What's new

liver test

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I had a fairly big kava session last night (finished 12 hours before the test) and have been drinking strong kava more or less regularly (4-5 times per week) for years. I drink booze apx once per week, never mix it with kava and I don't take any medications. I am generally healthy. The only enzyme that is elevated is GGT (97 - it should ideally be below 65). I've read somewhere that it is very common for kava drinkers to have it elevated. I remember the last time I did a test (2 years ago, I think) it was at 108 and when my doctor asked me whether I drink lots of booze or take any dietary supplements, I mentioned kava and she said "ah, ok, this explains why". I've also heard some men generally have a slightly increase level of GGT. I will probably do another test in a month or so following a fasting period to see if the results are any different.

Anyway, just thought I would share these results in case anyone else had similar results or concerns.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'm assuming that enzyme helps break down kava since it seems to be so consistent in us kava drinkers to have slightly elevated enzymes
According to one study (conducted among Tongan kava drinkers in Hawaii, I believe) around 60% of the regular kava drinkers had elevated levels of GGT with no apparent signs of liver injury. Similar observations were made about the Aborigines using kava in Aussie. Obviously in some cases this could indicate some health problems, but I think it's not uncommon for regular kava drinkers to have higher levels of GGT without any bigger problems.
Either way, I am getting some milk thistle next week :D

verticity

I'm interested in things
Btw, i ve noticed that none of the numerous people who publish their liver test results has mentioned anything about their ggt levels. Is it not part of your standard liver tests in America? @Deleted User01 @verticity @Steve Mariotti?
It looks like the GGT test is done in the US, but it is kind of optional, a second line test that is not routinely done:
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ggt/tab/sample/

"...However, the GGT test is not very specific and is not useful in differentiating between various causes of liver damage because it can be elevated with many types of liver diseases, such as cancer and viral hepatitis as well as other non-hepatic conditions such as acute coronary syndrome.
For this reason, use of GGT is controversial, and guidelines published by the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases do not recommend routine use of GGT...."​

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It looks like the GGT test is done in the US, but it is kind of optional, a second line test that is not routinely done:
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ggt/tab/sample/

"...However, the GGT test is not very specific and is not useful in differentiating between various causes of liver damage because it can be elevated with many types of liver diseases, such as cancer and viral hepatitis as well as other non-hepatic conditions such as acute coronary syndrome.
For this reason, use of GGT is controversial, and guidelines published by the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases do not recommend routine use of GGT...."​
Wow, this might explain why nearly all regular kava drinkers in nz I know get "elevated enzymes" in their liver tests while you guys get nice and clean results! This also explains why in Aussie the authorities are convinced that kava results in elevated liver enzymes.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Ya that definitley makes sense.

I gotta go get my test done I keep losing the little signed sheet by my doctor to go so I'm embarrassed to go a third time just to ask for it hahaha

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
My blood work was pretty thorough, as I hadn't had been to the doctor since I was kid,
and I don't see GGT on the list of results. So, yeah, I guess it's not a common test here...and since all the other liver panel results are in range, they wouldn't need to check GGT.

Looking it up online real quick, I see it can be raised by junk food, red meat, alcohol and certain meds and lowered with a little coffee, nuts, eggs, fruit, veg....the usual. I read a post by someone who was drinking a lot of alcohol, got a high GGT result, Doc said stop for 5 weeks and it will level out ... the person came back 5 weeks later and the GGT was higher. So they started eating clean for 5 weeks and it went back to range.
There were also many non-drinker/non-smokers inquiring as to why their GGT was raised.

I personally wouldn't have a big kava session, big heavy meals or any medications soon before testing because I don't wanna risk getting results that reflect normal liver processing. My test was also specifically done as a "fasting" blood test.

Looks like high GGT depletes your bodies Glutathione. There was a Tudei study once that said supplementing with NAC to boost Glutathione blocked the damaging properties of tudei consumption.
So in general I think a little extra Glutathione could benefit all of us who don't live a perfectly healthy life.
I personally take Milk Thistle here and there through out the week...but consume no supplements everyday.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Except nourishing herbal infusions ! Like Nettle, oat straw, red clover, and alfalfa leaf! These are food herbs .... you can consume ounces daily and only feel better !
Nettle is the highest saftey herb known to man.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
My understanding of the Hawaii/Tongan kava study (cited above) was that there was a flaw and/or questions raised in background checks for those participating.
This is my anecdotal comment from having some personal knowledge of the specifics. At the risk of writing anything I cannot prove, I'll say there may be a serious caveat with the study . I think there was something written up here in Hawaii about it...I will try and locate and post.

D

Deleted User01

@Henry, the results from my 9/2015 checkup don't have GGT but now it's on my list. I always get the AST AND ALT readings and mine are always low like in the 12-17 range.

Wait a minute!!! I see a GGT reading on 3/2015. A test I had done for some life insurance stuff. I got a reading of 31. Range is 0-65. It says GGT (GGTP). And I do kava like you but I may do 2 alcohol sessions a week but try to go easy on both. Anyway, I will have to keep an eye on that one.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Was it milk thistle that boosts glutathione? Been taking a teaspoon a day. It mightve been turmeric actually, can't remember.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Henry, the results from my 9/2015 checkup don't have GGT but now it's on my list. I always get the AST AND ALT readings and mine are always low like in the 12-17 range.

Wait a minute!!! I see a GGT reading on 3/2015. A test I had done for some life insurance stuff. I got a reading of 31. Range is 0-65. It says GGT (GGTP). And I do kava like you but I may do 2 alcohol sessions a week but try to go easy on both. Anyway, I will have to keep an eye on that one.
At 31 looks like your GGT is right where it is supposed to be. Do you feel bilious? (See cuz' GGT measures if your bile ducts are clogged... ;))

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
My understanding of the Hawaii/Tongan kava study (cited above) was that there was a flaw and/or questions raised in background checks for those participating.
This is my anecdotal comment from having some personal knowledge of the specifics. At the risk of writing anything I cannot prove, I'll say there may be a serious caveat with the study . I think there was something written up here in Hawaii about it...I will try and locate and post.
Could be..BUT it is commonly known (apparently) in kava drinking countries (such as New Zealand) that many kava users have higher GGT levels. Some of my older kava drinking friends say their doctors are all aware of this. Even my GP knew about it

Status
Not open for further replies.