extra mile if I'm missing out.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I accidentally ordered the medium grind moi instead of the micronized and have a noob question regarding preparation. I lack a straining bag, but have a pour over coffee maker with a fine metal filter. Is it reasonable to prepare it this way? Also, would it get enough of the large particles out or is that more of a preference thing?

I can definitely feel the effects, but might go the extra mile if I'm missing out.
A coffee filter won't work very well, because you need to knead it in the straining bag. You can buy some knee-high stockings quite cheaply. They work really well. Just say they are for your wife or girlfriend if questioned (you won't be questioned)

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro

I'm super-sensitive to maka particles. The hard fibrous channels that run parallel to the roots. I think they're probably xylem or phloem related, or at least are involved in carrying water around the plant. The stab my guts like millions of tiny little daggers. I have to strain down to 25 micron to remove maka particles when I filter medium grind.

Many have no problem with "toss and wash" which is whole root everything in one go.

For straining bags, in a pinch you can run to the hardware store and buy a pack of "paint strainers". They're just nylon mesh and the same thing that Paradise Kava sells as straining bags. I used these initially, but they let through too much hard fibers for me.

I recommend investing in a $15 nut milk bag as they're really tough and work great. Many go with the knee-high panty hose because they're readily available and easy to work with.

Medium Grind is better than micronized or instant, in my opinion. Properly worked, it really transcends.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
I was also searching ebay the other day for a new strainer bag! The original one I got was from N@H and it worked alright, but since then I found this 5 pack for 3-4 bucks shipped, the bags are like 4x6" so nice and small since I dont use as much powder as most of you lol...the bags are a muslin type bag...but kinda compared to small milk bags as well...
Anyways, these nee bags blow away my old ones!
After a 10-15minute kneed you get it all out, they strain amazingly well! Theres no big particulas at all. Just a nice smooth easy drinking kava :)

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think that is a true statement. I think only a small minority has no problem with toss and wash.
Is there any difference in effects of toss n wash compared to kneading ground root?
Besides the stomach discomfort, extra fiber and higher chance of dermo.
Does the body extract less kavalactones because the material is sitting in stomach acid rather than someone kneading the kavalactones out? Im curious about this process and the effects versus kneading.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Is there any difference in effects of toss n wash compared to kneading ground root?
Besides the stomach discomfort, extra fiber and higher chance of dermo.
Does the body extract less kavalactones because the material is sitting in stomach acid rather than someone kneading the kavalactones out? Im curious about this process and the effects versus kneading.
With toss and wash you will actually get stronger effects because you are consuming the whole root. Kavalactones are soluble in gastric juices, so will all be extracted. The price you pay is a very high chance of mild to severe stomach upset, nausea, gas, possibly worse dermo.

skippykava

Kava Curious
The Moi instant 50 grams finally arrived ! The website says to try 1 to 2 tea spoons and the package mentions nothing about that. That is 1/3 to 2/3 tablespoons. I tried 1 tea spoon and got nothing after waiting 3 minutes after a 7 hour fast prior to drinking.

The taste was very smooth. I mixed with half a cup coconut water and half cup tap water.

After 1 tea spoon failed I went back after the 30 minutes of waiting and made another with 3 tea spoons. That is 1 table spoon. It was still very smooth and fairly little taste. The mixture was darker though and more like the dark color kava should be. I felt a tiny bit of the chalkiness / texture, but very little, perhaps 1/10th the amount that I would get from other instant brands. That is probably because the real chalky contributor which is the makas has been removed.

I'm starting to feel something kava like after about 5-10 minutes. It may go nowhere though, sometimes I start to feel something and it just dies off after a short time without getting very strong. Dose is very important it seems and 1 table spoon which is 3 tea spoons would seem to be the lowest dose.

skippykava

Kava Curious
I have not gone back to instant. I have been checking the true kava kavalactone ratings and getting what has the highest K/DHM ratio. I also use a 10 micron nominal filtering bag now.

Skitty

Kava Enthusiast
I have not gone back to instant. I have been checking the true kava kavalactone ratings and getting what has the highest K/DHM ratio. I also use a 10 micron nominal filtering bag now.
Where did you order your filtering bag? And which kava do you like best?

skippykava

Kava Curious
I got the 10 micron nominal monofilament mesh biodiesel bag on amazon from a company called Duda Diesel. Right now I like Numbawan from BKH, but I just got my second order from them and it was very different color and doesn't seem to be working the same. I found out about it from the true kava website chemotype test page and it is the one with the highest K/DHM ratio.

I just posted a thread on the vendor's section describing my concern.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/numbawan-authenticity.6441/

The main problem I've been having is extreme dry eyes two days after drinking kava even if I only drink it a few times.

Jen77

GHK - I am not clear the difference between the Moi instant and Moi micronized. Do you just stir the micronized into a drink like you do the instant? Why would one choose micronized over instant? Would like to order today but hope to clarify this.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
GHK - I am not clear the difference between the Moi instant and Moi micronized. Do you just stir the micronized into a drink like you do the instant? Why would one choose micronized over instant? Would like to order today but hope to clarify this.
Both are meant to be stirred directly into water...micronized might be a bit grittier than instant though, if you have a stomach sensitive to extra plant particles floating around, you might need to stay away from higher doses. Some people still attempt to strain micronized kava, if they find it to disagree with stomach. Both can be fairly potent, but micronized is a little cheaper for the amount you get. However, instant is generally a 'cleaner' feeling experience...it would just be ridiculously expensive to drink it everyday.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Also a huge difference and why instant is cleaner is because Chris uses fresh kava for the instant rather than just making a grog out of medium dry and then evaporating it.... if he did that then I would say they would be identical but that freshness is technically being captured in its essence then dried ... rather than dried than captured ?? Make sense

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
I choose micronized because of the price point. Instant costs twice as much. Yes, the experience is a bit cleaner with instant, but I find the micronized to be totally fine for my purposes. Chris removes the makas (hard fibers) before processing, so you can be sure that the micronized from GHK will present less nausea than other types of micronized.

I just received some GHK Mo'i micronized today in the mail! Yay! It's always a great day when that comes in... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.