What's new

Making your own instant

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I'm really interested in hearing how your grinder works out. The blade type did ok but it's still not quite as fine as the commercially available instants.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've been thinking about this and here is why I think instant kava is better for me... Firstly I can only really take in so much peppery liquid before my stomach gets upset. Secondly, you need a reasonable amount of liquid to prep your med grind or you risk leaving lots of the good stuff in your root. If you think of instant as more or less just dried good stuff it's possible to get a lot more KL's into a lot less liquid so I can have 2 kava "shots" per session well spaced out thus avoiding dodgy belly but still getting a good amount of KL's in. This is just a theory but it sounds reasonable enough.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
If I had a good supplier of roots, I would love to have a kava business. It would be a fun side job. If i knew it would grow and be fruitful(or rootful) here, I would start a kava farm to go with my future dream of having an orchard.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
A bit tricky in the UK, can't grow it and illegal to import it... have to keep it just for me I'm afraid, small packages get through every time so far. When you're a kava millionaire just remember who gave you the idea ;-)

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Sure will. Besides, a good kava farmer, could always use a good partner/importer for other continents :D
I can see it now. "Kowboy Kava Instant Arkansan Kava. Less Filling, More Thrilling."
haha pipe dreams are nice.. :rolleyes:

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Im gonna try to start a batch of instant Squanch tonight. But first i need to try it out to see how potent it is for me.
How's that Squanch kava treating you? I found it to be pretty awesome, very potent and heady/euphoric. I even had a decent 3rd wash out of it in an Aluball. That's a first time for a successful Aluball 3rd wash for me. @Edward, if you've not tried the Squanch root I highly suggest you give it a try. Just PM @Squanch72

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
@Sam Handwich, It blew my freakin mind! Lol it is very potent, 4-5 heaping tbsp in 16oz water, I drank one 8oz shell and had to stop for a couple hours. Way stronger than expected. Of course I hadnt eaten in about 7 hours, but it still blew my top off. It was as strong as a session as I would like to have without getting too krunk. After I settled down a little. I drank another 4oz and had to give the rest to my mother. I am about to do a second wash on it and try to do some more lol.

In other news, I kneaded up about 10 good tbsp of Squanch in 8 cups water,(including second wash) and loaded up 9 trays in my gardenmaster, set at 100 degrees F.
Squanch Instant, coming right up...eventually!
CAM00265.jpg

Yeah...my Dehydrator is not setting on a level surface lol.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Right on! I look forward to hearing the results of drying at 100 deg. We already know that 155 deg. is good for "extra crispy" :facepalm:

Bwiggy

I like plants
I was wondering about the dehydration temp, thinking that the 100 degrees @wanderingwoodsmith used would be safe, and 155 in the over doesn't work ....
I was wondering how high/fast in a dehydrator it could be without negatively affecting any of the good bits.
I'm looking for that university study that showed the specific degrees they tested. I know not over boiling, but I'd like the number.
And now I"m realizing using metals pans, as I am, would increase the temp of the liquid!

Some of those teflon sheets are on the way.
When they arrive, I'll want to adjust the temp higher than my 115, just not sure how high I can go and be safe.

Last edited: