What's new

Liver panel test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I want to go ahead and get a liver panel done to set up a base to compare it to down the road. Want to monitor the liver function over time. What do you guys ask for specifically when you go to your GP? Do you mention you are using Kava and want to monitor your liver? ect ect.

Thanks!

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Liver and Kidney are pretty standard when you get basic blood work done.
I told my doctor I drink kava everyday. I had perfect test results, other than cholesterol.
Shakas, what do you think is up with the cholesterol? I had the exact same thing. All liver numbers normal right down the middle but cholesterol was a little high (217 I think). I am thin, healthy and eat fast food never. I've not had high cholesterol before so I wonder if it is kava related. Also, I mentioned daily kava consumption to the doc, he had no idea what I was talking about, had never heard of kava.

D

Deleted User01

I'm pretty convinced that Kava helps to elevate cholesterol. It did in me. But I think I was going to end up with the problem anyway so it might aggravate the condition in those that are prone. I'm sure smokers of MJ get high cholesterol too but it's from eating Frito Pies, Moon Pies, and all manner of pie when they are stoned. Kava doesn't give me those kind of munchies so we can't blame he munchies. My liver panel was outstanding and especially for a guy who has had many habits over the course of many years.
To answer your question, the liver readings go by the name of AST and ALT on the Lab Result paper. The range is from 0-40. I have been scoring under 20 on both of them and so have many of our members. @Shakas, I don't think they automatically do those tests because I have some older printouts with no Liver Panel. Just be sure to tell your doc what you want and he will make sure to order it. Or just explain to the lab what you want.

Chaucer

Kava Curious
I too had high cholesterol (total=270 whereas it should be under 200) though my HDL-to-total cholesterol ratio was within range. I've read that the ratio is possibly more important than the total cholesterol. There is thread where others have posted their results at: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/blood-work-lab-results.6063/#post-7850
This thread reminded me that I need to get my next set of tests to compare it to my baseline from back in November. Just ordered it and will try to go in tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Last edited:

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
The LDL to HDL (bad vs. good cholesterol) makes the true difference! Maybe kava raises "good" cholesterol?
I read this here:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...olesterol_UCM_305561_Article.jsp#.VritkLIrK70
HDL cholesterol is considered “good” cholesterol because it helps remove LDL cholesterol from the arteries. Experts believe HDL acts as a scavenger, carrying LDL cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it is broken down and passed from the body. One-fourth to one-third of blood cholesterol is carried by HDL. A healthy level of HDL cholesterol may also protect against heart attack and stroke, while low levels of HDL cholesterol have been shown to increase the risk of heart disease.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
After reading several books and articles on cholesterol (mine is on the high side too), I am totally convinced that your cholesterol numbers matter diddly squat as long as you don't have heart disease. They matter even less if you're female and have no heart disease. As long as your ratios are good, I wouldn't worry excessively about numbers. Inflammation is the major contributing factor to heart disease - to all disease really. Inflammation originates from a lot of sources - stress being one of them. If kava relieves stress, then I strongly believe inflammation is lower.

I certainly would not take statins along with kava - statins are notorious (more than reported) for causing muscle weakness. Along with the muscle relaxation properties of some kavas I would say that this might be a cause for concern. I think if you're going to be concerned about numbers, then just keep an eye on your triglycerides. My liver panel function tests are always great, by the way.

Chaucer

Kava Curious
Ok, just got my latest results. Total Cholesterol is lower (now 240 - down from 270), but again the ratio is good, and my liver panel and everything else is all within range. For context, since my last test I have used kava 3-4 days a week. Last test was 3 months ago. Typically I will average 7 tablespoons of med. grind per day spread out between 3 sessions (morning, noon and before dinner).

blindy107

Kava Lover
There was a semi recent theory out of the U.K. I believe, stating that cholesterol plague buildup in the arteries was the body's way of reinforcing them when the walls were weakened.

Mind. Blown.

Jerome

Kava Lover
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/majority-of-hospitalized-heart-75668

MOST heart attack victims had normal cholesterol levels.

There was a semi recent theory out of the U.K. I believe, stating that cholesterol plague buildup in the arteries was the body's way of reinforcing them when the walls were weakened.

Mind. Blown.
I've heard that plaque build up is the body's response to inflammation. Cholesterol is used to heal the body, so a constant state of inflammation, from say, tobacco or excessive sugar, causes inflammation which the body tries to heal by increasing cholesterol.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I posted my liver panel test results on here a while back. Totally normal, and even slightly improved from shell-zero to 6 months later of pretty much daily drinking.

To contrast it, I showed my liver panel reacting to niacin, which damn near turned me into a cooked lobsterman.

For my body chemistry, long term use hasn't shown any issues. Good luck on your test. I hope you studied!

blindy107

Kava Lover
Same here aside from cholesterol as well. I'm about due for another physical though! I'll post updates.

Doctor visit story.
I go in for a physical last year. My doc is a good guy and he cracks me up. Well, towards the end of the exam he looks at me and says, "Todd... go ahead and pull those pants down and spread out on the table with your face down." All the while slipping on this diabolical latex glove.
I look at him and say, "Doc... this is going way too fast. You need to buy me some chocolates or some flowers or something."
He cracked up.
The glory of getting older.

Amen to that brother. I went back this year with my tail between my legs. Pardon the pun. He didn't ask this time and I left counting my blessings and literally skipping out of there. I ran once I left the door in case he remembered he may have forgot!
Phewwww. No thank you.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
My liver panels were never done as a grouped "liver panel" but always by individual test.

Blood:
AST - Aspartate Aminotransferase - Created in the liver when it's damaged or diseased
ALT - Alanine Aminotransferase - Also present when damage is being done to the liver.
ALP - Alkaline Phosphatase - High levels mean potential liver damage

Urine:
Bilirubin - Present when liver damage is occurring or has occurred.
Protein - Albumin is made in the liver and needs to be inside a healthy range.

I never took an ALP test, but these seem somewhat redundant to my layman's eye.

All of my levels were smack dab in the middle of the healthy range. And I'm not some super health nut. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.