What's new

How long without kava to break down "real" tolerance? What's the strongest kava at the moment?

kl.arkitech

Kava Curious
For the past 2 months or so I've been doing the toss and wash method (which I don't actually recommend). It actually started when I was running low on kava and I decided to just do a toss since I did'nt have much remaining. It was a very nice buzz, so I decided to try it a few more times when I got my next batch in the mail. The drawback to this is that all that kava plant material being ingested can severely leave you with dry skin. In my case it caught up with me after about 7-8 weeks. I usually only drink kava about once or twice a week, so maybe that's why it did'nt bother me before then. At any rate, in addition to the dry skin issues I noticed I had to drink more to get even a mild effect. So now I'm currently on my 2nd or 3rd week without any kava and just wondering how much longer I would need to go before my tolerance level is back to normal. Also since I obviously don't want to toss and wash again, wondering what the strongest kava strains are right now. How much kava do you guys drink in a day/evening?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
About the skin drying effects I completely agree. Unstrained kava wrecked my skin. It looked like I had a tiger pattern tattoo on my back and I would leave bleeding spots on my shirts. No fun. Never will do that again.

I think you may be having a see-saw effect with reverse tolerance that's looking like actual tolerance. I have been drinking for nearly a decade daily, and never have had to increase my amount. In a normal day I will consume 55-60 grams of traditionally prepared kava in one sitting. In defense of the real tolerance effect I have noticed that the effects will vary day to day and from bag to bag. I'm no doctor, so I can't say for sure, but it may be possible to develop a tolerance. I just haven't seen it personally.

I'm not sure whether you've switched from drinking it straight up to preparing it traditionally, but if you have you'll definitely notice a difference in potency. Drinking unstrained powder is the most powerful way to consume kava, but also the most harmful in terms of dehydrating effects and skin dermopathy.

If there is a real tolerance effect I would think 3 weeks would be plenty to reverse it. BUT, and this is a big BUT, you may then re-experience the reverse tolerance effects. Kavalactones require a dose of somewhere around 250mg to have anxiolytic properties, and we usually push it quite a bit further than that. Since the required amount is so high it's generally regarded that levels have to build up for us to really experience the true breadth of effect kava has. Hence the perceived reverse tolerance.

My money is on if you continue to consume strained, traditionally prepared kava you'll eventually find the amount that suits you and you'll stick with it.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I still tend to toss and wash more often than not, and I do get dermopathy if I do it too much. Definitely not something you can do daily for long periods. I agree with kapm though, I don't find I build any tolerance to kava. I find some days it works better than others, but its not about the amount. Sometimes a little will do, sometimes a lot won't do much. It's a weird substance.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I definitely haven't run into any tolerance issues. I tend to hit the kava really hard for a week or two straight and then get dry lips which is my sign to take some time off, so maybe that would explain it. As far as strong kavas I find stone, nambawan and koniak to be pretty strong.