What's new

Kava and caffeine

lucas123

Sometimes I use kava with a cup of coffee in the evenings, and I don't have any trouble going to sleep.
Does anyone else have experience with kava and caffeine, and does it affect your sleep?

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Yes. Kava potentiates coffee, but not the other way around. Literature says that kava prolongs the half-life of caffeine. Both affect my sleep, caffeine affects adversely, kava is neutral or affects adversely, depending on the strain.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sometimes I use kava with a cup of coffee in the evenings, and I don't have any trouble going to sleep.
Does anyone else have experience with kava and caffeine, and does it affect your sleep?
Some can do it, others can't. I enjoy the combo sometimes during the day but it I usually find one or the other best on it's own. I am the kind of person that drinks kava all day, during the week and I'll stop when I punch out lol, sometimes a little later after dinner but not much.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I have only relatively recently (a few years) started drinking coffee and I find that I can have a good kava session in the evening and then the following day have a morning coffee without too many problems, maybe sometimes a little bit more stimulated than usual but nothing worse than that. I find though that if I have had a good, strong coffee in the afternoon and then drink kava a few hours later then I can get a bit more nausea than I would usually expect. I personally would never mix the two but as @Groggy says maybe some people will be able to.

I only drink heavy or sometimes balanced to heavy, rarer some balanced kavas and so I tend to sleep really well after my kava and given the above I don't find that the coffee affects it either way but then I'm not combining the two in the evening.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I tend to a lot more lurking these days around here (I am still around though lol). However, if you look through my post history you can see some of my experiences with Kava and coffee.

Unlike most here it seems, Kava (by itself) messes up my sleep patterns. I can’t seem to get into a good deep sleep when I have a shell a few hours before bed. I have followed this non scientifically with a smart watch. My REM sleep will increase about 30 or more minutes, but deep sleep will drop to below an hour on my typical 7.5 hours of rest. After a few nights like that, I begin to feel fatigued and brain fogged. So no way will I personally mix the two at evenings.

I keep my Kava time to days I can sleep in a bit. That being said, I still use about 1 tsp of cheap micronized (Kona from Amazon) in my morning coffee. It adds abit of a better kick and helps keeps my muscles from cramping. Kava Kandies are my go to when I have a flare up or want to add a little Krunk Necromancy to a good Friday night kava session. :)

Last edited: