What's new

Legality to import into the uk?

K

kavacurious

I have known for a long time that its banned for internal use however Ive been able to buy it a few times on ebay for not for internal purposes.

One of the main reasons I havent experimented more with kava is due to it being scarce and pricy here and obviously not the best stuff one could buy.

With this forum I now have sources for trusted suppliers but what will be the rules for importing it since I only bought it before when its already in the uk?

I wanna make sure it's all above board before I make any orders.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Note this post does not constitute any legal advice. It's just my opinion.
Relevant text: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3170/contents/made

"Prohibition of sale, supply and importation of any medicinal product consisting of or containing Piper methysticum (known as Kava-kava)
2. Subject to article 3 below, the sale, supply or importation of any medicinal product consisting of or containing—

1) belonging to the species Piper methysticum (known as Kava-kava); or

(b)an extract from such a plant,

is prohibited."

"Exceptions to the prohibition imposed by article 2
3. The prohibition imposed by article 2 above shall not apply where the medicinal product is—

5);

(c)imported from an EEA State, if the product—

(i)originates in an EEA State, or

(ii)originates outside the European Economic Area, but is in free circulation in member States,

and is being, or is to be, exported to an EEA State other than the United Kingdom;"

My questions:

Is kava root really a "medicinal product consisting of or containing Kava-kava"?
If not, does it then fall into the separate act:

"Prohibition on sale etc. of food consisting of or containing Kava-kava
3. No person shall—

(a)sell; or

(b)possess for sale or offer, expose or advertise for sale; or

(c)import into England from a country outside the United Kingdom,

any food consisting of or containing Kava-kava."

One of these laws was overturned by the Welsh Assembly. Not sure which. Note that possession itself does not appear to contravene any act.
Is kava root a food consisting of or containing kava-kava?

I would argue that my kava root powder is neither a food nor a medicinal product. Interpretation to the exceptions of the first act are also kind of tricky.

I would suggest ordering it and making sure whoever you order it from puts a label on the inside of the package saying 'Not for Human Consumption'. Kava is legal to import once it is not as a food or a medicine. There are shops (actual bricks and mortar high street shops) which have Kava for sale on the shelves, they just have it marked as 'Not for Human Consumption' or marked as a 'Souvenir' or 'Novelty Item Only'.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I would suggest ordering it and making sure whoever you order it from puts a label on the inside of the package saying 'Not for Human Consumption'. Kava is legal to import once it is not as a food or a medicine. There are shops (actual bricks and mortar high street shops) which have Kava for sale on the shelves, they just have it marked as 'Not for Human Consumption' or marked as a 'Souvenir' or 'Novelty Item Only'.
Well thats a Kool way to play the idiotic system!!! Great Tip!! (disclaimer: as long as it's not illegal)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
BTW I've eaten dog food in my college days years ago........... That's not fit for human consumption either, but I survived :)