What's new

Looking for some advice, Kelai instant or not? (I don't like Bir kar, comparable?)

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
I was super happy to see they have Kelai instant in the European store (kavaeurope.eu) now.

I was looking for a nice heady for some time. Kelai in general (traditional grind) has some nice reviews.

But 70 € + for 100gr incl. shipping is a bit much when I don't know if I will like it.

Actually I was sure "Get it, before it is sold out!". But then I read at some place, that Bir Kar seems to be similar, just more weak.

Bir kar was one of those Kavas I just couldn't take. It was a bit like weed and I don't like that.

All other reviews I read about Kelai sounded very promising. I like energizing, I like clear head - everything is good with that - but please no "weed" (mind twisting) effect.

Someone? :)

Edit: 3 x 100gr left... they are sold out so fast at kavaeurope sometimes, it is fascinating...

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I was super happy to see they have Kelai instant in the European store (kavaeurope.eu) now.

I was looking for a nice heady for some time. Kelai in general (traditional grind) has some nice reviews.

But 70 € + for 100gr incl. shipping is a bit much when I don't know if I will like it.

Actually I was sure "Get it, before it is sold out!". But then I read at some place, that Bir Kar seems to be similar, just more weak.

Bir kar was one of those Kavas I just couldn't take. It was a bit like weed and I don't like that.

All other reviews I read about Kelai sounded very promising. I like energizing, I like clear head - everything is good with that - but please no "weed" (mind twisting) effect.

Someone? :)

Edit: 3 x 100gr left... they are sold out so fast at kavaeurope sometimes, it is fascinating...
Kelai is easily the headiest of the kava cultivars. It's a good one, and worth trying. I highly suggest giving it a shot.

Reactions: Pzk

Lenticels

AluNaw
Not instant, but I think puariki is better than kelai: the former is seemingly more well-rounded, longer-lasting, and overall "smoother."

Kelai might have a very slight edge over puariki in terms of its initial raw kavain hit, but that's about it... its effects will come down, fast, and you might become a bit irritable (whereas with puariki, I think the "fade" is more legato-esque, if you will.)

Last edited:

Lenticels

AluNaw
hmmmm @Lenticels .... so perhaps end a Kelai session with some melo melo for the night...
I don't think it would quite translate like that; puariki has fairly consistent, sui generis effects (being another SC and all).

Combining cultivars can by all means be worthwhile (i.e., depending on what you hope to get out of kava), but I don't think you can get profoundly new experiences or anything out of doing so.

My brief contrasting of kelai vs puariki barely scratches the surface of how different they can actually be... that being said, I (of course) don't think combining kelai & melo melo is a bad idea in general.

Last edited:

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Combining cultivars can by all means be worthwhile (i.e., depending on what you hope to get out of kava), but I don't think you can get profoundly new experiences or anything out of doing so.
Not really combining, just for the "afterglow" when the effect is almost over...

Lenticels

AluNaw
Not really combining, just for the "afterglow" when the effect is almost over...
Well, looking at "combining" literally or not, it achieves (or rather, aims to achieve) a similar end.

And the comedown can hit you with a degree of surprise, so it might be better to actually mix them together from the get-go as opposed to having (presumably) two separate batches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pzk

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Kelai is easily the headiest of the kava cultivars. It's a good one, and worth trying. I highly suggest giving it a shot.
Now I know why, meanwhile I didn't realize I am still under "influence" - until music was playing.

and you might become a bit irritable
And this, also.

But I need to try it more often before I can "judge".

Seems to be very nice. But there is a slight edge at the come up (had a bit of anxiety) and when the effect wears off, - "irritable" is fitting. Somehow a bit comparable to the twisted weed feeling. But it wasn't present while the main effects happened (if you take enough. 10gr slightly anxiety, 15gr anxiety gone "feeling great").

I know this feeling from back then regarding different things, mostly the "Tunnel" you have to pass when effect comes up, you have to take the same way back.

But before I didn't do the whole 100gr instant, I don't judge yet. Can go fast atm. 30gr instant one day isn't even that much to me. Actually I would take much more if I could (and my body would be able to take it from the physical side)

But I am a master of "placebo effect", your "warning" didn't leave my brain and so I had a little bit of respect. Could be just an outcome of your warning.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
After a couple of hours break, I did a new session and did a 3:1 Kelai with Pacific elixir and this made it smoother while still heady. But now I ended up with melo melo + kelai + pacific elixir...

I don't know how much money I drank today... heavy...

btw: Powerful combination....

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Bula, just did a 3:1 Kelai + Pacific E. again. Super nice. Kelai is special. Solo I would almost say "spiritual" Kava. Blending is the way to go for me, seemingly.

I sit outside and dream about a kava commercial like the do it with beer... Taken the picture, + my feeling, supported by some nice music and a calm voice....

IMG_20231006_160125_(26.67_x_15_cm).jpg

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Kava is so special, I have the feeling like you can't just "blend" and have a new kava.
You have two kavas - like 1+1 = 2,5
I feel both kavas when I mix them. I hope you don't mind the word "drug" - it is like two drugs when I blend two strains. It isn't like the same drug - or having one drug in the end due to blending- if this makes sense?

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
When I think about my last post, many kavas are "blends" - when I bought them, and lets say they blended 5 kavas, did I experience 5 kavas? No...

Perhaps my feeling is like that, because I mixed instant with traditional grind, and they differ to most people. Also melo melo and kelai are not blended. I feel both kavas when I mix them, both qualities - like I said not like blending to a new kava- more like two different "drugs".

Lenticels

AluNaw
I hope you don't mind the word "drug" - it is like two drugs when I blend two strains.
I'll tell you what I do mind: the seemingly incessant propagation of the word "strain(s)." They're cultivars, c'mon!

(Anyway, your personal experience is your personal experience, I guess?)

Last edited:

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Happens, Cannabis past - sometimes I thought about "there was another word than strain" but I forgot again and again - my English is not the best.

KavaTasteGood

Kava Curious
I jumped in the occasion of buying the kelai when I saw this! It's far more subtle than the pacific elixir instant in me, with nearly no relaxation part. But it's refreshing indeed, and I can drink some when waking up and go to work without a frown. For me this is the ultimate waking up kava! Good vibes and transparent. But at night I miss the relaxing kick of other balanced kava. I tried the melo melo but was underwhelmed by it. I got it that the balanced kava are here for some reason haha. Pacific elixir is so shinny!

KavaTasteGood

Kava Curious
Yeah sorry for this approximation. I didn't found another way to describe it, but i started with this one and i think after testing a few different one, this capture the best of the kava experience.