What's new

Liver Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
For those that are like me and anal about monitoring their body more frequently than your insurance will allow, Ive started using a service that lets me get a comprehensive metabolic blood panel test for $29.
https://requestatest.com/about-us

I also own and use a blood pressure tester and a glucose/keytone blood tester.

I plan on starting out by doing a CMB test every two weeks and adjust as needed depending on the variance of results. Happy self monitoring!

D

Deleted User01

I'm due for a blood panel too but I can't find the time. Do you pull your own blood and send it to them or how does it work? For the Newbies around here, we always request Liver Readings with our Blood Panels, everyone posts them, and they are always excellent. Probably because we don't drink as much alcohol anymore.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm due for a blood panel too but I can't find the time. Do you pull your own blood and send it to them or how does it work? For the Newbies around here, we always request Liver Readings with our Blood Panels, everyone posts them, and they are always excellent. Probably because we don't drink as much alcohol anymore.
They work with 2 national labs Labcorp and another one, you just find the one closet to you and they take the blood and d po the test then reoort the results back to you online. The one nearest me is only 1,5 miles away. Thats even closer than my doctor.

D

Deleted User01

Yeah, LabCorp is right down the road. I see what you are saying. Its cheap and you get the results online. I normally have to get a relative to order the tests for me but this is way easier, convenient, and cheap. Thanks Headgie! I would just add that anyone who is going to get these types of tests better study up and what the results all mean. Cholesterol, glucose, and Liver are the easy ones. Worse case, I send the results to my relative for translation.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I did 2 full work ups recently and I am happy to report everything is A-ok with my liver.
Did you have any other blood work done? I am still curious if people see their cholesterol & triglyceride levels changing with kava use.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Did you have any other blood work done? I am still curious if people see their cholesterol & triglyceride levels changing with kava use.
Yes, I did 2 complete blood panels for a different issue, but the cholesterol levels were included. My is slightly high but for other reasons than kava. kava helps me keep my bp low too.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I took my first test from Labcorp yesterday and got the result back today. So excellent turnaround time and glad I did it, because it shows improvement. My surgery was on 1/20 and that was the week I stopped using kava. I did not use kava again until 2 weeks ago. In between I took a lot of prescription drugs (like Oxycotton for pain and others for muscle spasms), used Nyquil every night for sleep, and lots of red wine for pain and relaxation. You can see how my liver got out of whack during that time. And you can see now that I'm back using kava my tests are much better and within normal range again.

I'm still drinking red wine but much much less, and stopped all the prescribed pills, and nyquill. My diet is still high fat low carb, but I added a daily milk thistle tab to the vitamins I take. I also take meds for cholesterol and blood pressure, and have been taking those for years.
Code:
        AST SGOT(Normal 0-40)  ALT SGPT(Normal 0-44)
1/18              25                    18
4/3               80                    74
4/24              61                    70
5/11              39                    29

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I took my first test from Labcorp yesterday and got the result back today. So excellent turnaround time and glad I did it, because it shows improvement. My surgery was on 1/20 and that was the week I stopped using kava. I did not use kava again until 2 weeks ago. In between I took a lot of prescription drugs (like Oxycotton for pain and others for muscle spasms), used Nyquil every night for sleep, and lots of red wine for pain and relaxation. You can see how my liver got out of whack during that time. And you can see now that I'm back using kava my tests are much better and within normal range again.

I'm still drinking red wine but much much less, and stopped all the prescribed pills, and nyquill. My diet is still high fat low carb, but I added a daily milk thistle tab to the vitamins I take. I also take meds for cholesterol and blood pressure, and have been taking those for years.
Code:
        AST SGOT(Normal 0-40)  ALT SGPT(Normal 0-44)
1/18              25                    18
4/3               80                    74
4/24              61                    70
5/11              39                    29
Thank you for doing this.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I had a full health check yesterday and after 23 years of almost daily kava use, my liver is still an organ on a mission;

total protein (guide 6.3-8.2gdl) 6.44
albumin (guide 3.5-5mg/dl) 4.51
globulin (guide 1.6-4.9mg/dl) 1.93
Total bilirubin (guide 0.2-1.3mg/dl) 0.3
Direct bilirubin (guide 0-0.3mg/dl) 0.1
SGOT (guide 0-40U/L) 28
SGPT (0-40U/L) 50
Alk phosphate (39-117 U/L) 95

Well, except for SGPT which the doc said was related to a slightly fatty liver - which in turn is probably related to a new pizza place opening within delivery distance of my fairly remote house. My SGPT was well under 40 before this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.