What's new

Kava Physiology Kava, your liver, and you

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Other than what's continually articulated, I can't say enough no matter what type of safety and security measures kava research has contributed; everyone must check for possible interactions in their individual bodies. Because just one allergic reaction can be fatal and if this botanical happened to be the one to set it off, that'd be a tragedy, when such a thing could've been prevented with a smidgen of prudence. (y)

Though as I'm aware there has yet to be any credible cases of this occurring you never know when an individual with just the right genetic makeup or w/e will come along willy nilly and become an unfortunate statistic; that's really all I'm trying to explain with this. :)

blindy107

Kava Lover
@blindy107, I was going to say, @infraredz and a few others are some of our science guys. They have helped me immensely during my safe journey through Kavatopia. :shameshame: I think you will find all the answers to your kava questions here. I sure have. But my situation is a bit different. I have medical issues, and so dose my wife. So we want safety first. We both have a very addictive personalities. We have tried to just be sober, that sucks. We want a safe alternative to hard drugs, or drinking that can provide the same reword system that the drugs once did, but without any harmful effects. My wife and I are not getting any younger. I wont get into it right know, But We used to be pretty bad drug addicts. To some degree we are still coping with that. Kava seems to have potential, for relieving our addictive minds, without being addicted. If that makes sense. Its like this, I'm going to do something. Better that something be safe like Kava.

i understand entirely friend. My wife and i are both in recovery from drugs and drink. She was more about the drug and myself the drink. But very luckily we both got clean in our early 20s before more damage was done. I can empathize, but I enjoy being sober for what it is.

However physical sobriety provides no physical relaxation for me ;) it simply keeps me from doing more damage to myself and others. That is where kava steps in after a long day in the coal mines...not really, just heavy labor:happy: I feel no desire to pursue other drugs or anything. kava does what i need without being pushy.

Learning mental sobriety was the key for me.

blindy107

Kava Lover
oh and yes Roaddog. I'm more than amazed by some of the in-depth responses i've gotten here in 3 days. The sciencey shit is beyond me so i'm very glad to have Infraredz and others here as well....

thanks again fellas

Monkava'd

Blindy and Roadog, I'm ultimately above all other things, glad to hear that kava has been the benefactor on both your sides of life, and not a malicious parasitic worm like so many other harmful substances can be. Those creepy crawly type of addictive cretins that will cling until they've drained every drive previously sought, to rid the body of those ghouls.

This is what I'm more proud of than the relief it has provided myself throughout day in and day out. :D

A great Monday celebration to the both of you; there have been many people lost through addictions whom have no luxury of saying the same.
Not to say what you've been through wasn't wrought with hell fire, but the fact kava has the ability to help overcome hurdles, leaps and bounds such as this makes me crack a pretty hearty smile. :D

Roaddog

Kava Who?
So that's what that emoticon is! Perfect :D!! Here is some more support for your question (I love this place :love::kiss::D!)

It is awesome that your wife is getting relief in kava in so many ways! Best wishes for her continuing improved health and recovery!
Ya, @violet, this is a great thread. @Deleted User01 said kava scares the crap out of his digestive system. Maybe that's whats going on with my wife. Too funny. Ill have to tell her that is our scientific answer to why it makes you go, it scares the crap out of your stomach. You are awesome for showing me this thread, violet. But I must say, from what I gather from your posts, your pretty awesome.(y) Much love Roaddog...

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Blindy and Roadog, I'm ultimately above all other things, glad to hear that kava has been the benefactor on both your sides of life, and not a malicious parasitic worm like so many other harmful substances can be. Those creepy crawly type of addictive cretins that will cling until they've drained every drive previously sought, to rid the body of those ghouls.

This is what I'm more proud of than the relief it has provided myself throughout day in and day out. :D

A great Monday celebration to the both of you; there have been many people lost through addictions whom have no luxury of saying the same.
Not to say what you've been through wasn't wrought with hell fire, but the fact kava has the ability to help overcome hurdles, leaps and bounds such as this makes me crack a pretty hearty smile. :D
Unfortunately we are still going through it, just to a different degree. Meaning we no longer search, but our Doctors, have us on stuff we still need to get off of. My wife and I have been going through opiate like withdrawal, and soon will be tapering off Benzos too. So to us the wounds are very fresh. We take it one day at a time. Try to work hard, and get clean. Thank you for such incouraging words. Much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

Before derailing this thread offtopic like a dear in the headlights I will say,
Unfortunately we are still going through it, just to a different degree. Meaning we no longer search, but our Doctors, have us on stuff we still need to get off of. My wife and I have been going through opiate like withdrawal, and soon will be tapering off Benzos too. So to us the wounds are very fresh. We take it one day at a time. Try to work hard, and get clean. Thank you for such incouraging words. Much love. Roaddog....
No problem RoadDog it's my duty to be supportive (y), just don't let those darn practitioners with those "a, b, and c's" behind there names tell you what for alright! Unless it is implicit to your knowledge what's going into your bodies. Especially since salt in fresh wound stings, burns and eventually necrosis; best wishes for you and your wife RoadDog, stay strong and live long. :D

My advice is just that though; if the medicine is a requirement than let it be so, but if you know damn well that there are better options in availability and it's due to the money filling their pockets :rolleyes:, let them know it's not in your best interest to continue with those practices sir. ;)

Again, I am no doctor and make no recommendations. (y)

Roaddog

Kava Who?
My advice is just that though; if the medicine is a requirement than let it be so, but if you know damn well that there are better options in availability and it's due to the money filling their pockets :rolleyes:, let them know it's not in your best interest to continue with those practices sir. ;)

Again, I am no doctor and make no recommendations. (y)
Well you hit the nail on the head there. I do not need to be on these drugs. There are safer options. I cant be bound in life to having to stay in one spot, and see one doctor my whole life. My name is really Roaddog, I have hitchhiked, jumped freight trains, I have ran all over a few countries, with nothing more than my wife, and backpacks. I cant be bound. Its like having shackles around my legs. I have hitchhiked from New York City, To San Francisco, a good 3 or 4 times, and a whole lot of other places in between. If you live in the US, Canada, or Mexico. There's a good chance you have seen me on an off ramp some where. Its been a few years since we did that. But the thought on not being able to do it, even if I never do again, is unexceptiable. Thanks again. Having a great Monday on the farm. Got the blender going, you know what that means.:shameshame: I always feel like I should really load down the smileys when Im talking with you violet, wonder why that is? Much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

I'll tell you what Roaddog, I feel the same with those smilies:D; I take it as a contagion, and whether it's a result of being on a forum without a real means of vocal expression, it really helps to convey colloquially or formally what's been said.

Sometimes it's more necessary than others and people may react irrationally towards something as simple as a joke when emoticons are not in place.

Though I understand there's a limit to everything and every now and again I cross that line with the amount used; they're just so......expressive :smuggrin:....
I'd like to post something here but if it inadvertently takes up to much space I'll remove it and send it through conversation Roaddog.(y)

One final note, in retrospect, Kavasseur the other day unknowingly helped jar my brain to realize just how incomprehensible I become when I arrive at the forums in a bad disposition and that's just one other thing I can't thank him enough for, because honestly for the many reasons we're all here, the main purpose is kava; and kavas purpose is to heal, relax or relieve stress. Not to become a fulcrum for it. ;)

I feel so much better now that I've made it a duty to never post here if my moods nothing but vibrant. :)

Here's what I wanted to portray and if it's too much off topic or derailing I'll remove it asap; this is in respect to what the recollection of freedom both your wife and you enjoy/enjoyed, which is exactly what this contends.

The short version since I know this doesn't directly apply to kava and this being a very important thread shouldn't be derailed.

"Live for yourself, to respect and help others but ultimately remember to ask at the last thread of your life, were you truly happy or did you live that very life to fulfill others needs, wants and in the same way, desires?"

The long version is in the attachment.

I know a lot of that may be rambling; and even if so this isn't my viewpoint but my best effort to implore what the elderly have contended as their very last perspective.

This personally comes off as picture perfect of what lies in the back of our minds even right now whether it's something we choose not to believe or know it, but choose to push away. And eventually at the last moment that door comes a'knocking there may not be not time to shut it up.
We don't have to "live every day as your last", maybe the operative saying would be to live forever in privilege of our lives.
Man I really struggle with this and I'm very sorry for my banter :facepalm:, take from it what you will because I feel I'll likely be perplexed until the clocks hit its mark. :wacky:

Attachments

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well my Dearest @violet , my references to your smiley, was meant as a compliment. Its part of your way of posting that I so enjoy. To me I feel like I'm actually talking to you, very pleasant surprise. You have such a unique way of saying things. I have not yet read the long version, but I'm getting to it. Thank you for all your support. And keep smilling:LOL: Much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

Darn re-re-edit because dammit I must be tired to not see that the post *was* actually meant to be in my direction so again I must say.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I appreciate that RoadDog! :woot: :love:Though my name's not violet :smuggrin:.......maybe if I've had 12+ tblsp of kava it just might be:wacky:;). :LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:
Seriously I think I'm gonna bust a gut over here still after re-reading that! :cry::ROFLMAO:

Again I know this was meant to be directed towards me; I've done it before too and I honestly appreciate it but oh man this cracks me up...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I need to get my overdue zzzz's now sir but thanks for the inadvertent laugh, I truly needed that. (y)

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Darn re-re-edit because dammit I must be tired to not see that the post *was* actually meant to be in my direction so again I must say.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I appreciate that RoadDog! :woot: :love:Though my name's not violet :smuggrin:.......maybe if I've had 12+ tblsp of kava it just might be:wacky:;). :LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:
Seriously I think I'm gonna bust a gut over here still after re-reading that! :cry::ROFLMAO:

Again I know this was meant to be directed towards me; I've done it before too and I honestly appreciate it but oh man this cracks me up...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I need to get my overdue zzzz's now sir but thanks for the inadvertent laugh, I truly needed that. (y)
Sorry I don't know where I got Violet at. I had a few spoonfulls last night too. Thanks for all your support, and words of wisdom. They come, greatly appreciated. Much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

Sorry I don't know where I got Violet at. I had a few spoonfulls last night too. Thanks for all your support, and words of wisdom. They come, greatly appreciated. Much love. Roaddog....
I apologize Roaddog because even if you were laughing to that doesn't constitute my reasoning for *that* much immaturity.
I was under the pretense that I was laughing "with" you and not at you; but I can easily see how it could've been misinterpreted as the latter and I really do appreciate you as a member of this forum sir. I hope there was no harm done and know that I laughed because it was something anyone might have done; but it just happened to hit more left field than was intended, ya know? :D

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I apologize Roaddog because even if you were laughing to that doesn't constitute my reasoning for *that* much immaturity.
I was under the pretense that I was laughing "with" you and not at you; but I can easily see how it could've been misinterpreted as the latter and I really do appreciate you as a member of this forum sir. I hope there was no harm done and know that I laughed because it was something anyone might have done; but it just happened to hit more left field than was intended, ya know? :D
No worries, I thought we were laughing together too. Its all good. Much love. Roaddog....(y)

fungaloid

Myco-nut
Aqueous extracts of noble kava have been used in the Pacific Islands for thousands of years, without any increased incidence of liver damage.
I have reason to believe that this statement is false.

My mother in law lived in hawaii for 22 years, and made friends with a
lot of the indigenous islanders, she is also a nurse. She says that liver
damage (and jaundice) is common with long term kava use, even in
folks who only use the fresh root.

I don't think she has any reason to lie to me, she gains nothing from
telling me that it does cause liver problems.

D

Deleted User01

Fungaloid, that is very, very disturbing. Anything can cause Liver damage including Tylenol and Alcohol. Did she notice if they were combining them. I wonder if there are any statistics about the percent who have problems. And them compare it to the same statistics for Alchohol. Are you we talking about people who drink every day and how much do they drink. We need those statistics for sure. And don't forget, she may be telling you this just to discourage you from doing it just like anyone's mother would do. It would be nice if those stats were published somewhere.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
We actually had this discussion recently, in that well most Pacific Islands have shitty healthcare systems and liver damage, caused by kava or otherwise, might go unreported. I would have expected to hear about it from Hawaii though which has a modern healthcare system and has had near universal insurance for a long time.

D

Deleted User01

Yes Kavadude but you are just confirming that there is damage when we have been saying all along that there is no damage. So are we wrong in assuming Kava is safe?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I don't know, I'm saying if there is increased incidence of liver damage in kava users in Hawaii I would have expected there to be papers written about it etc.