What's new

Kava Hangover

Hello friends,

I tried Kava from realkava.com and this is m first experience with Kava. I make like Gary describes in his video. (blender and strainer bag)

First time last friday I tried 2 teaspoons in 500ml water with no effects. Next day I tried 2 tablespoons in 500ml water and felt a relaxing bodyfeeling for maybe 15 minutes. But nothing which impressed me. I expected more from Kava after reading in the internet about it´s effects. But the taste is great!

Now I´m a bit disappointed. But I have to explain my situation first:

I had anxiety "problems". I had 3 pnic attacks in summer last year and after that many problem with anxiety and depressive phases. I went and still go to a psychotherapist which definitively helps. I don´t have panic attacks anymore and my anxiety is reduced nearly to normal niveau without any medication. But it requires that I don´t use any drugs like alcohol. When I use alcohol I alway get a bad hangover with anxiety and depressive mood for 3-7 days until i slowly get stable and happier again.

So without using any drugs I´m now best stable with normal mood I would say.

But on Sunday (one day after using 2 tablespoons Kava) I felt a likewise effect related to alcohol hangover. I don´t mean side effects like headache or so. I mean psychologically. I felt more afraid, so as if I could easier get anxiety. Also which a depressed mood.

Nothing really bad, but for me maybe more dangerous than for somebody which had´t experienced panic before because then u are more likely to fall back in old circles of thinking and feeling.

Now my question is if somebody experienced the same problem? Maybe there is kind of hangover which is so subtle that a psychologically healthy person doesn't connect this with kava kava or really doesn't feel different....

And how many tablespoons are you using to get some enhancement in mood a really relaxed. I would like it as alcohol replacement before I go out with friends...Or maybe  I can treat my alcohol hangover with kava so I won´t experience anxiety and depression next days after party....

Because now I weren´t on a party for 5 months. Having difficultys to have fun without drugs on parties...:/

kind regards,

Santino

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome to the Kava Lounge, Santino!

I think if you read these message boards for the threads that discuss anxiety and depression, you will find that many of us have successfully found RELIEF from these symptoms with regular kava use. Occasionally, someone reports an increase in anxiety after use but the general consensus is that this is in response to the brain's anticipation of the unknown effects of kava. It tends to pass once one becomes "in-tune" to the effects.

The amount of kava you need to use is dependent upon the strain of kava and the person. Therefore, no good answer exists for this one but the general rule of thumb is 2 tablespoons per cup which means you halved the recommended dose: 1 cup = 237ml. I have never purchased from realkava.com so I cannot comment on the strength of those strains. Also bear in mind that many people need to break through reverse tolerance, meaning that kava needs to be used regularly for a period of time to allow the kavalactones to build up in their systems before the effects are fully felt. Lastly, always drink your kava on an empty stomach - allow 4-5 hours to pass after your last meal for maximum effect.

As far as kava being a party drug, your mileage may vary. Most find kava to be sedating and relaxing so the last thing you will want to do is go to a rave after a session. More likely, you will want to chill out and listen to music or hit the sack.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Ditto to everything KK said. For me (and others) it took about a month to break through the reverse tolerance. Before that I felt little to nothing.

As far as a hangover, I've never had that. If I have any lingering feelings the morning after a session with a heavy kava, it's still a fairly warm relaxed experience. It's important to stay hydrated though.

kl.kavalactone3

Kava Curious
I've never experienced a hangover with the heavier strains. I usually get, like Ed described, very warm, kinda afterglow feelings. And i'm not sure on the half life of kavalactones but the next day even though the euphoric and muscle relaxation effects are mostly absent, My anxiety levels are very low throughout the next day after a nightime sesh.

Thank you all for the helping answers.

I always had empty stomach. I used 2 tablespoons for 500 ml so this is jalf the dose yes...I will try more:) but then its not cheap anymore...:/ The problem also is, that it is very difficult to import Kava to Germany because it is restricted here. Just had luck wirh the customs:)

Can you tell me more about the reverse tolerance? To break trough it, do I have to use Kava daily? Or every other day?

When I don't used Kava for a while: do I have the same "problem" again feeling nothing the first times? Or is the reverse tolerance gone forever?

Yesterday I tried it again with a friend. This time I felt a more relaxing feeling of my body and wanted to listen to music but the effect lasts just for 30 minutes or so...:/.

I used 4 tablespoons for 4 cups of water.

And another question: The people with depression: I think the depression and anxiety comes back as soon as they stop wirh Kava, is that right?

Thanks again for answering

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Santino87 said:
And another question: The people with depression: I think the depression and anxiety comes back as soon as they stop wirh Kava, is that right?
Could you be more specific? A literal reading of this is that one is depressed as soon as kava is no longer being actively swallowed.

I mean:

Someone is depressed. He begins taking Kava Kava every evening and over time the symptoms are gone. I think that the symptoms will come back if the person did not change her thoughts and behavior which caused the depression as soon as the impact from kava is gone.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Santino87 said:
I mean:

Someone is depressed. He begins taking Kava Kava every evening and over time the symptoms are gone. I think that the symptoms will come back if the person did not change her thoughts and behavior which caused the depression as soon as the impact from kava is gone.
Probably well before, since if they're no longer able to obtain a fresh supply of kava, either their government has turned itself against kastom and against goodness and humanity by outlawing kava, or they can no longer afford kava, or they have somehow found themselves allergic to kava.  Any one of these nightmare scenarios is enough to drive anyone into a deep, soul-crushing depression.

When I found out I wasn't going to be given a raise this year, it frightened me.  I usually spend a good portion of my annual bonus on a supply of kava, sometimes as much as $700.  Now, I have to stretch what I have longer.  It's depressing.

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
Personally I love the Kava feeling in the morning. So relaxed, so clear and calm. A little coffee and a smoke of my favorite brand... (winkwink) and I am ready to face the day. This is the super soma triple play for me. I don't know if it could cure depression etc but I feel it certainly scares it away a bit ;)

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
Your High-ness, my brand contains NO tobacco and is currently listed as an illegal substance by my own government who has declared an unconstitutional "war" on users of it based on racist policies that have been in place since the 1930's and I suppose due to these policies, in spite of having an african american (pothead) president and states upturning federal laws, still in effect are in place. It has been used from thousands of years and has a long history of medicinal and spiritual use. Tobacco products are really a disgusting example of conversion of a powerful beneficial herb and into an addictive poisonous death trap for profit, much in the same way crack is to the gentle coca leaf. I appreciate Tobacco as a medicinal herb for it's history but have been permanently inoculated against desire to use it or even smell it from my kent and camel huffing parents.(smiley: laugh)

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
yes i find after a heavy session, i feel very tired and depressed-however, I do not feel nausea like a typical booze hangover. That's really my only complaint with this stuff..i'm so bloody tired!

What do you mean with "after a session"? I meant the day after usage...

Can anybody tell me more about the reverse tolerance? When build up, does it go away so that I have to build it up again?

Do I have to take Kava daily to break through it and then take it minimal 3x per week or so?

Because I just want to use Kava maybe 1-2 times a week.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
not positive how long before u breakthrough, it might be different from person to person. I believe once you do it shouldnt go away if u are drinking once a week, but i'm not sure because i drink daily and have never stopped :)

you can achieve it faster if u drink daily for a while, then cut back to 1-2 a week, the more u drink the faster it will go.

some people on her have also had success with taking gaia pills daily to build tolerance, and you wont feel much during the week if u arent in the mood for kava

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
FWIW, Tobacco is awesome, just not in cigarette form. Cigars are one of my favorite things in this world and I cant imagine a world without them. Cigarettes are disgusting and dangerous. In cigar and pipe form tobacco can be really enjoyable, non-addictive, and relatively safe.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
A cigar can definitely be enjoyable.... never tried a pipe, but I bet I would look awesome smoking one.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
I got into pipe smoking a few years back. It really is another world that most people don't even realize exists. I did it mainly because I quit smoking cigarettes, and wanted to reward myself for not smoking by smoking. :)

There are a ton of different pipe tobacco blends out there and they all taste different depending on what pipe you put them in. It makes for some interesting combinations. I like English and Oriental blends best. Some VaPer (Virginia/Perique) blends are good too.

I went through a phase where I spent about $600 on estate pipes through Ebay. This may seem like a lot for 8 pipes, but in reality it is not considering that a new Dunhill can cost $600 or more on its own.

I haven't smoked much the last year and a half though, as my living arrangements haven't allowed it and I live in a cold climate. I'm not about to sit outside in 15 degree F temperatures for an hour to finish a pipe. It is extremely relaxing though. I'll have to try a few shells while sipping on my favorite, Squadron Leader, one of these days.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
KavaKrunked said:
I got into pipe smoking a few years back. It really is another world that most people don't even realize exists. I did it mainly because I quit smoking cigarettes, and wanted to reward myself for not smoking by smoking. :)

There are a ton of different pipe tobacco blends out there and they all taste different depending on what pipe you put them in. It makes for some interesting combinations. I like English and Oriental blends best. Some VaPer (Virginia/Perique) blends are good too.

I went through a phase where I spent about $600 on estate pipes through Ebay. This may seem like a lot for 8 pipes, but in reality it is not considering that a new Dunhill can cost $600 or more on its own.

I haven't smoked much the last year and a half though, as my living arrangements haven't allowed it and I live in a cold climate. I'm not about to sit outside in 15 degree F temperatures for an hour to finish a pipe. It is extremely relaxing though. I'll have to try a few shells while sipping on my favorite, Squadron Leader, one of these days.
I too went through a pipe phase and bought a lot of 25 estate pipes from Ebay (only a few really good ones). Pipe smoking is definitely unique. I enjoy a pipe when the weather is nice and I dont have the time to commit to a cigar. I know next to nothing about the tobbacos or blends though. I've tried maybe 6 or 7 different types, but havent been keeping notes. Cigars is where my heart is.